Considering Selling Up . . . . Mk1 SWB

HerrFlinger

Considering Selling Up . . . . Mk1 SWB

Post by HerrFlinger »

Good morning chaps -
I'm considering selling my Haflinger "et al" and welcome suggestions as to perhaps the best course of action ?
I bought it as a buggy a few years ago - a Mk1 SWB 4 speed. I got it running, which it did very well and then decided to try to get it back to original. I obtained many period specific parts not least of which included a very good platform from Austria, polycab via Dale and lots of other bits n bobs. I have a mass of parts perhaps very nearly a complete vehicle now.
I stripped the back end and have had that all blasted and powder coated.
So I'm asking as Haflinger owners, how do you think may be the best way to sell it, if I do ?
Obviously, lots of owners are looking for specific parts, but I imagine there may be some potential owners who are looking for a project . . . .
Cheers
Paul
Julian B

Re: Considering Selling Up . . . . Mk1 SWB

Post by Julian B »

Whereabouts are you?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HerrFlinger

Post by HerrFlinger »

. . . . up 'north, near Bakewell . . .
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

HerrFlinger wrote:. . . . up 'north, near Bakewell . . .
I assume in the UK - this is a Global Forum so it is hard to know where some places are - can you go into your profile and put in your location there so it is displayed automatically on all your posts.

To your question -I would sell the chassis, body, engine and running gear with parts to assemble one vehicle as a job lot - hence selling a complete but dissambled vehicle.

I would then sell your remaining parts individually on forums like this, ebay and other means as that will maximise your return.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I think he means Bakewell, Northern Territory, Australia..
The advice still applies..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

cascade.king wrote:I think he means Bakewell, Northern Territory, Australia..
Oh - bugger - I have been there - it is in Darwin - but never heard of it before :(
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Could still mean the UK or for that matter, I bet there is a Bakewell in the USA!

As Gary pointed out, this is a forum which has members from all over the world, so putting location information in your profile helps in this sort of situation.

Selling individual pieces is obviously going to make the most money, but will take a long time to achieve. Selling everything as a Job lot will happen in a quicker time scale.

The two most recent "basket cases" that appeared in the UK sold for about £2000 a piece. The problem is the buyer has make arrangements to collect the vehicle / bits and that usually means hiring a van or something. This, plus the cost of fuel and the time involved tends to add another few hundred pounds to the deal. That can make it an unattractive proposition if you are only going to get a couple of things.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HerrFlinger

Post by HerrFlinger »

Ahem - apologies from Bakewell, UK. Where the puddings are made . . . .

Thanks for the replies so far - If I were to sell I'd rather someone who is genuinely interested having a crack at it.
I'll have to have a good look at everything I do have to see what may be missing for a complete car.
I still haven't seen another platform for sale on it's own since I bought mine three years ago - and that's from looking all over Europe !
Cheers

Paul