Postage Cost from Austria

AustHaflinger

Postage Cost from Austria

Post by AustHaflinger »

Why is shipping costs from Austria so expensive :cry: - even more than the UK. 22.50 € for two carby floats that weight less than 100gms in total.

Is it the sellers ripping us off or is it the Austrian (Euro) mail system?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Re: Postage Cost from Austria

Post by Julian B »

Looking at www.post.at , a 150g small parcel from Austria to Australia costs €19.52. Not sure if that is tracked or not. Using Royal Mail from the UK it would cost £5.05 (approx €6.30) untracked, or double that if tracked. So at first glance it does look as though the Austrian post is indeed quite expensive. But maybe I have missed something?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Probably the standard complaint - everything is over packed, so maybe the floats have been wrapped in bubble wrap, put in an envelope and then put in a cardboard box..... Now weights four times as much, and volume has increased ten times!

Actually, I think it is down to the cost of living in that part of the world. Most business have set postage rates so that they don't have to keep working out a new rate for each post job. The cost of labour to do that task would exceed the value of the goods being sent.

That why I am always amazed at some of the cost of good coming from the far east, free postage and the cost of the item is less than the cost postage, so how do they make any money? Then you get the cheap item which has so much postage cost on it that it become too expensive to buy!

Other than asking if there is a different method for posting the parts to you, I think it would take every customer to complain about the cost of postage before they would change it to anything else as standard.

Like Gary, Grumble, Grumble, grumble, postage costs, grumble, grumble...... :shock: :?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

If the online price finder for post.at is anything to go by I suspect it is not the vendor who is overcharging for postage but the Austrian postal service. Carb floats will inevitably be charged at a volume weight (rather than weight weight) which doesn't help when transporting by air.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thanks - so it looks like it is the postal service. Makes stuff expensive to buy when you have to import the majority of parts. My floats were glued back together last year and I would like a spare set in case they decide to fall apart again.

I might just buy some plastic fuel tank glue instead.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)