Australian Full Registration is Challenging

OzzieHaffy

Re: Australian Full Registration is Challenging

Post by OzzieHaffy »

Below a picture of a now Queensland Registered Haflinger.
It is definitely not the first but I am thinking the only one at the moment. I know of two currently under rebuild so the road may well be a little easier

Should you not have access or knowledge of your vehicles previous full registration. Then this is the process.
The Qld main roads dept will not check the National Vehicle Register for what ever reason. My suggestion is to contact VicRoads, who were very helpful. Although they can not give you the previous registration details they can forward them to the Queensland Dept.
I am not sure why but my Haflinger was listed on the national vehicle Register with its Engine Number not the Chassis/Vin Number.
In any case the information was there and BINGO !

My plan now is to take the restoration to a higher level.
It is currently OK but rust is developing on the seat frame backrest, and the floor pan although sand blasted and repainted is a bit ordinary. I am contemplating doing a beige 'tray liner' to cover up all the old rust dimples.

Yesterday took is for a short drive.
Everybody waves and smiles
Also takes 20 minutes longer to go anywhere with all the questions along the way, but that's OK

Kym
Attachments
Registered.jpg
Haflinger 700 AP/2 (1970)
Fuso Canter 4x4 Expedition
Iveco Daily 4x4 Expedition
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done for sticking it to the man!

Now you can go and park in front of their building and ask each of them as they come out - "was it you who didn't want this on the road"?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well done Kym. I am glad it all worked out in the end.

A nice looking vehicle.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Neofitou

Post by Neofitou »

The shot above is my new desktop background
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have started gathering information as to registering my Lwb Haflinger in Qld. I called at my local Dept of transport,and like Ozziehaf I got no where. they gave me a printout of details of what they require. on the list it asks for overall dimensions, length width etc . I was going to provide a copy of a 703 AP which shows a side, top,front and rear drawing which shows all the measurements they require. I have found a faded copy, but I thought I had a copy in my photo album which I could use, and yes you have guessed it I can not find it anywhere. can anyone help? with a link or photo to the drawing . The faded copy I have shows it with 6 seats.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So you cannot just present the vehicle to a roadworthy tester and take things from there? (like you can anywhere else?) Do you have any old registration information?

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

I have photos of the vehicle with the original Qld registration number (restorations/ haflinger of many colours). I showed them these and the vin plate but they said they could not find any reference on their data base . They then gave me a document to supply them with information which they would send to HQ in Brisbane and maybe?? get approval to register it.They did not sound very convincing and said if at all it would be a C registered plate (construction) I explained it was previously registered as private use but all I got was a blank look.

Dave
Attachments
Dept of Transport 001 (2).jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So you are going through the same bull that Kym had too. All I can say - only in Queensland. They are clearly treating the Haf as a private build which is garbage.

What year is your Haff - does it have an Aussie Compliance Plate on it?

At least the information they are asking for is easy enough to provide.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry ,
Its a 1968 Lwb, so according to Kims previous posts I should not need one. I have printed out all of this post and highlighted all the relevant parts just to prove other people have registered Haflingers in Qld.
I have contacted Tony Hrleja and given him all the vin numbers etc, so he is checking to see if he has any info on the vehicle. I will also contact Dale at Haflinger Technik to get a copy of the build sheet. I am not in any hurry to register the Haf, but I am determined they will not beat me. I have another matter to deal with first , I left the engine running for about a hour yesterday when I went to turn it off I found a pool of oil about 75mm diameter under the engine, as they say it never rains but it pours (oil) :lol:

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Oil is most likely coming from the oil seals on the oil return from the rocker covers.

Only asked about the compliance plate as if it had one (and a 68 will not) then they could not argue the issue.

