What did you do with your Haflinger today?

AustHaflinger

Re: What did you do with your Haflinger today?

Post by AustHaflinger »

How do the ATV tyres go on the Haffie and the standard rims?? When my current 14" tyres wear out I am going to put Maxxis mud tyres on but I a also thinking about getting ATV tyres on my 12" standard rims for just offroad.

Nice pics - any action stuff.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

garrycol wrote:How do the ATV tyres go on the Haffie and the standard rims?? When my current 14" tyres wear out I am going to put Maxxis mud tyres on but I a also thinking about getting ATV tyres on my 12" standard rims for just offroad.

Nice pics - any action stuff.

Cheers

Garry
Hi Garry - the tyres are 24x8x12 and (although a bit pinched) fit and work very well; most of the driving I do on these is off-road. I have driven a bit on-road with them and they're pretty horrible (noisy/vibration and they sap a lot of power).

I was thinking of getting the standard rims banded out to 6'' width but can't really justify the expense.

Re action pics - I posted a separate thread - I hope to see more!

Cheers,

John
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks John,

I was also thinking of getting my wheels widened. Banding is not generally legal here - here they just take the the centre out and put it in a new wider rim. Is cheap and easy to do and you get your old rim back so you can take the wheels back to standard size later if required.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Saturday morning, first road trip , on the back of a trailer and only a short trip to the painter to have all the framework and doors painted.

Dave
Attachments
Trailer 1.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Is looking good - so is the tow vehicle :)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Thanks Gary , The Discovery is nearly 3 years old now from new ,but the coffers box is empty so I will be keeping it a while longer.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Grrrrr - My Day Today

Post by AustHaflinger »

I like mandarins so I decided to go and buy a mandarin tree and took the Haflinger. At the plant nursery there was the usual discussion about the Haflinger but when I was leaving a lady come up to me and said my car sounded like a Golf Buggy she once owned :evil: She compared my Haffie to a golf buggy - :shock: :evil:

Later I needed to go to the hardware store to get a few things and while driving through a merge lane area I was nearly collected by some mad woman who didn't realise it was my lane and she should not be in it - came within 2" of hitting her car.

About 20 minutes later some old biddy in a grey Subaru pulled out of a give way sign (give way to all traffic) right in front of me and gave me the bird when I beeped her. Then not 200m up the road a white Volvo pulled out from a stop sign (stop and then give way to all traffic) requiring me to take evasive action - that was close - real close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiyb2c5D1_s

I think my Haffie must be invisible - maybe I need to get some DRLs fitted.

I had a minor incident in the local carpark with my daily driver late last year so I bought a dash cam but I now feel naked when I drive without it so I bought extra mounts for all my vehicles so when I drive the Haffie these days I normally have the dash cam in it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Crikey Garry there were a few close shaves there!

ACT is too dangerous for me.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think you need to change the horn for something a bit louder! Forget originality! Like like the resolution of your dash cam - it also seems to cope quite well with the shade from the trees at speed.

I think turning it in to a Christmas tree with DRL's probably wouldn't have solved the first incident as she came from either behind or the side and just didn't know where she was going! The others are down to people having the same problem motorcyclists have had for decades! They don't bother to look and register what is on the road.

Glad you didn't hit any of them or they hit you as even if it is there fault - it makes a mess of your day, week, year, decade.... Took me 7 years to get compensation for being knocked off my motorcycle - even with a policeman witnessing the accident!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch took rubbish to the local amenity point (rubbish dump) today, Rules say "no flat beds" - he seems to get away with it as they had never seen a Haflinger before I took Lurch there. It's easy to throw black bin bags on the back and a strap or two to hold everything in place.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Like like the resolution of your dash cam - it also seems to cope quite well with the shade from the trees at speed.
It is a mini dash cam 0805 - the actual resolution is much better than in the video as the conversion and cutting process really cuts into the native resolution and then Youtube takes it cut.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

We meet again

Post by AustHaflinger »

Felt like a nice cappuccino this afternoon so drove down to the shops for the coffee and a read of the paper.

As I turned into the carpark and there was the white Volvo from yesterday - and she gave way to me this time :) .

The vid

She obviously recognised my car and remembered yesterday's incident as she was going to turn the same direction I was going but turned and went the opposite direction.

Hehehe :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

She'll come and talk to you next!

(And ask if it is amphibious)! :lol:

John

blazing928

Post by blazing928 »

Wet day so I thought I would finally fit the Petronix ignition, replaces the points.
Close to worlds worse instructions, basically had to guess which way it fitted.
Spin the engine, no start, but plenty of smoke!
One fried module! It melted...

Replaced points - Haffa starts!
No idea why, maybe the coil is faulty, as the instructions mentions ohms the coil should emit.
Anyone have a photo of one fitted?

Might have to order again $$$ grrr
Last edited by blazing928 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nigel

Haflinger 1973 700 APT2,
sold- Haflinger 76 Vic rego LCT 131 - sold mid 80's - where is it????
Porsche 87 928S4, Cayenne D, GLS350d, Alfasud x 5,
Ducati 907IE x 2, Lambretta LI150 S3, Vespa 150
Flinkel Fluff GT,
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Did you put an ohm meter across the coil first - should be greater than 3 ohms. If less dead module.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Some of the Haflinger coils were 1.5-2.0 ohms, always check before installing any type of ignition module.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

What a dreadful piece of design work on the part of Petronix! Surely they could put even a basic fuse it the system to cope with a potentially high current that could fry their electronics...

I would be asking for a replacement or my money back.

John

Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

No, the install instructions are quite clear, you must check coil resistance (more than 3.0 ohms) or module will fail.
I've had mine for almost 4 years now, no problems, starts every time.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Still doesn't prevent them putting a fuse in the line to limit potentially high enough current that will fry the unit. Even if only to tell you that you should fit one.

I am not disputing that if you get a unit and get it working that it will go on working - just that their design could be better.

John

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

It sounds like it would take more than a simple fuse to rectify the problem of high coil resistance. Designing a circuit to allow operation of the unit across a large and variable range would be pretty tough..
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder