Hi Speed Hub Gears

AustHaflinger

Hi Speed Hub Gears

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looking for a full set (4 hubs) of 14/31 (2.21 / 47 MPH)gears.

I have 16/38 hubs at the moment but as my engine is 762cc I should be able to pull a higher overall top gearing.

I assume they are on the expensive side to buy.

Tried Haflinger Technik but they do not have any.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Hi Speed Hub Gears

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

I was looking for Carb parts for Lurch the other evening and downloaded the PDF parts list from here:-

http://www.puch500.at/?action=home

I remember seeing somewhere in it a full set of hub gears. - No idea what the price would be.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John but even using the translator I am unable to use that site - I have tried to look for a few different things in the past and have just given up in frustration.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Garry,
John is correct, Robert Prokschi has the hubgear set you are looking for at 600 EURO. Below is a clip from Robert's catalog.
I've also seen them listed on http://www.ebay.de/ but the Seller has been asking 1000 EUROs for his set.
Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
Hub_Gearset-Prokschi.jpg
Hub_Gearset-Prokschi.jpg (18.23 KiB) Viewed 1771 times
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks to Steven and John for that - 1000 eu on ebay would seem a bit excessive. I wonder what I could get for my old 16/38 gears.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

The problem is, that the 75 km/h hub gears are most sought after, because both Austrian and Swiss Army Haflingers were equipped with slower ones and many owners want to switch. That's also why Prokschi has reproduced the gearwheels with the fastest ratio and now sells them at a rather high price.

Regards,
Constantin
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Garry

I bought a set from Robert Prokschi when I rebuilt the hubs on my 63 ex-Hydro Tasmania Haflinger. The price has risen a bit since then, but the quality was very high. You can email him directly and they would always reply in English and payment by Paypal made the whole process simple. I have the old lowest speed set, which I dont think are worth much given the reasons Constantin mentioned. Who knows, you may get a few bites on ebay for them, as I dont see them listed often.

Cheers

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick K wrote:I have the old lowest speed set, which I dont think are worth much given the reasons Constantin mentioned. Who knows, you may get a few bites on ebay for them, as I dont see them listed often.

Cheers

Rick
I was of the same view but when I enquired at Haflinger Technik they made the point that my current gear sets were quite rare but I really have no idea.

At least I now have a good idea what the hi speed sets are worth so can make decisions on whether to change or not

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,
I think the problem really is that it now so difficult to find somewhere to drive your Haflinger off road. That the low top end speed of ones with low speed hub gears is just to slow for road use in current traffic.
So those people who basically trailer / show their Haflingers as static beasts do not mind the low road speed so much. Take it for a drive with others and you will soon see the difference in road speed.

As it is a relatively simple thing to change the hub gears, I can see the attraction of putting the high speed set in.

As for the low speed gears you pull out, Like ALL Haflinger spares, they will be rare - there will always be some one who will buy them, but as second hand and to go into their "spares" stock they will never pay as much as newly re-manufactured parts.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Gary,
I think the problem really is that it now so difficult to find somewhere to drive your Haflinger off road.

Take it for a drive with others and you will soon see the difference in road speed.

John
Maybe hard in the Uk to find somewhere to drive a haffie offroad but not here - driving the Haffie I can be offroad in 10 minutes and in full wilderness in 30 minutes -but yes - other than local (6000 square kms of National Park) I would definitely be trailering my Haffie any greater distance though I am considering doing a 4,000km trip in the outback for old 4wds mid next year with my Landrover Club as long as I have a few issues sorted. Surprisingly my Haffies cruising speed is the same and maybe a little better than some of the other old vehicles :lol:

Noting comments of others on here, I know that my Haffie is a bit faster than a normal haffie with my gearing but that is a factor of a larger engine and 14" wheels. My Haffie is supposed to do 70kph but will do 80kph but is at max revs. I will cruise at 70kph but revs are still high and that cannot be good for the engine. As we all know driving a Haffie at speed is not a great experience and I certainly do not want to go faster, but I would like to cruise at 60-70 kph with lower revs - it will be back in its torque band not operating at the top end of it.

Compared to some other landrover car stuff I have just bought - the cost of the higher speed gears are not too bad. Two side gears for my 101 front diff lock cost the equivalent of 300 euros and two high speed transfer case gears were no much cheaper so I just have to decide if the "improvement" will be worth the cost.

Cheers

Garry

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I don't suppose the gears are going to disappear now that they have been re-manufactured. The place that made them has all the specs. SO whilst the price might go up, they will at least be available for you to buy at a later date.
Maybe you could throw the equivalent of your morning coffee into a hub gear purchase fund! Oh, and you would have to throw in some money every time you swear at it! :lol:

John

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

It is true that the 16/38 hub gears are rare, because they were not used on military vehicles like Swiss or Austrian Army. They can only be found on civilian Series 1 as well as on some civilian Series 2 Haflingers.

Also, keep in mind that replacing the hub gears means that the tapered bearings of the large gearwheel have to be re-adjusted in terms of pre-tensioning. You will probably need to replace the thrust rings with different sizes, so you have to order various dimensions in advance. The rear half axles have to be removed from the gearbox in order to be able to adjust the large gearwheel without the small one inside the housing. Altogether, it's not a job that you get done in one evening if you want to do it properly as described in the manuals.

Kind regards,
Constantin
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Maybe you could throw the equivalent of your morning coffee into a hub gear purchase fund! Oh, and you would have to throw in some money every time you swear at it! :lol:

John
As I am a pensioner - that is how I have to save for things now - even the cost of the morning coffee comes out of the change jar ;)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

pathfinder700ap wrote:Also, keep in mind that replacing the hub gears means that the tapered bearings of the large gearwheel have to be re-adjusted in terms of pre-tensioning. You will probably need to replace the thrust rings with different sizes, so you have to order various dimensions in advance. The rear half axles have to be removed from the gearbox in order to be able to adjust the large gearwheel without the small one inside the housing. Altogether, it's not a job that you get done in one evening if you want to do it properly as described in the manuals.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Thanks Constantin - I figured the change over wouldn't be simple and straight forward as it would seem.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)