I put some pics up of Qld regoed Hafs including a Qld Railways vehicle early in this thread but they got taken down by PhotoBucket - here are some of them just in case you missed them - is the camper yours?
Haflinger_Specs.pdf
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
australia50.jpg
australia51.jpg
Haffy.jpg
Camper Van 6.jpg
Camper Van 4.jpg
Camper Van 2.jpg
Camper Van 1.jpg
Camper Van 7.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry,
Yes that is my Haflinger but it was the original owner who had the camper back fitted, this was removed long before I purchased it. I have the original guarantee card with the date and original owners name which was sold by anti friction bearings ltd, so more proof that it was sold and registered to a private individual. I have found the drawing I was looking for on Constantins site,TDC /literature/ typenscheine /703AP, and with his permission I will print a copy of the dimensions , for their request for sizes etc. I have not had chance to investigate the oil leak yet , I have had my eyes tested today and ordered new glasses so they should help when I get them :geek: :lol: .I will update you when I have found the problem.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The Qld authorities went to a computer based system a while back and that is where the customer service officer would have looked. Older records are held on Microfiche and as that rego number is not all that old I am sure I am sure if they would look they would find your number in their system.

I am sure if there was a police investigation related to your vehicle they would find it in the system.

Good luck

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

garrycol wrote:So you cannot just present the vehicle to a roadworthy tester and take things from there? (like you can anywhere else?) Do you have any old registration information?

garry
That's exactly what I did - I had a copy of the previous reg back in 2009 and an RWC. The most time consuming part of the exercise was what they said was getting the Make into their database. I tried so hard to get it registered as "Steyr-Puch" as the Make, Haflinger as the Model, and 700APT as the Series. I ended up settling to let them call the Make "Steyr". I can't see why they couldn't use "Steyr-Puch" which is similar in form to Mercedes Benz or Aston Martin!! At that point I didn't know of any other Hafies registered in Qld - only later I found BMB77.
ogdenenterprise

Just a update to my registration and maybe help Adam.
A few weeks ago I visited my local licencing department in Cairns, to enquire about registering my Haf for road use. I know its been quite a while since this subject was first posted, but what can I say time flies by and you dont even notice it.
Anyway to continue... the person I spoke with said it would have to be registered on a C plate, which I think is classified as construction, but she gave me a check list of what information would be required to register the vehicle. I have posted copys of the document and also a copy of the Quote to register the Haflinger.
As you can see I have written notes next to the list with some of the explanations.
Make /model, 68 HAF is year built & registration plate
overall dimensions, copys from internet of dimensions and drawings
front /rear overhang, as above
maximum speed, photo of dash board data plate.
On my second visit I produced all the relevant documents and was told there should not be any problem to register the vehicle.
The vehicle is already insured, I have just to get it road worthy certificate.

Dave
Attachments
300.JPG
299.JPG
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So is this C registration or full proper registration that you can get in every other state, noting that other Qld members have full proper registration.

What are the limitations of C registration?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

I am not sure what the C plate would cover and the limits it would have. I mentioned I had purchased the rego plates 68 HAF some time ago, so I will push for that when I register it.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I just googled it.

Conditional registration is registration for non-standard vehicles that do not comply with the standard regulations for registration and have a genuine need for limited access to the road network.

The non-complying vehicle catalogue provides a list of approved non-standard agricultural, construction and recreational vehicles that may be conditionally registered.

Vehicles that comply with normal registration requirements are not eligible for conditional registration. This includes truck-based mobile machinery and cranes.

Conditional registration:
gives you limited access to Queensland roads
gives you the protection of compulsory third party (CTP) insurance in the event of a crash occurring on a road causing personal injury
determines the conditions for use to ensure safe operation of the vehicle while on a road"

This is clearly the incorrect registration class and is meant for tractors ATV/UTVs etc that may have to drive occasionally on the road

If they are offering this, the consultant does not understand a Haflinger (looking at the type of vehicles listed they must think a Haflinger is a ATV/UTV) - if this is what they are offering it clearly needs to be challenged as your vehicles met all ADRs for 1969. The fact that other Haflingers are on the road in Qld with full Qld rego (let alone all around Australia) clearly indicates they can be registered on full rego.

Good luck with it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)