Manuals and such

RPower

Manuals and such

Post by RPower »

As my truck will be here soon, I wanted to procure a repair and/or parts manual for my "69 Canadian Hafie.... Does anyone know where to procure such things?

Thanks,
Ryan
heinkeljb

Re: Manuals and such

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Ryan,

I don't think they produced a "specific" set of books for your variation of the Haflinger. At the very least you can buy both books from Haflinger Technik as reprints. They are quite thick books so are reasonably expensive particularly as you will have a carriage cost as well.

It might be possible to get books via Fleabay as they do appear there every once in a while.

Are you planning on doing the minimal amount of work to get it going, and then enjoy using it for a while, or are you going to start stripping it straight away to do a "ground up" restoration.

Personally, I prefer my vehicles to work rather than sit in the garage in a pile of pieces, but obviously there comes a time when there is just too much that requires "fixing" and a complete dismantle / rebuild job is called for.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
RPower

Post by RPower »

heinkeljb wrote:Are you planning on doing the minimal amount of work to get it going, and then enjoy using it for a while, or are you going to start stripping it straight away to do a "ground up" restoration.

Personally, I prefer my vehicles to work rather than sit in the garage in a pile of pieces, but obviously there comes a time when there is just too much that requires "fixing" and a complete dismantle / rebuild job is called for.

John
I would like to restore him as much as possible, but I think it really depends on what he looks like when he gets here. There seemed to be quite a bit of rust evident in the pictures, and insinuated by someone who has seen him in person last year. As a guy that works on German cars for a living, that knows almost nothing about body work, I am concerned mostly with the extent of the body work, as I most likely will not be doing that myself. The mechanicals shouldn't be THAT much of a stretch from my usual daily routine. /crosses fingers
heinkeljb wrote:Hi Ryan,

I don't think they produced a "specific" set of books for your variation of the Haflinger. At the very least you can buy both books from Haflinger Technik as reprints. They are quite thick books so are reasonably expensive particularly as you will have a carriage cost as well.

It might be possible to get books via Fleabay as they do appear there every once in a while.
Thanks for the tip! I'll be perusing their website next to see the relative cost and such. :)

Is there a place to find replacement body panels, footwell pans, etc. in the event that I would need them, or is it going to be a mostly custom job?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Haflinger Technik have a selection of body panels which, as far as I know are sourced from European suppliers. Either way, transport on big body panels is going to make getting such thing very expensive.

I think the thing to do is what you have been contemplating already, wait until it arrives and then take stock of what's actually wrong - Just how much rust there is in one place or another and does that justify a huge complete piece or could it be cut out and a locally made section inserted at a cheaper cost.

Pictures don't always show things exactly how they are, Rust patches can show up as extensive and then turn out to be surface rust or show up as pin hole in the paint but underneath there is no metal at all!

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Haflinger!

John

p.s. If you edit your [profile to show where about in the world you are, maybe there is another Haf near by.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!