Towing a Haflinger on a trailer

Julian B

Towing a Haflinger on a trailer

Post by Julian B »

Having just come back from a 650 mile / 1,000 km road trip - with another 1,800 mile / 3,000 km trip coming up in a few weeks - I thought I'd ask for other forumite's comments ...

Tying it to a trailer
This trip I just used x4 wheel (ratchet) straps to attach the Haflinger to the trailer; very quick to fit, zero risk of damaging the paintwork, and virtually NO movement of the chassis in relation to the trailer. The body does "float" a bit, but nothing dramatic or untoward. On previous trips I tied the wheels down in the same way, but also tied the body to the trailer - and did slightly damage the paint in the process.

What do others do? For the life of me I can't see the downside of only strapping the wheels to the trailer, but quite a few of the other Treffen-ites did tie the body to their trailers. :?:

Wind pressure on the doors
This trip I kept the short canvas cab in place, with the doors attached; the upside is that the cab is kept clean and dry, and should the canvas be wet before a long road trip there is no risk of the canvas shrinking whilst off the body. The downside is the increase in wind resistance.

What do others do?

One other thing that I noticed was the the leading edge of the doors were being pushed in by the wind currents, and there is a slight risk / worry that the top of the door frames might get a bit bent. Any suggestions of how this could be mitigated? I suppose that I could open the side windows, but if wet then loads of spray will come in to the cab. :oops:

Some people on the Dutch Treffen had had soft covers made up that covered the Haflinger whilst on a trailer - I might think of getting one, but fear it won't be cheap ...

Any comments?

TIA
Attachments
2014-04-27_19_38_44.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Towing a Haflinger on a trailer

Post by heinkeljb »

A bit of a hassle, but you could go the route of taking the doors, canvas top off, These could be stored under the rear bed cover. Fold the windscreen down and then put a Tarp over the whole lot. Wouldn't take much to sew and shape to fit if you wanted the "bespoke" look!

That way, there is nothing above the height of the car in front and so less drag. It removes the doors from the wind, not going to get bent, removes the cab canvas and keeps it dry.

I don't see any reason to change how you tie your Hafi down, Tying the body work down is only going to stop it rocking and possible banging against something, but as you use an open trailer the is nothing for it to bang against!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Strapping the body down and loading the suspension is safer, so the trailer doesn't oscillate with the sway of the loose upper weight.

Look for Kei truck covers on the inter-webs. They shouldn't be that pricy.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ideally the wheels should be strapped down allowing the body to move around on the suspension as you would when driving however this may not always be possible - indeed as you have done.

I have towed my Haffie with a single racket strap on the front (from the Haffie tie down point) and two at the rear - connected to the body. The issue with this is that as the body can move around on the springs and if these compress enough in a dip in the road the hooks on the ratchet straps could come loose - I get around this by putting the hooks back on the strap wherever possible.

I have towed the haffie up to 800km without any issues - on long distances always with the hood up and doors on.

Some pics of my arrangement.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Garry, have you noticed that the top front corner of your doors get pushed in by the wind when being towed? If not then perhaps I am worrying about something that has happened in the past (i.e. my doors are slightly bent anyway and the road wind is not the cause)?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian - as far as I can tell my doors when towing sit exactly the same as when I am driving - never noticed anything untoward. My frames and hinges are very good, though the canvas is pretty ordinary.

I just checked my doors - when closed the front top can only move in about 1/8" and that was with considerable force. While wind gusts caused by passing buses or truck could cause the tops of the doors to move I doubt normal airflow over the vehicle would cause it.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)