The 'Off-Road' picture thread

heinkeljb

Re: The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Post by heinkeljb »

Date stamp provided by the Go-Pro clone just goes to show when it was last used. I didn’t check it before using is this year.
Actually, come to think of it, my 3 1/2 year old grandson, Joshua, was using it and took something like a 100 photos using it. Maybe he reset the time and date? Feeble excuse, but who know what a modern 3 1/2 year old is capable of doing! He can use an IPAD and the X-Box, TV.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looks like a lot of fun though :D
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just so people don't get lulled into thinking Haflinger's are only good for the road now that they are all old and shouldn't be subjected to the terrain they were designed for. Here is another clip of a 10 gate trails section I was at last weekend. I got stuck climbing up a bank and then going across some ruts created by previous people off roading in their bigger wider (Land Rover mainly) vehicles. The width of those ruts is the same as the wheelbase of a LWB Haflinger. So you can end up with front axle wheels in one line of ruts and the rear axle wheels in the other line. Not easy to get out of even with front and rear lockers in!

https://youtu.be/MvrZC6phWE4

Still I was the only one caught out on that section.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hmmm John - you might want check that vid again - 10 mins of the vehicle just sitting there and in the last few seconds an old bloke getting into the drivers seat. :roll:

I resisted the urge to put some smart comments on You Tube. :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well that was a crock!

Try this link instead....

https://youtu.be/MvrZC6phWE4

Now I have to try and find out how to remove the other one!

Thanks for the feedback Gary!!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

That old bloke is still in there though :lol:

Maybe you need to put some ATV mud terrain tyres on for these events :)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Mayola's on the back, Semprit Universal grip's on the front. So when they wear out I shall have to think of something different to put on. There are various other "Offroad" tyres available in 13 and 14 inch - so would need to get new rims as well. Could try to squeeze some ATV tyres on the 12 inch standard rims, but most of what I have seen have been for wider rims than the 3.5 standard rims, So the tyres would end up being very round and have to be run at very low pressures to get anywhere the proper shape. Then you run the risk of them peeling off the rims when you have Lockers on going round corners....

Whilst the "original" type tyres are still available, I think I will stick to those - Then I can claim "All standard" when I manage to clear sections and blame "All Standard" when I don't!! - see win, win situation!

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Went to a trials day the other weekend, only Haflinger there, so up against Landrovers, the odd altered Jimny and purpose built specials. Standard problem of when you are driving you can't take pictures of your own vehicle, so have to rely on pictures taken by others!
So some shown below:-
Approching the lip.JPG
Up the lip.JPG
More in the next post.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

More:-
Down and round 1.JPG[/attachment [attachment=5]Down and round 2.JPG
Down and round 3.JPG
Down and round 4.JPG
And another section:-
Up the hill 1.JPG
Up the hill 2.JPG
Up the hill 3.JPG
I'll see if I can get the bit of video one of the guys posted.

John
Attachments
Down and round 2.JPG
Down and round 1.JPG

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Web site seems to have loaded the sequence of Lurch going down and round wrong! Not quite sure what happened there, must be due to putting too many pictures in one post one after the other! Anyway, you can work it out !!!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Web site seems to have loaded the sequence of Lurch going down and round wrong! Not quite sure what happened there, must be due to putting too many pictures in one post one after the other! Anyway, you can work it out !!!

John
You need to check where your computer cursor is in your post before you hit "insert inline".

A shame you were in the trees - looks very dark but I assume it was about to rain :lol:

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

I enjoyed seeing your photos John; although in regular use, mine hasn't seen much off-road this year as I've been busy with a building project, will hopefully get back in the dirt soon.

Cheers

john
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sorry, I have no control of the camera setting of other people's cameras, It was actually a nice day so the photos should be good. Maybe they were standing in the wrong place and the camera didn't like the shadow?

I am pretty sure I put the cursor in the correct place, but maybe not....

Still looking for the video where I nearly rolled Lurch down a slope... the series of pictures of Lurch going up the hill was a section which we ran going the other way. It has a steep, bumpy rocky slope to go up. I think my tyres were a little to hard for that particular part of the section as it bumped / jumped sideways and left Lurch sideways on the slope.....

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

Today was my first trial since Covid; our local 4WDC club was on the brink of falling apart, so it was nice to see a turnout of about 25 vehicles. Per usual there were eight sections, all varied, a couple of deep water ones, one of which I avoided completely as I was sure that the Haflinger would have cut-out half way through, and I hadn't brought my Wellies.
This was held just South of Newtonmore, about 40 miles from Inverness - the weather was changeable, some sun and a few showers.

Anyway, as this a picture thread, here's some photos.

Me wondering why I'd come to a halt.

Here's some of the competition..

My son in his bobtail RR

This was the section I ducked out of.

Upon landing he broke his front propshaft

It was a good day, hopefully another event next month.

Cheers

John
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Very similar compertion to the ones I get at the variour Trials I go to. Not sure if or when it will happen again as like yours, the club seems to have ground to a halt. Mostly due to the one organiser having been made redundant from his job. So I be looking around to see if there are any other clubs locally.
Most offroad I can do at the moment are the local "Green lanes" - not that we have many local to me. Best one is about 5 miles long, but all the others are proably less than a mile and some only few hundred yards.

John

robw

Post by robw »

Bit of fun this weekend. re-discovered how much fun haffys are in the snow but also found out just how bad they are at recovering 2.5tons of modern 4wd from a snowdrift - a total waste of time as the weight differential is just too great. Much shoveling and cursing required but job done eventually
Attachments
IMG-20230310-WA0018 (002).jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Great stuff - more pics???
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Some from the last trial I did, won it as well! Against pre '84 leaf sprung Landrovers.
The Oposition
The Oposition
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1500.JPEG
John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hey John that is great - you may have done even better if you didn't your house on the back :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Keeps most of the rain of the bed whilst Lurch lives outside. Tried it with the tarp flat across the back, but that just makes pools of water in the middle. So a light weight "A" frame means the water runs off. Still have to figure out how to seal it up against the fibre glass cab. Also how to keep it tight along the sides, bungy cords die due to UV exposure. Maybe I need to try some wide Velcro type straps?

John