The 'Off-Road' picture thread

heinkeljb

Re: The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Post by heinkeljb »

Sunday just gone (24/7/16) took Lurch to another local Trials. Stopped at Julian's place to collect him and his Haflinger. Only problem was that his Haflinger wouldn't start! Diagnosed to be a cooked coil! That sorted we headed for the Trials and had an enjoyable day even if I didn't do very well on most of the sections I attempted. Video of one where I failed at gate 9 as the side slope was too steep and I ended up having to drive down the slope through the cane marking the gate...
https://youtu.be/uG48vZqvW7s

I did actually manage to clear a section later on in the day, so it wasn't a complete disaster!

John

Edited the clip a bit more.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took Lurch to another trials this last weekend, but this time a night trial - more difficult as very easy to miss gates as I did in both the following clips:-

https://youtu.be/1Zj8vj36Kj8

And here:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmrOe8G ... e=youtu.be

or put a search in Youtube for "Butchers wood August 2016"

Nice bright headlights on Lurch but they have a very straight cut off line which although doesn't shine up a lot does provide light which the camera can not pick up. So I could see better than what is shown in the videos.

Anyway, it was great fun taking part even if I didn't do as well as I could have.

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Should now work if you search for "Butchers wood August 2016" on Youtube.

I think my biggest problem is I am not confident enough in the capabilities of the Haflinger when dealing with side slopes which scare me silly with the thought of rolling the Haf! Straight down is not much better as being a "cab over" design, you go down with the front before anything else and it gives you the feeling of the rear end coming over the top and ending up on your head!

Going straight up is probably the easiest unless you don't make it and then have to reverse back down the hill, especially if there is a bend in you route up!

Any one got any tips?

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - you have more experience than most with the poor sideways stability of the Haffie and indeed any portal equipped vehicle. Fact of life when the C of G of a vehicle with a narrow track is raised - Pinzgauers have the same issue. Something to be aware of and not to be pushed. Really the only way to improve it is to modify the vehicle by widening the track which has been discussed plenty of times here and not really practical.

The other issue you raise about the cab over design is common to all vehicles of the same configuration - my 101 has the same issue. Again to be aware of and take into account when driving.

Hmm Butchers Wood at night - sort reminded me of the movie Deliverance. I thought the music "Duelling Banjos" would have been appropriate for the vid with the occasional squealing piggy in the background - you would have had to have seen the movie to understand. :shock: :? :o
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Nice to see the videos John - I've been given a GoPro so am currently experimenting - once I get the editing software set-up I might post something up.

Meanwhile, here's some more (poor quality) photos from our event this w/e; the wee Haflinger did well, getting to all the places the full-size 4x4's got to. (and not sinking in the clag like the Jeep!)

Edit to fix photos
Last edited by jhon on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Does your lot find it strange that a 40 year old vehicle should be as capable as their 4 / 5 year old chopped about Range Rovers and lifted Jimny's? I'm sure most of the reason I don't do as well as the Haflinger apparently is capable of doing, is because I am too "scared" to attempt some of the bits of section in case I roll the Haflinger and I need to be able to drive it home at the end of the day!

I have a cheap version of the GoPro (from Aldi). The biggest problem is where to mount it. Those two night trials were with the camera setup on the passenger hand rail / gun rail, but I think I actually prefer the images from the camera being setup on then rail between the seats, but it could do with being higher. Maybe I will try and work out a longer drop arm to bring it down from the roll bar. The biggest problem is when you turn the camera on and then set it to record - you can't see the screen to make sure it is working!

Hopefully some more pictures / video's from the next meeting in September sometime.

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

heinkeljb wrote:Does your lot find it strange that a 40 year old vehicle should be as capable as their 4 / 5 year old chopped about Range Rovers and lifted Jimny's?
Well John, at another club event this w/e and the wee Haf struggled a bit where the bigger 4x4's put their treads - yes, I was making no forward progress at that point! (Pretty much wedged against a tree)
No shame in it though, it was only the more extreme lifted and big-tyred Land Rovers that made it up there.

Actually, this next photo I never made it up there either - all 4 wheels spinning on the wet rock (yes, it is as steep as it looks).

It was another good day all in all though!

Edit to fix photos
Last edited by jhon on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

My Haflinger could have done that :lol: :roll:

Great pics as usual - would have loved to have been there :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Trial this weekend and this apparently has a timed hill climb in one section - Poor old Lurch will be last even if we manage it - 4 mph max in crawler! Every one else has at least double the power and some three times the power!

Maybe you should have dropped your tire pressures down to single digits, it does look like you are only touching the rocks with the a small section of thread... Still what do I know!?

Doesn't any body else take their Haf's off road? We need some more pictures.

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

heinkeljb wrote:Poor old Lurch will be last even if we manage it - 4 mph max in crawler!
When faced with these circumstances I just smile and remember the old fable of, 'The Tortoise and the Hare'. ;) Good to see you getting some events in - I find it keeps you involved and engaged with the vehicle a lot more.
heinkeljb wrote:Maybe you should have dropped your tire pressures down to single digits, it does look like you are only touching the rocks with the a small section of thread... Still what do I know!?
You know more than you're giving yourself credit for. :P Well spotted... yes, the tyres were quite firm at that point; normally for soft going they are so grippy that I don't need to air them down below about 22 psi. The advantages of them being at higher pressure are - vastly better on tarmac - and very importantly for the kind of going on Sunday, it maximises the ground clearance available.
There were a lot of rocks hidden in the heather and I didn't want to crunch in to them so thought I'd trade a little off-road grip for height.
If I'd aired them down to below 10psi I might have got up there - next time. ;)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took Lurch to another Trials and here is the easiest section of the day! Managed to clear this section. Also shows some of the competition.

https://youtu.be/qpon3EePSBk

I'll try and remember to park facing the section next time so it records some of the others actually driving the sections. It's all very well having a camera inside, but you don't get to see yourself driving a section very often as you are always driving!

