What did you do with your Haflinger today?

AustHaflinger

Re: What did you do with your Haflinger today?

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:(That one is that price at the moment via Europarts on Black Friday deal).

John
What is this "Black Friday" - I have heard it referenced on a few forums - here Black Friday is Friday the 13th and it is well the 13th of the month.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Black Friday is a marketing come on method in the U.S.A.. It's the day after Thanksgiving Day, and the day that many businesses give sizable discounts for their products.

Fights, riots, beatings in the malls generally ensue. Great fun to spectate.

So - there's Black Friday, Small Business Sunday (you're supposed to buy things at local small businesses), and Cyber Monday (for online retailer orders).

All B.S., of course, but the masses go wild.

One of the entertaining things to watch is that many items will be marked down to even less expensive levels a week after Black Friday - but again, the masses seem to forget that.

Here's a good video from a day or so ago....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG6q7Paglyc
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok thanks - hopefully it will stay in the USA but unfortunately the commercial sector here try to bring Americanisms here for there own purposes. Halloween is an example - yes is actually Northern European but the commercial US aspect has been imported here where it has not been part of our culture and any form except for the last few years where shops have got onto it in a big way.

Any kids come to my place my response is "we do not celebrate Halloween in Australia and if my place gets egged I know where you live" :evil:

Bah Humbug :lol:

Back on topic though - you have to be careful how much you allow the swing arms to drop because the springs can fall out without the right length straps in place. My straps were broken when I got my Haffy and when I first jacked it up and the swing arms dropped the spring did not fall out but I was able to pull it out with my hand with no effort - so there was a chance if offroad the spring could have dropped out.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yah, I think you guys are already doomed, American advertising agencies are in league with the devil, there's not much stopping them.

Good point about the springs. I guess between the straps, and the shocks, both of those are limits to the amount of droop. On a related note, my experiment with wider steel limit straps has made absolutely no difference, but maybe it'll last longer than the stock number of strands.

Jhon - 11" is my ground clearance under the engine guard, but I'm also running those larger tires.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

Some degreasing ready for fixing some leaks

Imagehaf2 by pureredcordial, on Flickr
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well that looks one thousand % better than it did when you got it all those years ago. You and your Dad should be quite chuffed with the work you have done.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Ole

Post by Ole »

Today I decided to take out the motor to look into some strange clutch noises. When i got my Haf it was growling and squeeking every now and then. But lately it has gone quiet on me and that made me worry the throwout bearing might had frozen up completely and was grinding away at something else in there.

Did not find anything horrible. The throwout bearing had some play in it but was rotating freely and doing its job. The pilot bushing was also ok and the clutch itself had lots of material left.

More worrying was the fact I found some 3 shims between the main bearing and the flywheel that I dont think is supposed to be there. As mentioned before this motor had a lot of endplay (around 1mm). Other than the endplay this motor is fine so I don't really want to open it up.

Put in new trowout bearing that I already had laying around and went to computer to empty wallet at Autoquariat. New intake manifold (carb heating tubes rotted away), pilot bearing, main oilseal, flywheel bolt and some bits and bobs now on order. Also ordered some new slightly thicker steel shims to replace the ones already in there to take up some of the endplay.

There is a lot of jobs on a Haf that is harder than need be, but removing the motor is not one of them. I knew it was not hard, but it was actually easier than expected. Hardest part was finding a safe place to hide the towbar from Garry's long fingers :D
Attachments
DSC_0015 (Medium).JPG
DSC_0014 (Medium).JPG
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Ole,
When you come to put the engine back in, put the gearbox in 5th to lock the spindle coming out of the gearbox. That way you can rock the pulley wheel on the other end of the crankshaft to get the splines to line up. If you allow the spindle to turn, when you rock the pulley wheel, it will just rock the spindle as well and take even longer to line things up.
Also remember that you need to lift the pulley end of the engine up a bit higher than the flywheel end as the front of the haflinger will be lower than the back!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Ole

Post by Ole »

Thanks for the tips John. Hopefully it will be back in in 2 weeks time.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ole wrote:Hardest part was finding a safe place to hide the towbar from Garry's long fingers :D
I know a place where you can store it when it is off your car ;)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Ole,

what do these shims between flywheel and main bearing look like? To my understanding, there should be no shims. There should be a copper gasket between flywheel and crank shaft (one that has three holes where the dowel pins sit).

