One method of filling the gearbox oil

heinkeljb

One method of filling the gearbox oil

Post by heinkeljb »

I have been doing various bit and pieces to Lurch in the build up to have the annual MOT and then the long road trip and back to the Dutch Treffen in May.

As part and parcel of having changed the front drive shaft oil seal the other weekend, I did an oil change on the engine and also the gearbox.
Draining the oil is not the problem, even if you have to empty oil out of the bottom of the spin on filter (there's not a lot of room to get at the drain bolt if you leave the sump / bash guard in place)!

Draining the gearbox isn't difficult either, unless the tubes on you sump / bash guard are bent - the one that was on Lurch when purchased was so bent you couldn't get to the drain bolt with it in place. The problem as most of you will know is re-filling the gearbox - the oil filler is on the side of the gearbox casing and with the heat exchangers fitted the space is a bit awkward to say the least...

I have previously put the gearbox oil containers into a bucket of hot water and left them for 10 minutes to warm up then lying on your back, wiggle the nozzle into the hole and squeeze the containers. Not easy! Therefore this time round I came up with the following method:-

Put gearbox oil containers into bucket of hot water - makes the oil flow better.
Gearbox oil filler.jpg
Cut the end of an old gearbox oil container and attach to the side of the Haflinger. Cut a suitable length of garden hose, put the two bits together as per the picture.
Other end goes like so:-
hose pipe into gearboxx.jpg
End goes into filler hole. Oil catch container positioned carefully underneath.

Now all you have to do is pour the gearbox oil into the "funnel" on the side of the Haflinger, when you have put a litre and a half in, you start watching the filler hole for the overflow - pouring small amounts in and waiting for it to drain into the gearbox means you can catch it just as it starts to overflow and not waste too much oil in to the container underneath.

What do you lot think?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: One method of filling the gearbox oil

Post by AustHaflinger »

I just use one of these - no mess and easy to use - just pump it in.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have one of those, but it's a lot of "pumping" to put 1.75 ~ 1.9 litres in to the rear Diff / gearbox. It only pumps about 2 ~ 3cc at a time!
I use it for topping up the levels and it works really well for that.
The system I used allowed me to pour a whole litre in to the "funnel" and then just wait as it drained in to the Diff / Gearbox.

I am sure there are other systems one can use.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I have one of those, but it's a lot of "pumping" to put 1.75 ~ 1.9 litres in to the rear Diff / gearbox. It only pumps about 2 ~ 3cc at a time!
Builds up your muscles - the one I have pumps a lot more than that - I use it on all my vehicles - filling a 101 gearbox or transfer case is slow but works OK.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

My pump puts out 10 oz per pump, everything fills fast. But a good make shift method.