The 'Off-Road' picture thread

AustHaflinger

Re: The 'Off-Road' picture thread

Post by AustHaflinger »

Those 101 Ambulances are just too big, fat and heavy as well as being top heavy.

It looks too cold for me where you are.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

garrycol wrote: It looks too cold for me where you are.
Well, yesterday the weather was quite pleasant - still not what you would call warm (about 8 deg C) but there was plenty of sunlight and it stayed dry! The days are getting longer too - it doesn't get dark until about 6.15pm which means we can get home and the vehicles unloaded and cleaned in the daylight - it all makes a big difference.

Yesterday's trial was held close to Nairn - a seaside town on the Moray Firth about 15 miles from Inverness; there was a decent turnout with 17 vehicles in the RTV class and 5 in the 'open' class.

The photos below are of a fellow club member Frank's Haflinger - his daughter and grandson were both driving and they both did well (better than me on some sections!). I've posted a couple of the other vehicles as well, that might be of interest to some of you.

Cheers,

John

Edit to sort photos.
Last edited by jhon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Looks like great weather and a lot of fun!
Was the haflinger really able to cross that mud hole?!

Also, does it have deeper than average rear seat wells? And are those rear seat belts in the back?
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Yakov wrote:Also, does it have deeper than average rear seat wells?
AIUI all LWB Hafs have the deeper rear footwells (when compared to SWB Hafs)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

LWB Haf's have deeper footwells as mentioned. I think it is because they can have 4 people sitting in the back and they all need some where to put their feet - actually, that doesn't really make sense because the lids are different sizes but that should have no bearing on the depth of the box.... Unless it was realised that most people do not want to sit with their knees up near their teeth!
In which case why didn't they make the foot wells deeper on the SWB version once they had made the deeper ones for the LWB?

So sorry, can't provide a real reason as to why, just that they are!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Yakov wrote: Was the haflinger really able to cross that mud hole?!
Well... it did, sort-of; :lol: The third photo down shows it just as it came out of the hole, spluttering, then eventually died - water had got in about the distributor and the plug leads. Not a major problem - it cleared enough to eventually limp to the end of the section. (I used a little more discretion and kept mostly out of the water - I picked up a couple of penalty points for missing the gate but was happy not to have the engine bay and the hubs/drums full of muddy clag.)
Yakov wrote:Also, does it have deeper than average rear seat wells? And are those rear seat belts in the back?
Not sure about the footwells! (mine doesn't have them) - however John & Julian seem to know.

No, it's not rear seatbelts that you see - I think it's webbing straps providing support for the makeshift canvas roof.
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Ahh, I was wondering if that was one of those LWB-SWB differences.

Yeah, drums full of mud becomes all the more awful when they freeze solid! Learned the clean-after-you-play lesson the hard way. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why the engine ran but the car wouldn't budge.

Are there any tricks to drying the ignition system in the field?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Drying out ignition systems depends on how long you have, how creative you want to be!

Several dry clean strips of cloth to start with - Then which every variation of WD40 / GT80 / DUCK OIL (water dispersant) you can get hold of, followed by:-

Very useful item to carry in your tool kit - a can of compressed air - well some gas compressed as they are usually labelled as flammable. Use it to blow the inside of the distributor clean and dry, Use it to clean the jets out with out having to stick things down the holes, Use it to clean the plugs when they get oiled up if you have the plastic pipe extension.

Usually at this point, all of the ignition system seems to remain damp, probably because it's cold so some method of warming everything up would help a lot. Blow torch probably isn't a good idea unless you can keep the flame a long distance from the engine and just channel the hot air into the engine bay!

So getting creative, how about having a suitable piece of hose pipe you can stick on some other vehicles exhaust and pipe warm / hot exhaust gas into the engine bay to warm things up? :ugeek: :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Love the pics - I wish we could do that here - my 4wd club is only interested in going on 4 week, 10,000km trips across the country - no local daily stuff.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

Here's another short report and a few varied photos from our monthly trial; this one took place close to the village of Tomatin just outside Inverness. For those of you that like a dram, Tomatin has a large distillery which produces a tasty single malt.

This is a varied site with a bit of pretty much everything, except rock slab.

Making my way down to the first section.

The competition! (Frank the owner was co-driving with his young nephew Ross)

It was pretty much drowned here - I was in the same position just before him. Oh, the indignity of having to be recovered!

Dealing with the aftermath - drowned ignition, water in the carb and oil bath filter, and blocked jets.

This was quite a steep downhill section - the crawler gear and low weight were real advantages.

It wasn't just the Haflingers that got stuck.

Guess what this driver does for a living? No kidding ...he's a pilot.

I don't think I'll be competing in the trial next month - it's in the hills above Invergordon and is mostly bottomless peat bog; time to catch-up on some maintenance chores.

John

Edit to sort photos
Last edited by jhon on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day . i may not put this in the best . or polite words .
it scares the shit out of me when i see people doing a recovery using a tow ball as an attatchment point .
they are not designed for huge loads .

there have been a number of deaths and injuries from using a tow ball .
please use correct / rated recovery points .

if you think i am wrong , do some research .
if i offend you . i do not care ,if it saves your life . or serious injury .

cheers
kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
jhon

Post by jhon »

No offense taken Kerry - wise words.

I'll keep any eye on the young members in the club and remind them of the dangers.

Cheers,

John
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

thank you John .

a lot of people do not realise how much force can be exerted in a recovery .

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

OK, I'll bite. I have to say that I wouldn't have known not to use the tow ball. :oops: (But at least I will now!)

Have to say that I am surprised to learn about this though. Does this also go for "modern" cars where the tow bar is, by law, purpose built / designed to fit the specific chassis, and is bolted to the chassis in an approved manner?

If trying to pull a Haflinger out of a mud hole what else is there to attach a rope to? A half axle?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

take the tow ball out of the coupling .
put the largest rated bow shackle into its place .
and attatch to it
may not be perfect , but a bloody big amount better than a tow ball.

it is late , so i am tired .
kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi Kerry and Julian, just putting in my two penneth, Kerry good Idea about taking the towball out and replacing with a shackle, however a lot of towballs ( not tow bars ) are fixed with 2 bolts and not removable, so in this case a purpose fixed recover eye would be the answer, Julian, looking at Kerrys last post it is the towball rather than the towbar that he says don't use for recovery, also most modern cars have a towing eye that is removable and screws into a fitting on the front of the vehicle. however this is only for towing a broken down vehicle on the road and is NOT designed for pulling the vehicle out of mud, bog holes etc Regards Pete
Last edited by woodman on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

Gary . you have made the point so much better than i did .

thankyou .

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
woodman

Post by woodman »

garrycol, thanks for the posting, If any one has ever used a towball for recovery then please watch garrycols attachments, as he says the last one is very, very graphic. Pete
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Decided not to watch the last one - too much of a wimp - but have learnt a lesson through this thread. So thank you very much.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK