Canadian Haflinger owners?

Yakov

Canadian Haflinger owners?

Post by Yakov »

Are there any Haflinger owners located in Canada on this forum?

I'd like for someone to share what make, model, type, etc is written in your Canadian ownership paper.

My Haflinger is currently registered as a 4-wheel all-terrain vehicle with the registry, with the model written as "HALF", which is an obvious misspelling, and the make as "PUC".

Does anyone from Canada drive theirs on the road, and if so, how did you go about registering it?
heinkeljb

Re: Canadian Haflinger owners?

Post by heinkeljb »

Daft computer, posted before I finished writing. So deleting this half done post!

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome "Yakov",

I take it from your post that you are located somewhere in Canada, If you care to fill out your profile with a little more detail I am sure some of our Canadian members will be along shortly to answer your questions.

Obviously, as this is an international Haflinger forum, we have members from all over the world and it can get a bit difficult helping someone by trying to point them in the direction of somewhere they can get spares from, for instance, only to discover you have listed some where on the other side of the world from them!

Actually, sometimes you will have to get your spares from the other side of the world!

Out of interest, do you have a local "registry" department which you can walk into and talk to someone face to face? If so, taking lots of documents with pictures from manufacturers brochures along with photos of your actually vehicle might persuade them to amend your registration.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

John, thanks for the reply and suggestion - I hadn't thought to fill out the profile.

There is an office that has Ministry of Transportation officials to ask. I'm taking this registration thing slowly, as the official ownership is registered to the now-deceased former owner. So there's that to sort out before I can get to changing the vehicle type. I want to be encouraged that it's at all possible to register it as a road vehicle here.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I know that there are several people on here that have Haflingers, Some of which I am sure are "original" Canadian import / sold ones. The American "Pathfinder" variation is also represented on here, not that really has a bearing on your issue except that I am pretty sure some of those have "gone North" as it were, so they would have had the same issues in registering them.

Hopefully by tomorrow or the next day, some of our Canadian members will have posted something for you.

How about some pictures of the beast in question? I put a quick guide to posting here- http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=640

John

tpond

Post by tpond »

Where in Ontario are you? I have a Canadian spec Haflinger that I recently bought in Quebec (It is now in the Oregon where I live). It was originally registered in Ontario, and also had problems with the title. In the end, it took 9 months for the Quebec DMV to finally grant a new title and registration. They assigned a DMV engineer to investigate the case. He said that he found that there are three Haflingers currently titled in the whole province: one was fully road registered, one had a speed limited registration, and one was on a non-operable registration.

I am actually in Woodstock, ON at the moment for a work trip. Small world :)
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

I'm in the Greater Toronto Area, the vehicle itself is at the farm I work at in a town called Vaughan.

I'm wondering what the typical details on the registration are and if I could somehow get them to "correct" the one for mine. It also lists it as having 00 cylinders, which I assume has more to do with the ATV designation. The problem is, according to the website for the ministry, I require one of the following documents to change information on the vehicle registration:
Copy of New Vehicle Information Statement
Copy of original manufacturer's invoice
Copy of Bill/Certificate of Sale from original dealer
Copy of original Certificate of Title/Origin
Statement from a vehicle dealer on company letterhead explaining the discrepancy
Original vehicle manufacturer's warranty."

I'm not sure that I can track down any of those. I'm wondering if getting the Wagenstammkarte from Haflinger Technik would help. Dale just quoted me the price as 70 Euros; a lot of money for a paper if I don't need it.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Try group member Haffyhunter, he may be able to help.
RPower

Post by RPower »

I am currently in the process of purchasing 2 '69 Canadian spec Haflingers from a gentleman in Canada, one parts truck and another to restore. He is almost done with the long and arduous process of getting his registration squared away so I can finish my "purchase". He is near Vancouver, but I don't know if they have different requirements or not. I know it's been a headache for him.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

That's a nice pair of projects, well worth the wait :)
tpond

Post by tpond »

I would live to see some pictures.
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

That's exactly my situation. Missing registration, a '64 parts truck and a '72 restoration project. No idea why the parts truck won't run, but the chassis has nearly no solid metal left and the engine, though shiny, won't turn. I guess people in the countryside with a lot of properly didn't bother registering their vehicles properly as they figured they'd never need to.

I'll post some photos too, in the "show and tell" section of the forum, as soon as I get the chance to mess around with digital photo devices.

Tpond, if you remember, what sort of documents did you need to present to get your ownership title from Quebec?
RPower

Post by RPower »

tpond

Post by tpond »

The Ontario title was presented to the DMV in Quebec, it had an error with the Vin number, and the description was odd, but I do not remember what it said. The problem started when the DMV could not find Steyr Puch or Haflinger in the computer system, that is when they got the engineer involved so that he could do an investigation. He was not in a hurry, so it took forever. In the end, he made it all happen, and I now have the title!
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Or.. Use VTs DMV to provide you with a registration and plates, which you can use to title in your home state.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder