Front Door skins

heinkeljb

Front Door skins

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch being rather ancient (1973 vintage), has a set of canvas front doors. The canvas obviously is now starting to wear so thin that A) it is no longer very water proof and B) is starting to disintegrate particularly around the stitching.

So I have been umm'ing and Ah'ing about what to do about them. The plastic "windows" are also suffering and at least one is difficult to look through.

I believe there is someone who re-skins them - in mainland Europe which, no doubt adds a significant carriage cost to the possibility of having someone else do them. Any one know who it is that does them, contact details? Any idea of the cost - either just the re-skinning or the total round trip seal?

It might be that as I want to get a canvas rear cover as well at some point, that I will have to make / sew all the canvas stuff myself. Has anyone else done that = any tips to avoid the pitfalls?

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bobmog

Re: Front Door skins

Post by Bobmog »

Mine are plex glass and they are great. Wonderful visiabily. They have probably been like this for 20+years.
Attachments
DSC00238.JPG
DSC00234.JPG
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Now, there's a thought!! :mrgreen:

I like the idea of putting Plexiglass on to the frame work of the door. How thick is the stuff you have on yours? I might try the Cordex (same stuff as the existing windows) route rather than a more rigid version., If I used "P" clips I could fix it to the outside of the frames without changing anything other than removing the canvas, which is happening all by itself!!

I think I will need to find a water tight tray that is big enough to hold a complete door, so I can soak the frame in a solution of citric acid to remove all the rust from all those inaccessible places.... Did that with the tool box in a dustbin, but a door is a different shape.

I really like this idea as it could be done over a weekend without any complex operations needing to be carried out to get the canvas stretched tight in all directions.

Can I ask how have you sealed the edges, the original doors have a rubber sponge leading edge, have you kept that?

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Really like that idea, full plexiglass doors, fitted to original frames.

Last Summer we re-roofed our Lions club Catering van, and we used a large sheet of plexiglass, ordered from a cycle/bush shelter supplier. Next day delivery, if you want the details I can get them great stuff.

It can be cut with an angle grinder or Jig saw.

Any one know where I can get some door hinges from? Any condition?
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

The hinges could be easily fabricated. The chances of finding an original set would be tough to say the least.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I'm sure that the door hinges are available from Haflinger Technik - I bought some not that long ago. If not, then it would have been from Prokschi
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bobmog

Post by Bobmog »

Looks to be about 1/8 inch thick. You could easily put weather sripping on it, but I haven't. Where I am located it snows 400 to 500 inches per winter so I just wear warm clothing. I am not sure if it is tecnically plexiglass but that is how I would describe it. It seems to be very scratch resistant.
Bob
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
photo 2 (2).JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 1 (2).JPG