Shipping haflinger from sydney to switzerland

Markus
Site Admin

Shipping haflinger from sydney to switzerland

Post by Markus »

Hello all,

I have now been living in Switzerland for over two years and my new year resolution is to get my haflinger, trailer and tools over here.

So..
Does anyone have any tips for container shipping from Australia to Switzerland?
Does anyone have the need to share a 20foot container

I think I should be realistic and expect to ship within 6-8months.

Thanks and Regards,
Markus
pathfinder700ap

Re: Shipping haflinger from sydney to switzerland

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Markus,

good to hear from you and nice Idea to share the container! I just checked and the inner length of a 20" container should be 5.898 m. A Haflinger without bumpers, tow bar etc. should be 2.87 m long, so it might be possible to fit two in a row inside.

When I bought my Haflinger in USA with my dad, the vehicle was packed in a wooden crate and then transported together with other goods. Hence, we didn't pay for the whole container. Here a picture after we had opened the box:
box-web.jpg
Might be an option if you don't find anyone to share the container with.

Cheers,
Constantin
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

I had had to rent an entire container for my Haflinger from Indonesia to Italy ............ ;)

If you need for the arrival and customs clearance in Genoa, I can put you in touch with friends in port.
Attachments
indo.jpg
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

Thanks for the replies,

I think it shouldn't be a problem to fit two haflingers inside a 20ft container. Having one higher than the other would allow them to slide under/over and reducing the overall length. I have now been sent a contact who regularly ships OZ-CH with space to fill, so i might be going for the packed in a big box option...

Other option is drive on drive off, but I'm worried that they cant drive the Haflinger, damage gearbox, cant start... ohh and you cant ship say tools with the vehicle.

There are so many websites dedicated to container shipping but don't respond to quote requests or don't ship this route.

Regards,
Markus
mqh00n

Post by mqh00n »

ive helped ship 6 40ft containers of fj40 landcruisers to Belgium, i could get it to Belgium pretty easy...
Mick Christie