I am sure some of the others would love to see what their vehicle looks like when attempting some of the sections.

John

kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day John .
i make the following comments with the best of intentions , not being smart or nasty .

i noticed your hand inside the steering wheel , including partly steering with your thumb against the spoke .

if you hit a rock , piece of wood , a hidden hole ,
you will most likely be in an aweful lot of pain as the wheel spins around .
possibly breaking bones .

well done for cleaning the section .

cheers
kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - I like where you have your camera positioned - you get to see where you are going and can see what you are doing inside - looks like you were having some fun :D

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I will have to re-think the camera mounting point a bit. The problem is I have it mounted to the rear perspex window of the fibreglass cab fitted to Lurch, using a 3 sucker unit. It nice and strong as far as the suction unit goes, the problem is the fibreglass / perspex wobbles! :oops:
So I had a more stable picture when it was fitted to the passenger grab rail or to the horizontal rail behind the seats. Problem with that mounting was that is was not high enough to really show the ground outside except far away.

So I am looking at making a suitable length arm to fix it from either the top rail of the cab or from the rail just behind the seats to get the camera back into the middle of the cab height wise.

Kerry, I know my thumb slips into the middle of the steering wheel and that it should not! It's a bad habit from the road which is proving hard to break! I do try to remember not to do it as I know it can result in injury.... :oops:

I will also remember one day that you need to let off on the power a bit when you play with the Diff locks / 4 wheel drive levers.

We did that section earlier in the day but it turned left far more sharply just after the first 2 gates, but the Landrover discovery you see waiting at the end of the clip could not make the turn both ways with out a shunt at each and you are only allowed one shut per section if you are in a LWB. I dd ask if Lurch could have a shunt in the sections as he is a LWB - They laughed :lol:

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John I have a full HD dash cam mounted to my windscreen and it gives great quality but the video could be taken from any vehicle and there is really no Haflinger aspect to it. As I indicated where you have it mounted gives a good view outside and inside as well making the video as Haffie specific as is possible.

I would look at improving your mount if you are unhappy with it but it looked Ok in your vid. I bought a cheap selfie stick and am looking at using the phone mount section with a push bike clamp and mounting it on the hood bow behind my head.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Went on another Trial day a couple of weekends ago which had a "punch hunt" on the Saturday. Managed to rip the exhaust system to pieces - a thread about that else where on this forum.
The punch hunt consists of a punch that cuts out bits of paper in a shape or has a number of pins in it that when clicked on your card shows you managed to get to that punch. The card is attached to your vehicle, the punch is attached to a tree with a piece of steel cable, so you have to get the vehicle close enough to the punch to be able to clip your card.

Video link: https://youtu.be/_7ImsLeCGTQ

No real sound because I forgot, the camera is in a waterproof container! Exhaust was obviously loud as I broke it trying to get to the first punch! These are punches 4, 5, and 6.

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

It was the first trial of 2017 today, and to make a change from this time last year when it snowed, the day was clear and bright.

There was a decent turnout with what seemed like a gaggle of Suzuki Jimny's and SJ413's; the little Haffy did well, consistently scoring lower points than the competition. (though that was down to the small footprint and agility than any masterful driving on my part.)

Apologies (again) for the poor quality photos - I trusted this duty to my young nephew and he wasn't used to dealing with such archaic phone technology.

Size matters?
Image[

Awesome articulation (not)

It's not quite as steep as it looks

Mid-section..

Woo-hoo! got some air..

The young team running repairs in the gully..

One of the many Suzuki's
More next month (hopefully)

Edit to fix photos
Last edited by jhon on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

How do you cope with that side slope in the last picture? That's the one thing I hate having to try and do in the Haf. It always seems like it is going to tip over as the is usually some sort of hole on the lower side into which you have to put your front wheel!

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi John - no problems with side slopes during that event at all - my sphincter works very well as an early-warning tool of impending tippingness and at no time was there as much as a tingle.

Since I've had the rims banded to 6" it's felt a lot more stable.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

So another Trails day happened and I took Lurch along. More interesting than other days - I am hoping for some more video taken by others to appear on social media sites as it was one of the highlights of the day (obviously)!

https://www.facebook.com/emma.cornwell. ... 825802818/

Unfortunately, I managed to hit the red 7 cane (going up the second slope) - so going the rest of the section was only to prove it was possible. Didn't like the side slope coming down that bit of hill which is why I was going faster than I might otherwise have done this section. Hoping to use centrifugal force to hold Lurch against the ground!

Recovered using a strap connected to a, I think a Jeep, after being put more upright by half a dozen people all trying to prevent it falling over further.

Had another scare earlier going over and down a steep slope where I had a couple of lads hanging off the back to stop Lurch from going ass of tit! Hoping there is some video of that.

John

Was also shown this:- https://www.facebook.com/geachy777/vide ... 458048113/
VW1.6 engine