engine rebuild from start

Vampyr

engine rebuild from start

Post by Vampyr »

Hi guys, new to this forum. I am wanting to rebuild a engine from scratch in Australia. First off I am looking for information on , is there a engine gasket kit available, can you fit vw cylinders and pistons, are bearings and valves available, are there alternatives. Any wisdom greatly appreciated. danny
heinkeljb

Re: engine rebuild from start

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome Danny,

Engine gasket kit is available, although I am not sure anyone in OZ sells them. Certainly available in the UK, Germany, Italy and USA. VW pistons can be fitted, but there is some machining work that needs to be done.
Bearing are available from the same sources as the gaskets.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Thanks John, I am greatly enjoying all the information contained in this forum. I bought 2 Haflingers from a farmer here. Both need a lot of work however the bodies are in good condition. Fortunately for me 2 of my neighbours are both good mates and mechanics. It is the detailed knowledge from you guys that will be invaluable. I must say I am envious of LURCH, great name. I take it the gasket kit is available at Haflinger techknic, I have almost all the engine just looking for words of wisdom as to do'es and don'ts as I want to get it right from the beginning. Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

They have the gasket kit as i bought one some time ago from them and i can't see them running out long term. Even if they don't have right at the moment, They are likely to get further supplies in. There are always the other suppliers of parts as mentioned.

Lurch was so named because setting off from a stand still is almost always a "lurch" until you get used the clutch - I let my friend drive it for the first time and guess what happened? Yup, lurched away from the line.... So Lurch stuck.

Hopefully, Gary will read this thread and reply soon. He has literally just had his engine rebuilt - with VW cylinders. If i remember correctly, he had to buy a set which means 4 barrels!

I take it you have purchased a repair manual and a parts book? Without these building an engine is going to be difficult!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Yes got both, I have the original cylinders and their in good condition, have sent email to technik about parts, will look for other avenues, found a place in Melbourne that does spare parts for haflinger but not really engines. Will post some photo's of the haffy, have separated the body and mounted on a rolling frame for when I get to the body work. Need to strip the gearbox off seems stuck and can't change gears. I am sure that by the time I have cleaned off 30 years of Western New South Wales dirt I could start my own vegetable garden. Am enjoying the strip down, have not bloodied my hands yet, then again its not an old landrover. Danny
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Danny and welcome to the forum.

I tend to deal with Haflinger Technik to get most of my parts as they are competitive in price, helpful and have much of the stuff I have needed.

I bought my Haflinger sight unseen a couple of years back as a registered runner bit as usual not all was at it seemed. It had a VW big bore kit, a different carby, different exhaust and a hi spec electronic ignition system.

From the start it certainly went well but seemed to have issues. Since then the carby has been changed back to its original, the exhaust back to original, the ignition back to original. Tuning brought power back but highlighted deficiencies in the big bore modification. The piston in number one 1 cylinder was just kissing the head and the piston cracked - number 2 cylinder was fine - machining tolerances on Number 1 were just a bit too tight.

I have just had new Mahle VW 86mm barrels and pistons installed - the pistons have to be machined.

In the old conversion the heads were machined to fit the tops of the VW barrels but when I took them off there were small cracks where the push rod tubes go through the head - just a bit too much metal needed to come off. Not an issue as such but a point for future failure. In my current build I used an older set of heads I had and machined the tops of the barrels rather than the heads.

The car has only been back together for a week and only covered 120km so only time will tell.

Contact Goatwerks (USA) on this forum - he would have to be the world expert on modified Haflinger engines.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Also Leo Castiglione out of San Diego he builds these motors for Haflingers and Fiat 500's. He built my extreemly nice 700cc motor for my Bantam Haflinger and it is amazing, I have put about 7,000 miles on her so far and once she was all sorted out she has ran flawlessly. Just shy of 40hp and a tork monster. Leo is also on this site.
http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=672
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Thanks for the info guys , really good knowledge getting around on this forum. Goatwerks seem brilliant. I bought these haffy's off a farmer up in wellington. He speaks highly of you Gary, as he has told me of your Gurkha swap. Saw your series 1, good projects. Came across 5, some years ago not far from you. Had a farm at Araluen. Long story short did not know their value including a 1948 firewall. Anyway finally have got Haflingers, I remember when they were in the Army as a teenager, but mostly saw them on recruiting displays. I like the photo of yours in the mountains, I guess that's up in the Snowies. I saw a post from you about 12 inch tyres, I found mine on International Tyre Trader for $46 dollars each pick up. Thanks for all the responses guys, greatly enjoying doing this and the positive forum certainly keeps that good feeling about restoring mine. Regards Danny
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Vampyr wrote:I bought these haffy's off a farmer up in wellington. He speaks highly of you Gary, as he has told me of your Gurkha swap.
Different Garry.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Sorry Garry, thought this was you. danny