Lurch in need of a transplant

heinkeljb

Lurch in need of a transplant

Post by heinkeljb »

Last Treffen Lurch went to, the Cotwolds one, resulted in A: one puncture - first one I have had taking Lurch anywhere. B: Loss of power, engine still ran, but was definately down on power and also sprung an oil leak(s). As you know, oil leak very rarely get better by themselves. So Lurch's oil leaks have been getting worse and as I had a couple of days off, I decide to do an engine swap for the "original" engine. I say "original" in that it was the engine that was in Lurch when I bought the Haflinger. Some of you may remember, it broke the crankshaft. It was rebuilt with a replacement crankshaft by Alf.
In the mean time I had a "big bore" engine, again built by Alf installed so I could continue to use Lurch. This is the engine that has sprung a couple of leaks and is down on power - my guess is rings have stuck in the groves of a piston and so it has been pressurising the crankcase.
Engine swap
Engine swap
The engine on the left is the "original" one and hte engine on the right is the "big bore" (700cc) one. Engine is now back in place and I still have to swap various bit over from one engine to the other as I don't have quite enough bit to have two "complete" engines with all ancillaries connected that I can just swap in and out.

Of course, whilst doing the swap, discovered various things that have to be mended before they can be put back on, like some holes in the Carb preheat pipe. Also need to clean the commutator on the Dynastart before it is put back on.

One thing which I will have to read up on is how to swap the Distributor over from one engine to the other correctly. I assume if I time up the "big bore" cylinder no: 1 to TDC, then remove the distributor and time up cylinder no: 1 on the "original" engine, I should be able to just to slip the distributor straight in and it should be more or less in the correct position to work.

Once the engine is back up and running I can turn my attention to cleaning and checking the "dead" engine - It's still pretty mucky under all the tin work even though I did a clean before taking it out!!

Why do we end up doing rebuilds during the winter when it is cold and wet?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Re: Lurch in need of a transplant

Post by jhon »

Good luck with the transplant John, will be following your exploratory check of the big-bore engine with interest.

Touch wood - apart from the minor issue of my timing going out recently, I've been fairly trouble-free.

Cheers!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The weather has gotten the better of me getting Lurch back together along with Work. Hopefully I will have some more time during the weekend to put some more things back on.
Vague list of things still to do; Carb/manifold, Dynastart, Distributor, Exhaust system - this is probably a good time to redesign the exhaust system as the original system came with the heat exhanger system and it is not being used. So removal of them will mean different pipes from the exhaust manifolds to a silencer.
Still trying to think up a route for the pipes as obviously the best route would mean same lenght pipes from each cylinder, but if I want it as a two in to one system, then right hand side one is going to be shorter unless I put lots of bends in! My thoughts are to make both pipes go up and over the gearbox where the heat exchangers are and join in a "Y" which can then exit at platform level on the right hand side just behind the footwell.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - I hope this all goes well - after two engine rebuilds I know what a pain it can be.

If you are going to do away with your exhaust heating system why not just install the standard non heating system. Exhaust from passenger cylinder runs across under the engine an joins a short pipe from the driver side into one pipe and into the muffler which sits vertically between the rear wheel and the chassis with the out let at the bottom and then out the rear.
P3190001 (2).JPG
P3190006.JPG
P3190002.JPG
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Or you could run 2 seperate mufflers, as mine was before I changed it to the original design
on the rebuild.
You can just see them in the photos.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_1296.jpg
117.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Obviously the designer(s) put some thought and testing into the exhaust system layout. Being old school, I was educated to believe that the two exhaust pipes would work better if they were the same length. The Haflinger's two variations of exhaust system, heating and non-heating both suffer from unequal length pipes.The balance pipe / Carb Heating pipe has exhaust gas directed from the wrong cylinder to help with evening out the difference in pipe length.
The cost of purchasing the required bits for a non-heating system compared to purchasing the bits I need to cobble together my idea for the system, means I will try my variation first and if it doesn't work, then I will look at purchasing original style parts.

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

What with Bonfire night in Lewes on saturday which basically shuts the town down along with the rain, I haven't had a chance to carry out any further work on Lurch. So I have two engines in a state of dismantlement out in the weather (yes, they are covered up, but still out in the damp). Maybe, I'll get a chance this comming weekend at least to get the engine in Lurch up and running.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

So did you consider putting Lurch on the bonfire?? :o

I think you will find the standard exhaust is tuned with the passenger side being a tuned multiple of the shorter drivers side.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)