6th Dutch Haflinger "Treffen" (2014)

heinkeljb

6th Dutch Haflinger "Treffen" (2014)

Post by heinkeljb »

Not really sure where to put a write up of the trip to the Treffen as the section with the Treffen details will get swamped by the posts connected to the write up and maybe actual Rallies will get missed as a result.

Having decided to put the write up here, I now have the problem of what to write here and what to write for the Haflinger and Pinzgauer Club magazine / web site! I don't want to write 3 different accounts, but equally I don't want people to read the same thing if they happen to be connected to all 3 like me! :?

So now I will await the comments and then make a plan...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: 6th Dutch Haflinger "Treffen" (2014)

Post by AustHaflinger »

Just do it here :D

And of course it never happened without pics :P
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi John, I have done a fair few articles for our club magazine, putting pen to paper ( ok typing on computer key board ) and coming up with a story is hard, personally I don't think that writing the same article for all three, forum, magazine/club web site that you are involved with would be a problem as there are people on this forum, people on the clubs web site and club members who are not on all three in fact at the moment there are only 15 club members on our web site, however I know from your postings and your articles in the magazine ( in fact you have 2 separate articles in the next addition of the Mag', keep up the good work ) that you are great at writing, so if you are up for it, and you have the time, then by all means go for three different articles, but don't worry if all three are the same after all its putting in the time and effort that counts. Best Regards Pete Elliott
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Long post with pictures!

As some of you have gathered, I’m the relatively new “nutter” to the world of Haflingers. I’ve owned “Lurch” for about 18 months now, the first 6 months spent sorting out the front hubs and brakes in the snow and rain and cold.
Having spent vast sums of money and time, Lurch passed the MOT and I have described some of the things that have happened since.

The latest piece of crazy-ness - if you listen to the die-hards, is to drive Lurch to Rallies rather than put him on a trailer or in a van. I am not against people doing either, I just don’t have either a suitable trailer, suitable vehicle to tow said trailer or a van I could put Lurch in! I really can’t justify buying either / or just to get to rallies with Lurch, so I have to drive there.

The latest being the 2014 Dutch Treffen. This was held near Eindhoven over the weekend of the 26th / 27th April. Some planning ahead allowed me to get the Friday (25th) and the Monday (28th) booked as holiday. Insurance informed, RAC breakdown cover, Ferry booked, campsite booked all being done with time to spare. Lurch’s MOT was due end of March so I took the opportunity to get the MOT done early so that if there was a failure, I had time to fix things before the Rally. As it turned out, no real problems (not even the lights), an advisory on a steering track rod end - that was changed without any drama.
The weekend before was devoted to a service of Lurch involving an oil change, greasing all the grease nipples - there are lots of those… checking tyres, sorting camping gear etc.

Finished work on the Thursday evening, My friend Stephen and I spent a couple of hours loading things up and tying it all down under a tarp and we were ready to go by 8:30pm. Driving to Dover at night might seem like a daft thing to do in a Haflinger, but thanks to my upgraded lights, it is possible to drive Lurch at the same speed as you do during the day. We had to stop to put in petrol as we had started with half a tank due to a “shake down drive” to work and back after the service. We arrived at the ferry just in time to board the next earlier ferry than I had booked, so we parked in the line of cars waiting to be loaded, our turn came and …. nothing! Couldn’t turn the engine over on the Dynastart. Quick! Get out and push! As the engine and everything was still warm, Lurch burst into life and we were able to board. Two and a half hours of driving with lights on had obviously been draining more energy from the battery than the Dynastart could replace. Same issue at the end of Ferry journey, only this time we had to enlist a couple of crew hands to give us a push. We drove until we were just inside Belgium before we discovered a suitable place to park for the rest of the night. It had to have some specific attributes you see, We needed somewhere with a slope so we could roll Lurch down to bump start him, but it had to be a shallow enough slope that we stood a chance of being able to push him back up it again if the first attempt did not work…

