Top Speed

SAM

Top Speed

Post by SAM »

Hi All

I am just interested to know what the top speed figures are on the plates fixed to the dash of your vehicles.

I know there were various gearing options on Haflingers and on the few Haffy's I have seen no two have been the same. I am talking about the plate which shows the speeds in various gears which is shown in MPH on early Vehicles and KPH on the later ones.

Sam
heinkeljb

Re: Top Speed

Post by heinkeljb »

Mine is a 1973 model so would be considered a late model: the plate is in English and mph (5= 47 mph). So it obviously is supposed to be linked to the country the vehicle is intended for.

It does appear that a lot of these vehicles move around the world after they are sold so that could explain seeing a KPH version in an MPH country! (or the other way around).

Maybe if you went to a Treffen where there are quite a few Haflingers gathered together to graze, you might find a couple with the same plate.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

Australia used mph up to a certain year of make when the system was changed to kph. That means both units can be found there, as described by sam.

And yes, there exist different versions with different high speeds. It depends on the engine version (4500 or 4800 rpm max), the gearbox ratio(s) (especially the highest gear, of course) and the hub gear ratio. So the truth is more than just the four available hub gear ratios.

Late civilian models in Australia usually have a setup with 75 kph or 70 kph high speed (difference coming from the hub gear ratio).
Earlier civilian models usually have 64 kph high speed. Australian Army models have the slowest setup and hence a high speed of 52 kph.

Kind regards,
Constantin
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I am old enough to go through the change to decimal currency when we changed from pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents and a few years later to metric. I can remember getting stickers on my mph speedo so I could work out when I was speeding in kph rather than mph. I believe speedos changed in 1970 so Haffies like mine have a metric speedo - I have the 70kph gears (and plate). I would like to change to the 75kph gears but they are expensive to buy outright (anyone want to swap :) )

The biggest issue with the change to decimal currency was not being able to have coins in the the Christmas puddin. The old threepence coin was solid silver and inert to the cooking process where the new 5c piece has copper and nickel and was not good for the puddin.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
SAM

Post by SAM »

Hello Gents

Thanks for the replies is makes a bit more sense now. I think the 47 Mph I have seen translates to about 75 Kph and I have seen one at 70 Kph and also a Mk 1 at 40 Mph. I think I saw a late model on Ebay a while ago with a 56 Kph top speed which is pretty low geared.

Also what is the latest manufacturing date for a Haflinger that anyone knows about?

Yes Gary I remember silver three-penny bits in the puddin and my aunty May kept a few gawd bless er. Not quite the same with a Euro of a Dollar in it! And not good for the puddin at all!

Sam
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi Sam - the plate on my 1973 703AP also shows a max speed of 47mph (which it does get to - eventually!)

John