How do Haflingers respond to falling over?

heinkeljb

How do Haflingers respond to falling over?

Post by heinkeljb »

So after my eventful weekend during which I managed to tip Lurch on to his side. Lots of questions!

Once recovered on to four wheels, could I have started the engine at that point without issue?

I know I decided to take the spark plugs out and turn the engine over without them, but is that actually necessary?

How does the engine deal with oil from the sump ending up down one barrel and then draining back to the sump when back on four wheels?

Do you have to get the engine level before you try starting or can you start whilst still a something of an angle?

Also with the petrol tank being on the side that ended up on the ground, it did leak some petrol. Is this to be expected?

What about battery acid - should i be checking the battery box for spilt acid? Would it be a good idea to get a GEL battery just to cater for these events?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: How do Haflingers respond to falling over?

Post by AustHaflinger »

Not a Haflinger but I did tip a 1955 Landrover on its side. Oil started to drain out of the engine so I put a bucket under to catch it. Electrolyte did start coming out the battery so I removed it and coolant started coming out - was raining so I didn't worry about it.

When we pulled it up right we put the oil and battery back in, got some water from the a nearby creek an checked underneath if any other oil had run out. I gently turned the engine over on the starter in case oil had filled the cylinders. All was OK and fired up with a bit of blue smoke.

For a Haffie I would think same basic principle would apply - not sure on a standard engine but but my pistons have cooling oil holes in the piston that may allow oil through to the combustion chamber. John - do you have your crank handle?? I would have checked the engine was free by turning it over by the crank. Failing that the dyna start would not have the power to damage a locked engine but I think if not able to hand crank, it is a wise move to remove the plugs.

I would check your battery for a spill but shouldn't have been much. I wouldn't go for a AGM but it would not be an issue.

I think depending how much fuel you had onboard I think fuel leakage from the tank and carby is to be expected. Also check your brake fluid.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

Good call about the brake fluid, I'll check on that to day. Lurch has a service due soon as the mileage has been building so all fluid levels will be checked then in any case.

The questions might have answers from those who have been using Haflingers longer that you or me, but so far their replies seem to be slow in forthcoming.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi John - mine has been on it's side a couple of times when trialling in RTV events. When it's been on it's side it's only been for a couple of minutes and the engine has not been running.
As I recall, when righted it started up pretty much right away with a little blue smoke but no other apparent ill-effects.
I've never seen the need to remove plugs - the rings should stop any appreciable volume of oil getting in to the combustion chamber; no problems with battery or brake fluid spillage either.
Now.. trouser spillage, that's another matter! :D