Kind regards,
Constantin
Ole

Post by Ole »

Constantin,

The shims look like regular shims for bearing adjustment. I had 3 for a total thickness of 0,9mm (0,3mm each). They where between the flywheel and the trust surface of the crank bearing behind the flywheel. I added a picture so you can see them compared to the copper seal/shims that go between end of crankshaft and the flywheel. For some reason i had two of the copper shims in the flywheel.
Copper shims and mysterious thrust shims.
Copper shims and mysterious thrust shims.
You are probably right. According to the literature I have seen there is not supposed to be any shims in there. Not sure if my motor have the original bearings in it. Before removing the flywheel it had about 1mm endplay in the crank. If I had removed the shims and one of the copper shims it would be around 1,6mm! The thrust surface of the crank bearing looks good with material left on it so seems strange that this should be worn down this much. But i have not seen a new bearing or have any details on how thick the thrust surface should be.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ole wrote:You are probably right.
If you are not aware, Constantin is one of the Godfathers of Haflingers :D

So he will be more than probably right ;)

Garry
Attachments
icon_bow.gif
icon_bow.gif (265 Bytes) Viewed 20360 times
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

What have I been doing today? - well as mentioned elsewhere changed the voltage regulator to fix a charging issue.

Today I am starting my service with changing the oils. Front hubs were all Ok but the front diff oil was the colour of bright orange ochre - a sign of water and our red dirt - not sure how it got in but I did ford a muddy brown pool a while back so that is the likely cause. And of course the swing arm fulcrum seals are leaking again despite them being replaced a few different time with different types but the leaks aways come back - i have some sponge inserted between the bash plate and the diff and this soaks most of it up so it does not drop on the garage floor. Maybe this needs to go into a new thread titled "I love my Haflinger, but what were they thinking".

Oil replaced but the issue is the design of the diff and swing arms in that diff oil also fills the swing arms "I love my Haflinger, but what were they thinking". So when you drain the diff oil you do not drain the oil in the swing arms - so the new diff oil will soon be contaminated - yes there are ways around this like removing the spring and shock and lifting the swing arm up or jacking one side of the haff up so the oil runs out but not so easy with the vehicle on the ramps. Anyway front diff oil replaced and I will do again in about 1000km.

Rear has an oil leak - on cleaning everything up - yep is the rear fulcrum pin seals - never had them out because it is almost impossible to remove them with the gearbox in the car - stuff you cannot remove is in the way. "I love my Haflinger, but what were they thinking". I was worried it might have been the gearbox or engine rear main seal but these are ok.

Oils all good in the back - no orange water mix like the front.

Next is to do the tappets, change the filters, change the spark plugs, readjust the carb and redo the timing - if I remember correct the 7mm before top dead centre is also 7 degrees before top dead center so I might set it to 9 and see how it goes - more advance up to a point normally improves combustion. My Rover v8 with a bit higher compression has a standard setting of 3 and works well at 10 so 9 on the haff should be OK.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Oh and a vid of my engine running - I can hear what sounds like a dud bearing somewhere maybe in the dynastarter but it doesn't seem to hear up on the vid.

Does my engine sound the same as yours?? :D You need to click on the pic below.

ImageVID_20181117_145936

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Does the noise change when you put your foot on the clutch? The Clutch release bearing can get noisy. Also the little "flap arms" on the clutch pressure plate can make a noise, but that is more of a clatter.

Is that oil round your Dynastart fan? Looks like it in the Video, but it's not such a good shot of it.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The sound is there all the time but I could be imagining things.

What looks like oil around the fan is just overspray from a product to reduce belt slip. I put it on after I had washed the engine and needed to start it while it was still all wet. I need to clean it off sometime.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Ole

Post by Ole »

Garry, are you sure it is not running on diesel? It has some of the diesel clatter going on:)

Maybe you can use the old trick of using a big screwdriver or steel rod touching the engine and the outside of your earmuffs/hearing protection to get closer to where the sound is coming from. Even if you can't find exactly where it is coming from it is sometimes helpfull to eliminate some stuff this way.

The gear oil everywere sounds very familiar. At least it keeps the rust away.

I have noted to listen closely when Constantin speaks:)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ole wrote:Garry, are you sure it is not running on diesel? It has some of the diesel clatter going on:)
Well I must admit most Haflingers I have listened too seem to have the VW clatter (we call VWs 'Dak a Daks' here) and mine has a smoother sound than most Haflinger engines. However there is some sort of bearing noise higher up in the engine and sounds like the dynastarter - maybe I need to take John's advice and pull the dynatarter if for no other reason to change the brushes and i can check the bearings there.

So does your engine go Dak a Dak or is nice an quiet?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

pureredcordial wrote:Some degreasing ready for fixing some leaks

Imagehaf2 by pureredcordial, on Flickr
Ok Matt - its been a year now - what else you done :D

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)