600 miles.

Tajman

600 miles.

Post by Tajman »

Not posted for a while. Been busy, but have managed 600 miles since completion of rebuild in 2020/21. Although these are all road miles. I haven't yet got the Haflinger dirty! I am working up to it. No major issues in that time, once I had sorted out the fan belts. In my spare time , well it took a year where as the Haflinger took 2 years, I have rebuilt An Austin 7 Special with 1931 chassis, 1960s Hamblin Cadet Mk2 GRP body and 1980s Reliant engine.
It's time I think to give the Haflinger an oil change and maybe check the cylinder head torque settings. What do you think else needs checking after 600 miles?
Jeff.
20221030_113519.jpg
IMG_20221101_105021797_HDR.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20210830_092924911_HDR.jpg
heinkeljb

Re: 600 miles.

Post by heinkeljb »

Everything!

Actually, lots of things might become loose and therefore it would be good practice to go round and just check things, like wheel nuts, lights. Grease all the grease points and whilst doing that, check king pins, check diff lock lever pivot points for excess play. little bit of grease on each. Check brake adjusters, hand brake adjustment.
Personally, as you are half way to the normal 1200 mile service interval, I would change the oil and filter seeing as you have just rebuilt the engine / engine not see use for years prior. That way you will catch and remove any of the bigger rubbish that might be floating around in the oil and that has come loose.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Thanks John,
Yes I have new oil and filter to change. Most of the other things you recommend ,I usually do a good check round after a good run, (not that confident with my own workmanship.) Also cleaned the plugs and points, although they were not to bad which can only be a good thing.
One of the pictures shows the Haflinger at our local show , Stokes Bay, Gosport, Hampshire, UK. August bank holiday. I have won best in class there (4x4).
But this year it went to a Series One Landrover. I went home and sulked. If only my rebuild had been as easy and cheap as doing a Landrover! I have owned one in the past.
I wonder how your vehicle is now? Are you still going to off road meetings? Maybe I should come along and see what is involved.
Kind regards to all Haffi owners over the Festive Season.
Jeff.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

One of the maintenance issues I have with my vehicle is the tappets closing up over time and impacting exhaust hydrocarbons and engine performance. Is just a pain removing rocker covers and adjusting them - then getting the covers back on and not leaking.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Poor Lurch is currently sitting on the driveway with an engine replacement half done. Lots of thigns happening which reduce the amount of time I might be able to spend re-assembling it and the weather over the last couple of months has been terrible.
Working outside in the rain is not pleasant when you know you have lots of things that will require you to be lying on your back underneath the Haf. Water trickling down on you from both directions! So, it is just waiting!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!