The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Julian B

Re: The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Post by Julian B »

I didn't think the magenta coloured Jeep could get beyond the car park!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Compressed air can also means you don’t get a petrol tsk in your mouth after you have blown the jets clean. Also blowing jets clean is better than sticking something down which can scratch the jet and change it’s value - 107 can become 120 quite easily!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Another monthly club event this Sunday just passed, this one about 20 miles outside Inverness in a scenic moorland area called Whitebridge.

We've being using this bit of land for a while, mostly for trials; this was more of a challenge event where you had to find a dozen canes with different colour pens, drive to them and colour in your scoring sheet against the noted cane number. Lots of scope for free-range driving and friendly competitiveness.

I didn't manage to find all of the markers but was quite happy with the amount of driving, the severity of the tracks and terrain and the fact that the running trouble I had at the last event has disappeared. I suspect that the rubber fuel hose had started disintegrating slightly - I could see black specks in the fuel filter - putting in a new section of hose and replacing the fuel filter has cured the problem.

The only issue that i had on the day was catching the sump-guard on a rock coming off off these rock slabs - it bent up a little but did it's job and kept the engine safe.

Anyway, here's some photos of the terrain and some of the vehicles.

(My young nephew doing what he does best - getting extremely stuck; he's looking for his tow point!)

I think this is where I caught the engine guard. Coming down steep slopes can be quite off-putting until you get used to it!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Tell me about it! Over cab seating is most offputting in such circumstances! The up front seating is brilliant for the task you were doing where you have to get close to a cane / post.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Here are a couple of my favourire photos of the Haflinger I hadback in the seventies. Both are taken at Lake Mountain, near Melbourne. Greats days!!!
Attachments
Lake Mountain, Victoria 1970b.jpg
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Mmmm - only one attached for some reason. Here is the other!
Attachments
Lake Mountain, Victoria 1970a.jpg
Ole

Post by Ole »

Great pictures wojo. Always nice to see a Haflinger doing its thing in the wild.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I bet it does not snow like that there these days. A bit like here in Canberra in the 1930s, we used to get enough snow on the hills to support the Canberra Ski Club on Mt Franklin where now, while it still snows there, it has melted by lunchtime.

Unfortunately Global warming is alive and well.

Some more pics of that same Haflinger from my library.
australia04.jpg
australia06.jpg
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Ole wrote:Great pictures wojo. Always nice to see a Haflinger doing its thing in the wild.
Indeed! - thanks for posting them wojo and Garry.
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

All those are my own photos!! LOL
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Not any more :lol:

Many of them are now part of the TDC Haflinger documents.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Together with all my all brochures and pricelists that I had accumulated which I sent him years ago, never thinking I'd buy one again!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Here's a B&W photo of my JND484 at Mt Disappointment, near Melbourne, in 1969.
Attachments
1969b My Haflinger.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

wojo12 wrote:Together with all my all brochures and pricelists that I had accumulated which I sent him years ago, never thinking I'd buy one again!!
Well being charitable must make you feel good :D

I dont suppose you know where the Haflinger is now?

Pics like the ones you have are a great help to the Haflinger family and provide some interesting background to how they were used, both in the military and for civilian use.

If you have any more, please post them up.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Unfortunately for you, Garry, my RR brochures run from early 1970's to about 1993/94 !

I also have a Series 3 SWB Landy with capstan winch in my yard. Purchased on behalf of a friend in Melb about 2 years ago. Just about ready to push it out in the street now! LOL

Regards

John
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey John,
Noticed that you live at Bundy, If you have time next time you drive to BNE give me a yell and take a short detour at Caloundra as I live at Mt Mellum on the Sunshine Coast.
Regards Rick.
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

mechanical horse wrote:Hey John,
Noticed that you live at Bundy, If you have time next time you drive to BNE give me a yell and take a short detour at Caloundra as I live at Mt Mellum on the Sunshine Coast.
Regards Rick.
Hey, Rick

Great to hear that at least there is one other Hafie owner, I assume, in the same state!!

I'm currently getting a trailer to carry Kaki over longer distances. It will be great to catch up sometime.

Regards

John
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

mechanical horse wrote:Hey John,
Regards Rick.
Rick

My trailer is finished and I'm ready for a road trip, hopefully mid-Jan when is silly season settles down. Hoping to meet up with at least one other Haf, plus a Pinz, at this stage.

I'll PM you you shortly

Keep on Haffing

John

ps Any other Steyr owners reading this, please PM me if you are interested in joining the catch-up.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well, not quite an "Off-Road" picture, more a link to a Youtube video of Lurch partaking in the first trials of 2019. Video is of just one 10 gate section.

https://youtu.be/L7Bx0NdMuE0

For those not familiar with this type of motor sport. The idea is to drive from the starting gate (10) to finishing gate (1), without stopping, reversing (unless you are driving a LWB with no lock, in which case you get one reverse somewhere in the course), or hitting any of the gates (Bamboo cannes with red or white tops). The red one are on the left and the white on the right.

The start of this section had a steep 18 inch drop on the right hand side and everyone else had been going straight on and then turning sharp right to put the drivers side wheel down the drop and then continuing on through the trees. I saw a different line to take, but when it was my turn - there were cars parked to the left of the tree, so I had to go up and round them as well as the tree - and through all the people who were standing there!.

They can put what are called "crossed canes" - like a X to prevent you from doing what I did, in other word forcing you to take a particular part of a section without being able to make it easy for yourself.

As there were no crossed canes preventing me from going a long way round - I did so!

Oh yes, another rule - you are not allowed to cross your own tracks in a section unless the gates are laid out that way. Meaning you can't go through a gate and do a circle in order to line up better for the next gate if that would mean you drove over your tyre tracks to do so.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Well, not quite an "Off-Road" picture, more a link to a Youtube video of Lurch partaking in the first trials of 2019.
''

I think you are telling porkies - the date stamp on the video says 2018 :o
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)