Have you ever slept in the cab of a Haflinger? No, I thought not. I can tell you it is not very comfortable! The problem was we were too tired to even think of putting the tent up (More of that later).So we had flood lights illuminating the petrol station forecourt, music blaring out of the speakers they have to entertain their customers, rain - did I mention Lurch leaks like every other Haflinger out there! Couldn’t wait until it was light enough to drive without lights, which came soon enough and we were off again. Satellite Navigation system set to destination via non highway routes and we soon fell out with the woman in the box! She wanted us to go one way, we wanted to go another - she lost, for a while, then we needed her again. Our route notes and her instructions didn’t meet up again until we were near the campsite. On through Belgium into Holland without any issues. Antwerp proved to be a challenging place to get through. We found a tunnel we have never been through before, this went down at about a 40 degree angle and must have been a kilometre long before it flattened out and came back up again. Just as well we were going down as coming the other way would have been at 25mph with rush hour traffic behind us!
Out of Antwerp and back on little roads at 40 mph allows you time to look at the countryside you are traveling through. Helped lots by the fact it is all flat in that part of the world.
Hours later and we arrive at the campsite. I enquired if the campsite owner had a battery charger we could use to recharge Lurch’s battery and he came up trumps by not only having a battery charger we could use but also hooking it up to the site electricity, so I didn’t even have to pay for electricity - more about this later.
It’s still daylight on the Friday so we set about putting up the tent. Now, I bought this tent last year at a car boot sale and was told the only thing wrong with it was that there were no tent pegs. These were purchased and shoved in the bag, but other than to see that there were some poles, some bits of tent nylon, we knew nothing about this tent. We laid things out and it appeared everything was there, there were no rips or missing guy ropes, in fact the only thing missing was a small flysheet that should go over the breather holes in the top of the main dome. So now we only had to worry about it being not waterproof. That we could deal with by throwing the big tarpaulin over the top.

Having finished putting up the tent, another Haflinger arrives. Although we hadn’t noticed, there was one at the campsite before us. Then as we were having drinks, more Haflingers turned up, soon there were six Haflinger and 1 Pinzgauer. It towed one of the Haflinger in on a trailer all the way from Germany.Two others were towed on trailers, two inside vans and Lurch who had to work for his living by driving there.
camp site holland 2014 a.jpg
camp site holland 2014 b.jpg
The Saturday dawned a bit cold and misty but brightened up into a sunny day. Twenty Haflingers gathered at the restaurant ready for the off, but one suffered serious electrical / carburation problems which couldn’t be fixed in time so the owner left it under the watchful eye of the restaurant and got a lift in another Haf.
Lurch hiding amounst others of his kind.jpg
A mixture of single lane tarred roads, “farm tracks” and forest routes, obviously their equivalent to our green lanes made up the days driving. There was a stop in wooded area with steep banks and rough terrain for people to drive about in for a while before a picnic style lunch provided by the organisers (amazing what you can get on the back of a Haflinger).
Haflinger playground b.jpg
Haflinger playground a.jpg
Then off to an attraction which turned out to be a flour grinding windmill that had been bought and moved from Germany. Restored by the owner over six years working evenings and weekends to such a standard that the owner now has a business restoring windmills.
Windmill tour.jpg
View of carpark from windmill.jpg
Lurch at rest.jpg
More single lane tarred roads, tracks etc saw us back to the restaurant. Time enough to return to the campsite to freshen up before sitting down to fixed menu meal in the restaurant - Ribs, beef steak, chicken in huge quantities with green stuff, chips and dips etc - enough for them to ask if we wanted “doggy bags” afterwards.
Here I attempted to fix the “dead” Haflinger, but even after resetting the timing three times, and checking the carb, it still would not do anything more than start and run at idle speed on a full throttle. The light was going so we called it a day.
Bed! Not before some beers at the campsite of course.

