Shuush The Little Haffies Are Sleeping

AustHaflinger

Re: Shuush The Little Haffies Are Sleeping

Post by AustHaflinger »

Goatwerks wrote:I try to post when I can, Lazaris aka The Green Machine stays busy taking me on an occasional trail ride or to the coffee house in the mornings.
garrycol wrote:And with a couple of exceptions, those who are knowledgeable on Haflingers and have lots of knowledge never post.
Garry
Jim - you are one of the exceptions that I mentioned and I for one, am very thankful for your input and advice as it has helped me immensely.

Yes - I need to go over the front and replace sealing strips around vents etc. Very early on in my ownership - the first winter I found that above 50kph the hood around the top of the screen lifted enough to let the cold air in and I used some sealing rubber to keep the cold air out which worked, but not so good with the water.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i hope i give enough info when i can .
my computer ability does cause some problems .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

All da little Haflingers have gone to sleep again - so be very quiet that you do not wake up any of them.

My own is running OK just needs a service and the handbrake adjusted but is currently unregistered because the local guy who signs off on the historic registration has been unable to stamp my papers but hopefully will be done this week and I will be back on the road.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I'd noticed how quiet it has gone too. But I am sure it is just seasonal.

In an effort to try to simplify my life I recently sold one of my Hafs, & will look to sell a LWB chassis soon, but look forward to using my others next Spring. :)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

You can use it now! I have almost finished making up a new exhaust system for Lurch, then we have a trials to go to on the 20th Nov just down the road in Uckfield.
You could even try a couple of the sections, not much worse than driving in your woods! Just your not supposed to stop, so needs a bit more concentration...
Only real issue is you would get your shiny Haf dirty :o
I'm going to have to see if I can get at least one of my rear seats sorted as I have a couple of friend who have expressed an interest in coming to watch.
No real problem for them to take their everyday cars down the track to the site, but they might think so.

Site is quite because nobody is using their Haf's and therefore either breaking them and needing advise on how to fix something or working in their sheds / garages putting one back together!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Shuush The Little Haffies Are all Sleeping again :) .
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well it seems all the little haffies seem to have gone back to sleep again - they must be tired.

I must admit mine has been resting with a broken wing for a few months - got the parts to repair the oil leak in the rear hub but other more important things in life are a priority at the moment - but maybe it might be running again next week.

As things are quiet, please consider telling us what you been doing on your vehicles or what daunting issues you have been putting off until a rainy day :D

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

A question which I am sure has no definitive answer but never the less requires an answer!

As already posted, Lurch managed to snap the crankshaft in two and whilst I organise replacement bits to rebuild the engine, I have managed to borrow a replacement engine.
Now this an ex DSS engine (500cc) that has had bigger barrels and pistons installed, so will need running in.
The question then- how many miles should I put on the engine before using all the extra horse power it has? I am currently pottering around town which is 20 and 30 mile an hour speed limited. Have approximately 300 miles already done at at these speeds. Driving around town makes for lots of gear changes and changes in load but it’s really boring!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I was always taught not to baby a new engine - just drive it "normally" - I guess normally was not like a rev head. What driving normally meant was no prolonged over reving and no prolonged labouring of the engine so gear selection was important and dont let the engine stay in at a particular rev point for extended periods. However the occasional high revs and the occasional load was good to bed in the rings.

So simply drive it in various conditions as you would normally with the occasional "extreme" rev or load.

When I had my two engine failures a few years back and put new barrels and pistons in that is what I did and all worked out OK.

I think it is time for you to start enjoying it.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Shuush The Little Haffies Are Sleeping - Please do not disturb

Its been too hot in the southern hemisphere with record heat waves and too cold in the northern hemisphere for the little haffies to come out and play.

You northern hemisphere people need to stop polluting the planet so us southern hemisphere people do not get cooked by the hot weather - January (which is not the hottest month of the year) was a month of records. Almost every day in January here in Canberra was above 35c and normally closer to 40c - breaking all Jan records with a max of 42 and we still have Feb to come which is even hotter, but thankfully is cooler at the moment. Elsewhere we also had the highest night time temp on record in Australia at 36c - that is in the middle of the night.

If this keeps up it will be too hot to drive our Haflingers, so your northerners need to stop polluting so much :|

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Ole

Post by Ole »

Sorry Garry!

I have been out almost daily with my Haffy lately. The amount of co2's coming out of this thing per hp is amazing. BTW I have my flaps closed to keep the motor hot enough;)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hot in the northern hemisphere (now you know what it is like here every year) and blizzards here, so all the little haffies must be all tucked up nice and warm down here or sweating it out in the UK - poor little trucks.

Nice day here though and all the snow is rapidly melting.

Shuush The Little Haffies Are Sleeping ;)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took Lurch for a drive yesterday as I had some things to deliver. Ran really well and didn't have to slow very much for the hills I met on the way.

Must get round to installing the back seats, but I suppose they can wait whilst I continue the "forth Bridge" attack on the rust - all the easy bits are done, now it's just the stuff which might mean having to take the platform off....

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So you got 4 back seats or 2 back seats to go in? You got people to cart around? I have 2 rear seat frames that need upholstery that can go in the back of my SWB but being a bit safety conscience I would be concerned about the lack of seat belts and lack of roll over protection (more people are killed here on farms by ATVs and UTVs without Roll Over Protection (ROP) here than by any other cause).

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Re: Shuush The Little Haffies must Have CoVid 19

Post by AustHaflinger »

Wow it has been quiet around here - all the little Haflingers must be self isolating.

My heart goes out to all those in Europe and North America where things have been tough. Thankfully here (Aust) it is not so bad with only a small proportion of infections (5300) and death (less that 58 so far) so we have been lucky - main issue have been cruise ships.

Every one - stay safe, stay isolated and hopefully this will end soon.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

We have all been told to stay at home, so not really any opportunities to take Haf's for a drive or two. I am still working so no time other weekends to really do anything to Lurch. Then on top of work, we are busy extending the kitchen so evenings and weekends are taken up doing that.

Poor Lurch is sat under a tarp waiting for some use. I try to start the engine and go for a quick drive round the block to keep things working, so when we are allowed out again, I don't have to spend a long time trying to get things to work again.

John

ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I tried starting my Haf up last week but no go, then the little light came on in my head, check for petrol and yes the tank was bone dry.
I might fill the tank today and see if I can start it, its been a while since it last ran.
stay safe everyone.

Dave
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Not all Hafs are sleeping - here is mine in the chemist carpark late last month.
Attachments
20200326_110201.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Nice pic :D

I have stopped using my Haflinger for the shopping as I constantly get bailed up - I dont mind the genuine car enthusiasts but most are just wannabe bogans who are more interested in how cool they would look driving around - hey no one looks as cool as I do driving it around :lol:

How cool am I :roll: :lol:
056.jpg
P4250047 (3).JPG
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

Are you a millionaire yet? if not you need to start demanding a dollar for every time some one asks you if it is amphibious!

My problem is getting them to pay up! :lol:

John