Wanted Front Springs

AustHaflinger

Wanted Front Springs

Post by AustHaflinger »

When I bought my Haflinger it was fitted with Heavy Duty springs which raised right height by an inch or more resulting in the rear wheels pointing in at the bottom. I replaced the rear springs with standard springs and this corrected the issue but the front rides a bit higher than the rear making it look a bit odd when parked on the level.

So any one on the east coast of Australia have a spare set of front springs they would be prepared to part with for a really nice cheap price :) . Due to Covid restrictions they would have to be shipped - I am in Canberra.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Re: Wanted Front Springs

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just to provide a followup on this.

Dave in Cairns (ogdenenterprise) contacted me indicating he a had a set for a really good price. We confirmed that at 220mm long these should be the correct standard springs - exactly what I needed. The heavy duty springs are 250mm long so give just over 1" lift.

Dave took the time package the two springs up and provide weights and dimensions so that shipping quotes could be obtained - Dave recommended a couple of couriers he has used in the past but surprise, surprise Australia Post came in the cheapest so Dave delivered the package to Aust Post Monday last week.

They arrived today which is actually quite good considering the Covid lockdowns we have here at the moment and a truck driver strike that went on also last week.

Here is a pick of the two springs side by side - (well they are on my computer) the heavy duty on the left and the standard one on the right. Now to install them - not such a big task, just drop the bottom of the swing arm strap and the bottom of the shock - I should be able to pull the swing arm down enough to get the the springs swapped but I do have spring compressors if needed (nasty dangerous things).

So thanks ever so much to Dave for going above and beyond the call of duty - his efforts were very much appreciated.
IMG_20211009_142005_01.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well, that might change the way your tyres wear when you Haf is empty. Having said that, they do actually seem to ride better with a bit of a load in the back.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Garry - Thank you, glad I could help
I have just had a look at the parts book, for the springs on page 4 01/0 no 13, 13a, 13b. I wonder if you have the springs for a Iwb.
I must admit I don't know which springs are on my Lwb, I will try to measure them when I get time.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

ogdenenterprise wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:51 pm I have just had a look at the parts book, for the springs on page 4 01/0 no 13, 13a, 13b. I wonder if you have the springs for a Iwb.
I must admit I don't know which springs are on my Lwb, I will try to measure them when I get time.
Dave

Maybe, I certainly dont know - would be logical. All I know from the previous owner was that when in the Leonnora Goldfields gold prospecting they needed to carry heavy loads and upgraded the springs - the obvious would be to put LWB springs in if they are a higher rating. Interestingly the LWB only weighs 45kg more than the SWB (635kg vs 680kg) and both have the same payload of 515kg so really different springs should not have been needed.

Thanks for the help - I hope I can repay the help sometime soon.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have jacked the rear end up and the approximate length of the springs on my Lwb
are 220mm, so they are the same length as the shorter one in the photo.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes that is what I would have thought as while longer, the LWB does not have a higher load rating.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

They made heavier duty springs for the "Utility" versions of the Haflinger, e.g. the ones sold to Highways department to put snowplows on the front and salt shakers on the back.
I don't suppose anyone has any definitive knowledge any more of exactly what variations in springs was available during production. If I remember next time I take a wheel off Lurch, I see what length / thickness the springs are.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Here is a side pick of my Haflinger - a bit hard to see but you will notice the front sits up about 2" higher than the rear - compare the gap of the top of the rear tyre to the top of the wheel arch with that of the front. Been busy with a few other things but will try to but in the new springs from Dave in the next week or so and will post up a new pic in the same position.

Garry
PXL_20211025_025259728.MP.jpg
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Take two new picture of the Haf on tarmac - a before and after. Make up a stick with 5cm bands of contrasting colours you can put against the side of the Haf, that way anyone looking at the picture has a reference point to be able to compare the change. Parking on grass, unless it is a bowling green could be hiding a hill!

Just my thoughts, I know, more work for not a lot in return!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes dear :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Changed the springs over today.

New spring on the left and old heavy duty front spring on the right.
PXL_20211121_042241088.MP.jpg
How it sits now - nice :)
PXL_20211121_071956848.jpg
Once again - thanks to Dave for all his help - much appreciated.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)