Next day, Sunday dawned and we had to be up and at the restaurant meeting point in order to leave at 9:30 prompt as the next attraction would not wait for us…. what on earth had they planned? More single lanes tarred roads, tracks etc, brought us to a walled town, ‘S-Hertogenbosch. Some shuttling back and forth in Haflinger “taxi’s” (4 seaters), got everybody from the parking point to a set of steps that lead down to the water and some boats. Language groups split into different boats so the tour guide did not have to keep changing language. We soon discovered we were on a tour of the only town with a moat which allows you to navigate under the town buildings. It appears the town outgrew its original town wall and moat and just built out over the wall and moat. You can guess what happened to the moat in the middle ages with houses built over it! Yes, it became a sewer! Eventually it was cleaned up and the brick arches under the buildings restored and now you get a tour showing you all the blocked off sewer pipes pointing in at you! Actually, it was very interesting and well worth the tour.
Moat under the houses.jpg
Another picnic lunch and more driving saw us back at the starting point. For some, the weekend had been a shock as we had driven roughly 130 odd miles over the two days. People started leaving at this point, but a fair number were staying for the evening meal and then leaving for home on the Monday morning This evening meal for a smaller group of people was at another restaurant, again a fixed menu meal but very good for all that.
Back to camp site and those who had chosen hotels over camping returned to them. A few more drinks over a tilley lamp - not allowed a campfire in the camp site.and people packing Haf’s on trailers ready to leave early in the morning. A couple of the Haflingers which were staying at the campsite had developed battery charging issues, so Saturday night saw Lurch tied to the same electricity post as another Polycab whilst they both ate camp site electricity over night. The other disdained from joining them and relied on tow starts!
You can definitely hear a Haflinger startup and leave at six in the morning when you are in a tent...and they were trying to be quiet by taking the Haf and the van out of the campsite to load up!
We could afford to have a lie in as we didn’t need to leave before 10am, so having woken up again at a more civilised hour, we helped tow start the other Haf with charging / starting problems so it could be loaded into the van it came in.Then it was off for the ferry port of Dunkirk.
Another struggle through Antwerp, The woman in the box wanting us to go one way, signs pointing another, we eventually get out and carry on regardless.

Other than taking the whole day with rest stops every once in a while we made the six pm ferry and as we were waiting to board we are greeted by one of the Hafingers which had stayed in a hotel - customs man must have had a double take at having never seen one of these to suddenly having two in the space of a couple of minutes.

You will I am sure, have noticed that there is not much in all of this about the actual journey, well, other than having a good long time to look at the passing countryside, Lurch drove the distance, some 650 miles +/- a few without any further dramas. Started properly, ran well enough at 40 mph for us to get a return on all the fuel we had to put in of nearly 30mpg. Didn’t have to top up the engine oil and only had to top up the front differential once with about 5ml oil. The unknown tent worked well. It had enough room for us to have been able to put Lurch in front or backwards, depending on which end required work, had enough room for us to sleep without being sardines.
Seats were surprisingly comfortable, benefitting from an extra layer of foam cushion being put on top of the original in anticipation of “numb bum”.

I have some pictures somewhere to go with this - now where are they? So I have added a few pictures just to liven the long post up.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - what a great read - looks like you had a great trip and Lurch went well. I surprised you ran out of electricity running at night - should not have been an issue even with HIDs though if your battery was not at full charge by my calcs you would have been using all of your 240w to run the Haffie and charge the battery.

I am glad it all went well,

Thanks for sharing.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have a sneaking suspicion that my regulator is not putting out the full 240 watts as simplistic calculations suggest 240 / 12 = 20 amps. The power requirement of the lighting system is 43 x 2 = 86 watts Plus 2 x 5 = 10 watts and even if you include occasional use of brake lights at 2 x 21 = 42 Watts, that comes to 86+10+42 = 138 Watts. 138 / 12 = 11.5 amps. An excess of 8.5 amps should be more than enough to charge the battery, only unknown is how much the ignition system takes!

So I will need to get the volt meter / ampere meter combination out to see the real world figures and possibly do so tweaking of contacts in the regulator box.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Maybe it is the satnav, heated seats and ICE (with DAB) system (with subwoofers of course) that is causing the drain? ;)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi John, what a great article, is it possible for you to email it to me so that I can include it in the next Club Magazine, many thanks. Best regards Pete Elliott
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

John,

Truly an epic, when's the film coming out?

