Hibernated Haffy Has Hassles Hagain

Tajman

Hibernated Haffy Has Hassles Hagain

Post by Tajman »

Hibernated Haffy Has Hassles Hagain.
Well its not to bad but I need some imput from the knowledgeable folks on this forum again.
1. I am just refurbishing the fuel tank, during lock down, whilst waiting for bits, which seems fine, a few rust spots but quite solid. I did have to scrape off a load of gloopy underseal to get a good look at it. But the question is :- Vent. is it in the cap?. There is a picture, it has a "strap across the top, maybe the vent is underneath that.
2. During the strip down of the forward swinging arm with the intention of replacing the fulcrum pins, I removed the drive shaft with the two stones , later on the floor I found two small round bits of metal, one flat and one dished. I could not see them in the parts diagrams, they look like they sit on the rounded inner end of the shaft. Any clues . See picture.
3.And lastly,
Also doing stuff ahead of myself, ie. waiting for bits and not allowed out much, I refurbished the dash board. I found a registration number scratched into the ally. I was told when I bought the vehicle that it was not registered. The reg. is 1966 though the vehicle according to build cert is 1967. See picture, I have penned over the scratches. Reg is NCH759D. Can't for the life of me imagine this will mean anything to anybody, but its worth a try. I have contacted the DVLA but they are only doing emergency stuff at present.
Foot note--- I have got the fulcrum pins out eventually and will do a separate post as that saga lasted several months and needs telling in detail.
Thanks and hope you all well.
Jeff
Attachments
IMG_20200331_120527798 (450 x 600).jpg
IMG_20200415_141221775 (450 x 600).jpg
IMG_20200415_141816756 (450 x 600).jpg
heinkeljb

Re: Hibernated Haffy Has Hassles Hagain

Post by heinkeljb »

Morning Jeff,

I thought you had bigger problems!! So lets deal with your first question,

1: Most petrol caps actually have the vent as a corrugated ring between the outer cover of the cap and the centre of the cap on the inside so that the air can move in either direction via a hole in the centre in the middle of the cap up to the inner layer of the cap and then down the edges and through the corrugated ring. It is quite common for the holes in the corrugated ring to become blocked with dust and rubbish over the years and so starve the tank of its vent system. The mod you have was a common way of getting round "replacing" or trying to clean the cap - drill a small hole in the top and then put a cover over it.
2: The two "extra" bits of metal you have are from the bottom of a front wheel swivel pin (Lower king pin). There is a cap that hold a "washer" aka, the flat disk in your picture, a "Cup" aka the dished bit of metal in your picture and a ball bearing. The idea is that you use the washer to apply the "correct" tension to the cup which in turn presses on the ball bearing which in turn presses on the bottom swivel pin - another one of Steyr Puch's design engineers "Just because we could" solutions to a problem that could have been solved by having a bolt you wound in and then a lock nut to hold it in place, but hey! This is a Haflinger we are talking about....
3: I have no idea if that is the registration number of the Haf or not. It is perfectly possible that the vehicle was built in 1967 as per the build sheet (That is what I would be going by), but that when it was presented to DVLA back in the day, they could have put down that it was a 1966 model. I have had similar things with a couple of micro cars from that era - People at DVLA, or at least it's then equivalent thought they knew better than the car dealer / person presenting the vehicle for registration and putting down earlier model details.
You will just have to wait for DVLA to catch up with your enquiry!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Tajman

Re: Hibernated Haffy Has Hassles Hagain

Post by Tajman »

Thanks John , that explains a lot.
Sounds like I may have to look for a ball bearing on the garage floor.
I attach a photo of the fuel tank and one of the nearly finished Dash.
The floor pan goes off next week to a body shop for the foot well area to be rebuilt.
The new exhaust valve guides and valves should be finished this week, so all in all good stuff.
Cheers
Jeff.
Attachments
IMG_20200414_151516246.jpg
IMG_20200404_112707428.jpg