What did you do with your Haflinger today?

AustHaflinger

Re: What did you do with your Haflinger today?

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes Kerry - John is Troll :o - he always asks relevant questions :D

Yes there is a filler hole but it is at the top of the tube so you cannot tell how much is in there - it would be better if the filler was at the required level and a drain at the bottom. I have on my nice to do list to put in a filler on the side at an appropriate level and a drain.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

that is why I said use something as a dipstick .

and I don't mean some of my customers from years ago :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There is a member on here who owns a SWB which he has just done a restoration job on. The drive tube on that does not have either a filler hole or a drain hole - I checked it also as it seemed odd.
His is a 1962 if I remember correctly.

Mine is a LWB 1973 and it has a filler hole but no drain hole. A homemade dipstick from something like a bent coat hanger would fit in the hole and give you a level.

I seem to remember reading about oil managing to get from the tube into the gearbox or was it the other way round? anyway, it was down to worn seals at one end or the other of the tube, that would probably have been as a result of having lots of oil in the center tube.

I am still mystified by a lot of the "solutions" Steyr Puch engineers came up with for dealing with issues that other manufactures solved in simpler fashion.

Major one being dealt with at the moment by Gary, the setting of wheel bearing preload!
Others include top and bottom king pins (swivel pins) - daft shimming for the bottom one and useless method for removing top one when it's worn and has a lip.
I am sure there are others, but after a visit to the Pub, the brain doesn't want to be involved in hard work!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: I am still mystified by a lot of the "solutions" Steyr Puch engineers came up with for dealing with issues that other manufactures solved in simpler fashion.
I agree - maybe we need a "have a sook" section on the forum where we can de-stress ;)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

What did I do today - got really P*%##d Off.

Today was supposed to put new fluids in the hubs, diffs and gearbox, bleed and adjust the brakes and drive off :lol:

So the first task was to go and get the oil - so backing the Range Rover out the garage and the external passenger mirror gets caught on my parts cupboard - the housing bent forward as it is supposed to do but then the actual mirror got ripped out :( - left dangling by it wires. Normally they will clip back in but of course all the clips got broken so a new mirror is needed :(

Got the oil and filled the hubs no issues. I drained the rear diff/gearbox oil out the diff drain but thought I would also take the gearbox drain out as I have never removed it - just to see how much extra oil there was - only a few mls.

I put the diff drain plug back in no issues but the gearbox drain plug which had a lot of sealant around it when I took it out was put back in it just turned and turned and never got over finger tight- would hold OK but not tighten. Clearly the thread in the gearbox housing has been previously stripped and a previous owner had put it back with lots of sealant to keep it sealed :( and it did not leak.

The drain really needs to be drilled out, retapped and a larger diameter sump plug put in. I am not really in a position to do that at the moment so once the oil has stopped dripping I will clean it all up and do something similar to what a previous owner has done - I will put liquid steel on the top of the thread and sealant on the bottom then when I remove the gearbox later to fix a bearing I will get the work done properly. On that there was no swarf on the magnetic pickups so while there is noisy bearing it is not wearing.

So not a happy camper the moment. :(

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

its not nice when its one bloody thing after another .
I hope you can still smile .

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The "tell tale" sign was all the sealant! :geek:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing if you can learn from it. Real bummer that you managed to break all the clips holding the mirror in place. Maybe you should just glue the thing back together and use it as a spare?

You could try cleaning the tread in the gearbox using brake and clutch cleaner so it is nice and oil free. Then put a thin layer of silicone grease on the drain plug. Put a ring of liquid metal round the thread of the drain plug and screw it in place. The chemical metal should bond to the cleaned thread in the gearbox casing. Not to the silicone grease, so you can take the drain plug out after it has all set.

Most likely you will still have to use a lot of gasket sealant on it to ensure it seals, but if done correctly, it should be a near a permanent repair as you can get without helicoiling the hole.