Great write up, sounds like you had a really good time.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
blazing928

Post by blazing928 »

thanks for the write up!!
Nigel

Haflinger 1973 700 APT2,
sold- Haflinger 76 Vic rego LCT 131 - sold mid 80's - where is it????
Porsche 87 928S4, Cayenne D, GLS350d, Alfasud x 5,
Ducati 907IE x 2, Lambretta LI150 S3, Vespa 150
Flinkel Fluff GT,
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

What is needed are a few more people to drive their vehicles and then post a quick article on some aspect of the drive.

I know most are not going to attempt a trip like mine in their Haflingers, but I have to say I did take out break down insurance with the RAC including recovery. So maybe your trip out doesn't go to plan and you break down. A phone call later and help of some description will arrive. The worst case is that you have to wait around for the help! That can be a bit boring if you are stuck on the hard shoulder of a motorway, but why are you driving on a motorway in a Haflinger?

Maybe you're nuts like me who last year as part of a 380 mile round trip to a Haflinger club outing ended up driving along the M25 and the M11 to get there!

Most breakdowns make for interesting stories.

Keep some snack type food and drink in a bag which you throw in the Haflinger when you go out. The same as if you were going out in the snow. Then at least you can sit and wait for help to arrive without suffering too badly.

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Thu May 08, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi John, good advice about taking some food and drink in your vehicle when on a journey, if we go out in the Haflinger, Pinzgauer or even the Wife's car we all ways take a ruck sack with us that contains, drinking water, chocolate ( Mars Bar, even Kendal Mint Cake :lol: ), space blanket, list of contacts ( in case the worst happens ) recovery firm contact, these are the essentials, you can add items specific to your personal tastes, you never know when you may break down, get stuck in a traffic jam etc ( I was once stuck on the M1 for 4 hours because of an accident up ahead ). so the motto is ' Be Prepared '
jhon

Post by jhon »

That was a great read John - thanks for sharing your adventure.
eniac

Post by eniac »

Hi there,
nice Story. My english isn't very good so I don't understand everything you and your british (and scottisch) friends
tell us saturday evening. I'm the one towing his Hafi with the Pinz. I hope you remind me :-)
This was my first Haflinger "Treffen" an I have a lot of fun with you guys this weekend. Good english speaking practice .
Even with George and his Whisky Bottle later at night .. ;-)
I put some extra Pictures in here. I hope it is Ok for you.

@ the Steak House
IMG_0283.JPG
My "Road Train"
IMG_0266.JPG
A frenchman between Lurch and mine
IMG_0269.JPG
Following Lurch on a dusty Track
IMG_0307.JPG
@ the Playgound
P1030960.JPG
@ the camping
P1030956.JPG
Stefan

------------------------------------------------
reality is an illusion, caused by scarcity of alcohol
------------------------------------------------
Pinzgauer 710M
Haflinger 700AP
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi,

Quote:
My english isn't very good so I don't understand everything you and your british (and scottisch) friends
tell us saturday evening. I'm the one towing his Hafi with the Pinz. I hope you remind me :-)
This was my first Haflinger "Treffen" an I have a lot of fun with you guys this weekend. Good english speaking practice .
Even with George and his Whisky Bottle later at night .. ;-)

Unquote.

Your English is MUCH BETTER than my German, so you are forgiven for not understanding everything the "English speaking", probably slightly drunk people had to say on the Saturday night! It probably was not very important....

I am glad you had a good time at your first Haflinger "Treffen". Your journey to the camp site and back home again was far longer than mine, but probably took the same length of time. Will you visit another "Treffen" somewhere else this year now you know what can happen? If you do, take more pictures and post them (and so writing about it) on this forum.

It was nice to met you and your friend, along with all the other people who came to the "Treffen". Part of what makes them interesting weekends.

John