New guy with a silly question....

RPower

New guy with a silly question....

Post by RPower »

Is the "American" Haflinger ('71 & '72) the only one referred to as a "Pathfinder"? I see "Pathfinder" used for ANY of the North American Haflingers ("Bug Eyes"), but wasn't the U.S. version the only one with the "Pathfinder" name plate? I have looked around and I can't seem to find this information. :oops:
Julian B

Re: New guy with a silly question....

Post by Julian B »

My understanding is that the name Pathfinder was originally aimed at the North American market, but see http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/countries/usa.php for more info.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

The "Pathfinder" title and badge only applies to the '71 & '72 models built for the USA. The Canadian trucks are significantly different.
Cheers,
Steve
RPower

Post by RPower »

Julian B wrote:My understanding is that the name Pathfinder was originally aimed at the North American market, but see http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/countries/usa.php for more info.
Thanks Julian, I must have missed that while perusing the site. :oops:
HaffyHunter wrote:The "Pathfinder" title and badge only applies to the '71 & '72 models built for the USA.
I figured it was, but I have seen people using it quite liberally and didn't want to be perpetuating misinformation.
HaffyHunter wrote: The Canadian trucks are significantly different.
Would you happen to have a reference for this, like a link or something? I'm curious as to the differences. :)
Thanks!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Here is a table I put together showing the notable differences between the US Pathfinder and Canadian spec Haflingers. Constantin shows many of these items on his website under the Countries section.
Cheers,
Steve
 Pathfinder vs Canadian.pdf
(49.75 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

My understanding is that the name Pathfinder was originally aimed at the North American market
Hi Julian,
Actually, the original name proposed for the North American spec trucks was "Heaver" (thanks Constantin). Praise to the gods that this name was not adopted as, for us North Americans, the connotation would be a vehicle that could be expected to routinely hurl its insides out at any time :oops: .
Cheers,
Steve
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Funny.. I just read through the Pathfinder vs Canadian bug eye spec sheet..
My Pathfinder has no column lock. Mine has a Bosch lock on the instrument panel.

I have no reason to suspect that it was a work around by the previous owners..
Randomly choosing to exchange the lock with a switch off a Porsche 356 seems unlikely.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

And Charles Frick's has the same.. As well as the foot mounted dimmer switch..
image.jpg
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the update. It's quite likely that the steering shaft mounted ignition switch and dimmer switch move to the signal light lever did not happen until late production Pathfinders. As with all Haflingers, little changes occurred often and we're not well documented, especially in the later years.
Cheers,
Steve
RPower

Post by RPower »

Thanks for the table, very cool! That's a huge bummer that the Canadian models only came in red however. :(
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Ryan,
I'd love to know the story behind only one colour for Canada. I suppose that's one of the Haflinger mysteries that we may never find an answer for. There was a few in municipal service in Quebec that were repainted when new as an ugly orange-yellow colour but the original red was still underneath.
Cheers,
Steve
RPower

Post by RPower »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of red. :( I'm thinking more along the lines of a Mint Green (Reseda, aka. Birch Green?) with dark green canvas and matching plaid upholstery....
Something like this cute little guy...

http://librapix.com.s3.amazonaws.com/cl ... m/2643.jpg
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

A nice colour for a Haflinger (not sure about plaid upholstery though) just not very Canadian, eh. :lol:

Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

RPower wrote:Yeah, I'm not a fan of red. :( I'm thinking more along the lines of a Mint Green (Reseda, aka. Birch Green?) with dark green canvas and matching plaid upholstery....
Sounds just like my 1962 SWB - albeit I was never tempted by plaid upholstery! :D
Attachments
L1000783.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
RPower

Post by RPower »

HaffyHunter wrote:A nice colour for a Haflinger (not sure about plaid upholstery though) just not very Canadian, eh. :lol:

Steve
I'm a little eccentric myself, so why not for a Hafie? ;)
Julian B wrote:
RPower wrote:Yeah, I'm not a fan of red. :( I'm thinking more along the lines of a Mint Green (Reseda, aka. Birch Green?) with dark green canvas and matching plaid upholstery....
Sounds just like my 1962 SWB - albeit I was never tempted by plaid upholstery! :D
That's exactly what I was thinking as far as body color goes Julian! Nice truck, I love it!