I did wonder about the two drain plugs, but looking at the sectional line drawing in the repair manual, there is actually a lip between the gearbox and the diff. Presumably to ensure that some oil remains in the gearbox even if you lose oil out of the diiff plates / clutch hosing.

Sounds like you are getting real close to being back on the road...... Don't forget to put a squirt of grease into all the grease nipples before you go for a drive! :ugeek:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

helicoiling or threaded plugs , or oversize drain plug can be done in place .
lots of grease on the drill and the tap .
drill at very slow speed , clean swarf often .
flush with kerosene ,
a couple of oil changes to be safe ,

just a suggestion .

Kerry

ps ; I would go with an oversize insert with a shoulder / flange for the sealing washer .
locktighted in place , so the drain plug is what unscrews .
to do this you will need it clean . flush well .
or gently lay the Haffy on its side , on tyres , so it is easy to get at ,
but do the flushing before laying down .

I hope you understand my thoughts

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - that is exactly what I did as a temp measure - I put two washers on it and it actually started to grip - certainly well enough to hold it in there so it will not fall out - left for a couple of hours for all the oil to drain and then cleaned a few times with petrol. When dry the plug went back in with the liquid metal at the top and sealant at the bottom - with it nipped up seems OK.

Kerry - yes I follow exactly but just not up to doing it at the moment. Of course the designers have one of the bars of the bash plate/grid right under the drain plug so it has to be removed first and I am sick of pullin stuff off. The engine, gearbox, rear diff has to come out in due course for a gearbox rebuild so I will do the drain plug then assuming it doesn't leak before hand.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

no worries mate .
I have done a lot of rebuilt bash plates , much stronger , not difficult to do .
just threw that in in case of interest .

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Popped down to the local DIY store to get a couple of sheets of chipboard flooring that wouldn't fit in the car;
  • Despite (or perhaps because of?) the near freezing temps and lack of any doors I re-discovered the joys of driving a Haflinger for the first time in ages.
    Felt very superior to the lady who couldn't get the remote locking to let her back in to her mega expensive Range Rover - told her that I didn't have such problems. 8-)
    Disappointed that the Polish car wash man at the local supermarket wouldn't rise to the challenge of cleaning it - but he did have a laugh at the suggestion

Next outing will be later this week to pick up an 8 ft Christmas tree from the neighbouring farm - I might even be able to avoid any roads for this one :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch felt useful today as well,so he helped the neighbour remove an old plastic Wendy house to the local amenity point. Parts of the Wendy house went in the back of the Citroen Piccaso but not all of it. Easy just to put them on the back and strap them down...

Then he helped another neighbour who was re-roofing their shed, local Building suppliers to get 4 sheets of 8x4 foot Shuttering plywood. Again, dead simple to put on the back and strap down with out having to put a roof rack on etc.

Haven't tried getting Lurch washed at the local supermarket, but there again, I don't think they have a jet wash! The biggest issue with washing a Haflinger is the side rails and the mud that collects on the lower lip. Think I am going to have to make a special tool that allows you to scrape that surface...

It will have to have a replaceable plastic blade at the correct angle to cut down to the painted metal, but not damage that. It will have to force the mud away from the vertical surface. It should also have a water supply to wash things clean afterwards. Come to think of it, why not just a water jet which has has the nozzle turned round to point towards the handle? Needs to be narrow enough to fit in the gap between the rear footwells and the side rail.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I know it is New Year's day but I was home so I thought I would install the Petronix electronic ignition - how easy could it be :)

I read the instructions and noted where how the distributor was aligned in the housing and where the rotor was pointed and then remived the dizzy I removed the points and the condenser - of course I lost the screw down under the engine where sun don't shine :cry: never to be seen again.

I took the points base plate out and inspected the mechanical advance. Not sure if it is correct but mine has different springs but other than that all seemed OK - I put a little lube on the springs.

The next issue was to screw the new base plate in - the instructions are not real clear on this but a bit of common sense applied and all went OK.

When it was all in I put the dizzy back near where I had taken it out and fired her up - wasn't happy with about 15 degrees ATDC timing but when back at 7 BTDC all ran nicely at 600rpm idle. It doesn't run any better than before, but it did have new points and recently set up but at least no more points and condenser issues. I will put all the removed parts and wires in a waterproof bag and put in the spares box.

Tomorrow - I need to take the hand brake levers of the rear hubs and move them to a different position as the handbrake will not current adjust up with the cable adjusted up and drain ad refill all hubs and the front diff after doing all the work I did a couple of months back.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

I take it you dropped the screw on the ground in the grass / concrete? Then when you looked, you could find it? If you haven't moved to much in that area, you could try the "magnet" trick..... As big a magnet as you can find, the ones on the back of loudspeakers are pretty good to use, the ones welders use or if you have an old CRT monitor / TV there is a a good pair of magnets on the neck of the tube. Tie a piece of string around the magnet and drag it back and forth over the area the screw should be in - plus about 2 foot extra all round in case it rolled a long way.

Handbrake lever works in one of two positions as far as I can tell and it might not work in one of them on your particular Haf. All the handbrakes I have seen have either been on when pulled right up and are at something like 70 degrees or they are only just above the platform. I think the arms on the hubs only have a square hole and so only have 90 degree adjustments. Maybe they should have a HEX head hole to allow finer placement?

Hope you don't find too much in the way of metal filings in the hub oil or the Diff oil - might be worth draining each in to a separate container so you can what each one is doing.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - no the little bolt is under the engine (near the crank pulley) between the engine and the tinwork - with probably a 100 other little bits. I used a long magnet but couldn't find it. I just used another small bolt I had in my spare nuts and bolts.

My handbrake shaft on the rear hubs is splines and with the cable adjusted completely up the handbrake arms touch the axle housing stopping the brake shoes from fully extending when the handbrake is on. I need to take the arms off and move them a few splines to the rear - the issue is that it takes me about an hour to put the adjuster nut on the adjuster under the drivers area and adjust up - the area is just too tight and each movement of the spanner is only about 1/8th of a turn.

The machining of the cast in the new hub gears was a bit rough in the teeth area so I would expect that by now it should all be nice and smooth so new oil will do it good. I did change the oil in one hub for other reasons a while back and there was some very fine silvering in the oil that would normal be picked up by a swarf collector but as there is no collector it will be in the oil.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Guess what Gary,

It's too bloody cold out there to day to do any work on Lurch! I should do the same as you, oil changes in the hubs, differentials, grease in all the nipples, probably even an engine oil and filter change.

Not going to happen today!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Guess what Gary,

It's too bloody cold out there to day to do any work on Lurch!
John
I have the opposite problem - too bloody hot - tomorrow we got no cloud, no wind and 35°c (95°F) and it only gets hotter over the next two months.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Went out for a play, with a friend!

Edit to add photo.
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Their just posing! Bet they didn't even dare get their booties muddy :lol: :lol:

Looks like a nice place to play, was it a "pay and play day"? Thought about trying one of those down this way, but really needs to have another Hafi to go along with as the others might gang up on you! :shock:

One time, Lurch tried playing the way Modified Landrovers do, he ended up taking a nap on his side! :? Another time he came last in a trials because he forgot to take his original wheels and tyres with him. Couldn't let the air out of the mud and snow road tyres as they would have gone flat suddenly. The 13 inch rims obviously not as good at holding the tyre beads as the originals.

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi John - it does look like they are posing but both got their wheels very muddy later on! It was actually one of our local 4WD club monthly trial events - about 17 vehicles in our class (but only the two Haflingers). I trailered it to this event as it is about 30 miles from my home - that saves me having to change the wheels and tyres at the start and end of the day.

It was a good day - unfortunately Frank (the owner of the other Haflinger) had to retire after 6 sections. I'm happy to report in terms of points scoring that the wee Haffy trounced all of the opposition. There's a bit of muttering going on within the 'young team' in their V8 disco's and 90's!

Edit to add photo
Last edited by jhon on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.