What nut size is this?

Julian B

What nut size is this?

Post by Julian B »

My early Haf has a starter button and a key "switch" that are clamped on to the dashboard by thin - perhaps ~2mm - "trim" nuts. Due to a senior moment on my behalf the original nuts are no longer usable. :oops: But I am very keen to re-use these original instruments.

The thread diameter on the button is approx. 25.6mm. The closest that I can estimate the thread pitch to be has "24G ... 3/16 ... 7/32" marked on the thread pitch tool that I have.

Before I am able to try to source replacements I need to work out precisely what it is that I need to order. I have tried to work out whether this is a metric, UNC, UNF, BSF, BSP or Whitworth thread. Are there any engineering gurus out there who might be able to deduce what I need to try to source for a replacement?

TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Julian B

Re: What nut size is this?

Post by Julian B »

A bit more googling would suggest that what I need is a panel nut, probably a 1" with a UNEF thread. Still struggling to find any though - even with a worldwide search ...

Something like

Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Similar but not exact:-

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... 1&xsr=4585

http://uk.mouser.com/Electromechanical/ ... d=lock+nut

This should be the one, but only because the rest of the vehicle is metric:-

http://www.airaccessories.co.uk/cylinde ... -i708.html

The only other thing I can think of is short term measure - buy plastic nuts for 25mm plastic piping, then you can form your own thread on them without fear of damage to your switches.

Like this:-

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products?te ... earchMode=

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I had another look at the starter button thread today and am tempted to think that it is actually an M25 x 1,0mm thread. This is not the standard M25 thread pitch (1.5mm), but a finer pitch one.

I can find M25 x 1.5mm panel nuts on the internet fairly easily. Bearing in mind that they are either brass or plastic (brass would be preferably as it is less "bulky") and that the starter button housing thread is pressed (thin) steel ...
  • 1. Would an M25 x 1,5mm panel nut be OK-ish for what I need, or
    2. Would I be better to get an M25 x 1.5mm panel nut and an M25 x 1.0mm tap and re-thread the nut, or
    3. Would I be better to get an M25 x 1.5mm panel nut and an M20 x 1.0mm tap and re-thread the nut (this would eat into more metal and may give a better result).
Not sure how successful the re-tapping process would be, as I don't know how easy it would be to hold the nut firmly enough without damaging it ...

As a temporary measure I have reduced the thickness of a plastic plumbing nut and painted it silver; the thread pitch is not right & it looks a bit naff, but it'll do for now. :oops:

Oh! for an easy life!!!

Any comments?

TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It must be possible to find the right nut.

Another thought, Make your own! Get a piece of hex steel 28mm, drill hole down the middle, tap with 25 x 1.0 tap, then slice to give sheet metal type thickness.

I am sure you can get a "knurled ring" nut that would fit, as there must be some electrical switches out there which have that size on front of the panel.

I'll keep looking.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Julian,

sadly, I cannot really help with that problem. Are the button and the switch made by ZKW or Bosch?
Have you tried Dale? Maybe he has some used parts from similar age Haflingers.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Dale is having a look in his stock of old / used bits & pieces, but he thinks he doesn't have anything to suit.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi again,

it seems that Hütterer (successor of CAMO Haflinger parts) has at least the starter button in stock, see:
http://www.haflinger-ersatzteile.at/dow ... _v2013.pdf (page 127/128, pos. 20)
According to the part number, it is the ZKW version (and not the Bosch one).

According to the price list (http://www.haflinger-ersatzteile.at/dow ... _v2013.pdf, page 31), the part would cost 32 Euro. However I don't think that he would sell the nut alone. Still, it might be interesting if nothing else can be found...

I'll also ask one or two more friends what they think in terms of this nut... maybe they know more about what thread size etc. it is.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Julian

My original ZKW starter button on my AU Army Haflinger was broken, and luckily Dale had a NOS one that he sent over a couple of years ago. Would you like the nut from the old one?

