One 12" wheel, and a oil bath mount cyclone intake.....

Czechsix

One 12" wheel, and a oil bath mount cyclone intake.....

Post by Czechsix »

Preferably in North America, but if I get desperate enough.......

thanks folks, let me know what you have
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Re: One 12" wheel, and a oil bath mount cyclone intake.....

Post by heinkeljb »

Are you after the oil bath filter in the engine bay or the filter that is fitted on the front of a haf? that one doesn't have the oil bath section but uses the same cyclone idea.
Have both s/h if you really get stuck.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Howdy John,

I'm looking for the small cyclone filter that comes off of the oil bath filter. I think it's probably the same animal that's on front of the tropical models. In any case, I've got the extended intake tube, but I operate very frequently in really dusty areas...thought a cyclone filter would be a good addition!

Let's see if anyone else pops up on this side of the pond, or if you feel like it...shoot me a pm with your price and I'll get back to you. Not a large item, so might be (relatively) cheap to mail?
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i have some of the cyclonic inlets . as were fitted to the front on Australian Haflingers

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I"m pretty sure that they're the same as the oil bath mounted units, right Kerry?

If so...LMK what condition/price/etc
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i think they are .
but i have only seen them mounted on the front .
so i do not know for sure .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The one on the front, mounts onto a fitting that takes the air through the front that is 42.2mm in outside diameter.

The inlet pipe on the oil bath air filter is also 42.2mm so the front type should the same as the one that goes on the oil bath air filter - certainly will fit.

Though I am not sure what use it really is in the engine bay as the cyclonic air filter only really works for heavy large items like leaves and other vegetable type material that is supposed to be too heavy for the cyclone to hold up - heavy dust will still stay in the air flow and go to the oil bath that will collect heavier dust with the paper filter taking care of the fine dust.

But the front cyclone filter will fit.

Cheers

Garry
Last edited by AustHaflinger on Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yep, same item then.

The factory parts catalog does show it as an installation. I've got to think that it helps in extremely dusty areas, at least a bit. The air intake being placed where it is doesn't help things out...at least in the non-tropic version that I've got.

Anyway.....any little improvement helps, I'm thinking. Better to have as little dust coming in as possible. I could just fab a honking big canister filter, but where's the fun in that?
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The reality is that modern paper filters are more than adequate. My other two big 4wds only have single paper element air filters and both see far more dust than the majority of haffies (even with the engine in the back sucking dust in). The 101 is changed every 24,000km and the Rangie about 40,000km with everyday use and when offroad checked regularly and shaken out each day (to stop them clogging) if in bull dust country.

The reason is that when paper elements were first used in the Haffie they were maybe not as good as they are now - the oil path filter combined with a modern paper replacement filter is more than enough to cope - bit the little cyclone add on does look good.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Good point about the tech changing. I use a big Baldwin filter on both the Cummins and the Ford diesels, same element that's used for lots of desert racers out here. Much more efficient, huge amounts of surface area, etc.

The main key is the oil bath filter, I'm a huge fan of them. More maintenance, but if they're working right they're terrifically efficient. But like you say....it does look good. :D
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Update: Found the cyclone, still looking for a wheel...
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Got the wheels too....