fuel measure

ogdenenterprise

fuel measure

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I remember seeing on eBay quite a while ago, a metal ruler type measuring stick for checking how much petrol was in the tank. Has anyone any photos of the ruler or better still, has one for sale.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Re: fuel measure

Post by AustHaflinger »

Cant help but my VDO fuel gauge combined with the standard Haflinger low fuel level light work a treat :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

My dash board has not got the hole for a fuel gauge and the tank has not got the sender unit, all I have is the low fuel light

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I know people who just have a stick to dunk in the tank. Not sure how you convert that level into how many miles you have left in the tank, but presumably you know how many miles you get to a tankfull. Then measure how far up your stick a full tank is. Divide that length up against number of miles per tank. Not sure that will work for offroading, but at least you will know if you need to put in petrol if the dip stick doesn't get wet when you dunk the tank!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

ogdenenterprise wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 am My dash board has not got the hole for a fuel gauge and the tank has not got the sender unit, all I have is the low fuel light

Dave
Easily fixed with a 2" hole saw, some sealant and screws and some wiring 8-)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:30 am I know people who just have a stick to dunk in the tank. Not sure how you convert that level into how many miles you have left in the tank, but presumably you know how many miles you get to a tankfull. Then measure how far up your stick a full tank is. Divide that length up against number of miles per tank. Not sure that will work for offroading, but at least you will know if you need to put in petrol if the dip stick doesn't get wet when you dunk the tank!!

John
Or just drive until the red light comes on (5 litres left), then put the fuel in the jerry can in the main tank and then find a garage to fuel up - refilling the Jerry can :D - I always carry the Jerry in its holder with it full.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary, he doesn’t have the low fuel warning sensor like you, so he will never get a red light!

Low fuel warning is only in his head!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:03 pm Gary, he doesn’t have the low fuel warning sensor like you, so he will never get a red light!

Low fuel warning is only in his head!

John
Well that is no good - maybe he better get a better Haflinger :lol:

I dont think I could drive a vehicle without some sort of fuel level indication on the dash - would take any enjoyment in the drive wondering if I was about to run out of fuel.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry,
I have a Lwb Haf which has 2 tool boxes fitted where the jerry can fits on a Swb, as you can see in the attached older photos before I fitted the full canvas framework.

Dave
Attachments
20140830_125537.jpg
20140830_125524.jpg
ogdenenterprise

I've just had a thought would the jerry can holder fit between the fuel tank and the footwell on the passenger side. if so please disregard my last comment. I think I must have been having a senior moment.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well Dave if you had the sporty version of the Haflinger (700) 8-) rather than the pensioner LWB version (703) :lol: you could put the jerry can behind the main fuel tank and under the foot well. Not sure where they go on your version. Where do you put the spare wheel?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I give up!! Gary - I obviously had forgotten what was written earlier in the thread and added what "I thought" was written - Dave's LWB has the low fuel warning light but not a Fuel sender which I thought was fitted to all LWB - so probably only all LWB MkII's.

Dave you could retro fit a fuel sender and associated wiring and gauge to you fuel tank and most people would not know it was original or not - just like me!

Okay, so spare wheel on a long wheel base version goes on the righthand side under the two tool boxes. It is possible to make a "5 or 10 litre Jerry Can" (depends on the size and shape of the cans you can get) holder that would fit between the petrol tank on the left hand side and the passenger footwell as the passenger foot well is deeper on a LWB it wouldn't even drop below the fuel tank so would not get in the way. Something which is a long term plan to fit to Lurch, but I think dealing with the rust comes first!!

John

ogdenenterprise

Thanks for all the reply and suggestions,I have never seen a vertical bracket / holder that fits between the fuel tank and battery box. I want to keep everything as original so unless there is a factory designed holder I will just keep checking the fuel tank.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

ogdenenterprise wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:43 pm Thanks for all the reply and suggestions,I have never seen a vertical bracket / holder that fits between the fuel tank and battery box. I want to keep everything as original so unless there is a factory designed holder I will just keep checking the fuel tank.

Dave
This looks like one - the remains of a jerry holder can be seen between the tank and battery box on a LWB. On a SWB the jery lies flat under the rear footwell but on this LWB it would seem the jerry lies on its long end with the filler at the top in the slot between the main fuel tank and battery box in the bracket you can see.
australia30.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

This one has a 10 litre jerry but with a different mount a 20 litre jerry on its back should fit in the slot.
pt.jpg
pt3.jpg
pt4.jpg
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Dave,
I don't think there was an "original" jerry can holder ever fitted to the LWB versions. The first picture above from Gary is to far away / small to see exactly how it was made /fitted, but the second picture is of a home made version as you can see it is suspended on a red piece of metal - I doubt the factory would have done that when you consider how they mounted the spare wheel carrier. I still think it would be a good idea to have a jerry can full of fuel onboard if you go off road for any length of time as you can't go by mileage as to how much fuel you have used.
Having said that, When i take Lurch to go to do 10 gate trials, I fill the tank before i start off, drive to where ever the trials is taking place, drive off road for most of the day and drive home. Others who turn up with their 3 litre V8's often have to stop to put more fuel in during the day.
Admittedly most of the trials are with about an hours drive, which would roughly be about 30 to 40 miles away.

Lurch does on average about 20 ~ 25 mpg under those conditions and about 30 mpg if all of it is long distance road driving.

John

ogdenenterprise

Thanks Garry & John,
The Haflinger is not road registered so its not a must have thing as yet. I am going to register it in the near future. We are in our rainy season at the moment and I have not had the canvas cover made , so im a fine weather driver. I keep looking for different things to add ( but they have to be original design) so any suggestions will be considered.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Although not "original", some form of box to create storage space would be a good addition. The cab has very little space to put things and although there is a long bed behind. The moment you start driving, things will bounce all over the place!
So a box just behind the front seats would be accessible if you have a full canvas cover. If you have the short cabin only cover then possibly something in the footwell in the middle.

John

Goatwerks

Re: fuel measure specs

Post by Goatwerks »

Since I have a Factory measure stick, here are the dimensions to make your own. start out with a .2mm thick 15mm wide, 34cm piece of steel.
drill 6mm hole for leather or cord(prevents sparking), there are 17 marks on the stick in total, each mark below 30L represents 2L of fuel, measure stick is same for series 1 and 2.
Lines for 10, 20, 30L go all the way across the width, marks in between (ea 2L)are only centered.
From bottom of stick measure up 19mm scribe or stamp line.Measure from center to center from each line going up, 2nd line is 19mm, next 18mm, 17mm, 16mm(10L mark), 16mm,16mm, 15mm,15mm,14mm(20L mark), 13mm, 13mm, 13mm, 13mm, 13mm(30L mark),13mm, 17mm, fob hole is 70mm on center with last line. 10, 20, 30 stamped above their lines in 5mm stamp size.
Pass on the info for those in need, you can also make it out of wood dowel if you're pressed for time!
ogdenenterprise

Thanks Jim, I posted a photo of the measuring stick in the restoration/toolroll section if anyone wants to make one.

Dave