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

If no luck you could contact halfe on http://www.real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/index.php as he has a couple part trucks.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Constantin & Rick - thank you so much ... very helpful. Closer inspection shows that my ignition key switch & starter button are both the ZKW versions.
  • 9-40, #15, 700.2.86.013.0, "Zündlichtschalter kompl. (ZKW)” (Ignition-light-switch compl.)
    9-40, #20, 700.2.86.007.0, "Druckknopf-Anlaßschalter kompl. (ZKW)” (Starter switch compl.)
The Hütterer (/CAMO) item no for the starter button is 5930-0-852-0240 & I will write to them today to ask if they have one that they could send me.

The photos below (ignore colour balance) show ...
  • * what my dashboard used to look like, and
    * what it now looks like (with the two bodge job plastic plumbers panel nuts with incorrect threads. :oops:
For some reason I can now only find one large "washer" that goes behind the panel nuts. Rick - if you would be willing to part with your panel nut - assuming that it is similar to mine (and thin circular "washer" if you still have it) I would be hugely grateful. I will send you a PM with details etc.

Feeling less gloomy than I did yesterday! :)
Attachments
DSC_2384.jpg
2014-01-05_10.45.31-2.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

At least they are held in place with the plastic nuts and no risk of changing the threads on you switches!

They don't actually look that bad, certainly a satisfactory temporary fix in my opinion!

Keep on looking for the correct ones. Somebody must have them.

John

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello

Given the interest in the dash configuration, I thought Id post a photo of the dash of my 63 Haflinger, just one year younger than Julian's. Ive followed the original configuration, but managed to source new indicator lights and light switch from Dale. You can see that the light switch was placed in the hole previously occupied by the key-switch in Julians example. The starter button in Julian's example is replaced by the Bosch key-ignition switch.

Sorry, photo is grainy given a dimly lit basement carpark. The project is only 80% complete, despite being commenced in 2009.

Rick
Attachments
photo.JPG
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Open question and please excuse my lack of knowledge. From the above pics I take it that early versions did not have a fuel light or an hour meter? If I am correct when did these come in? Also did any Haffies actually have a fuel gauge?

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Hello Garry.

Perhaps Constantin is the best person to answer that question. For the hour meter, Ive seen them fitted to a 63 model Australian delivered civilian model (see http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/zubehoer/s ... height=600) right up to the last 'bug eye' sold here, but they don't all have them. I always assumed it was one of those optional extras, where you ordered the basic platform and then chose to add options like a canopy, doors, rear seats, PTO etc. An early example of 'up-sizing' perhaps.

For the reserve fuel warning light- im not sure, as the Series I fuel tanks have the fitting to accommodate the low fuel sensor, but whether all were fitted with the sensor and warning lights Im not sure. My two 1963 Haflingers don't have the reserve fuel warning lights, but the 1966 AU Army Haflinger does. Another up-size option???

Rick
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

My 1973 LWB has a fuel gauge. I think one of the reasons the earlier ones didn't have fuel gauges is because it is scary watching it go down as you drive! :shock: :lol:

I keep forgetting to put a pen in Lurch so I can write down the milage and amount of fuel put in. (Yes, I have a smart phone and i keep forgetting I could use that!) Will try harder! :oops:

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

For what it is worth, I have copies of UK Price Lists from 1963, 1968 & 1972. None of them include an hour meter as an option. The petrol gauge is listed in the 1968 list as an option (GBP 5.00, "fitting extra"!), but as standard equipment in 1972. I don't think that I have ever seen an hour meter in a UK spec Haflinger.

My 1962 Haf doesn't have a fuel gauge, and I have to admit that its absence is a pain.

Looking at the photo of the cabin area posted by Rick K above, I also note that the base of the gearstick is very different from mine - which doesn't have the alloy raised baseplate, just a hole in the floor!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks for the responses to my question - I have a fuel gauge but it is aftermarket, the low fuel light is not connected and there is a large hole where a hour meter was fitted at some stage - I just checked my build sheet and it does specifically mention an hour meter on the build.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)