I just bought my 3rd haffy

mqh00n

I just bought my 3rd haffy

Post by mqh00n »

Just picked this up from Mudgee, Nsw Australia
The main problem is the rear diff is locked, not the centre, I can spin the wheel and the other side turns backward through the spider gears in the diff, but possibly crown wheel and pinion seized?
All gears select fine, engine turns over, pto engages and can turn the pto pulley over and move engine through gearbox mainshaft.
Diff lock lever feels like it selects fine, can't turn either when selected as you expect if pinion is seized.

I tried to tow it but one wheel will always turn backward.

Anyone have any ideas out there before I start stripping the thing?
Attachments
image.jpg
AustHaflinger

Re: I just bought my 3rd haffy

Post by AustHaflinger »

You get around - Berridale and Mudgee all in one weekend. ;)

If you engage 4wd and the same happens with the front wheels then your hypothesis is probably correct as the locked rear pinion and crown should also prevent drive going to the front.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
mqh00n

Post by mqh00n »

Yes we tried putting it into 4wd and locked the lot up, I guess it's time to strip it down.
I got it from Mudgee the weekend before!
mqh00n

Post by mqh00n »

I Got the engine started, very smokey, has been sitting for 10 years or more not running.
Engine stalls as soon as its put in gear as gearbox or diff is still seized.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Sounds like the engine should come out along with the rear transmission - fixing things would be easier with more access!
Great that the engine runs... Make sure you check it for oil leaks, as all the oil seals are likely to have taken a "set" and might not regain their original shape.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
mqh00n

Post by mqh00n »

Gearbox and diff unseized, just needed a few turns backward and forward in gear with a breaker bar on the crank nut, it has been sitting for 10 years so the oil probably dried out somewhere. New oils going in now.

I have it listed on ebay if anyone is interested.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Haflinger-70 ... 1855904606?