Is it getting cold where you are?

AustHaflinger

Is it getting cold where you are?

Post by AustHaflinger »

Is it get cold where you are??

Cause it is getting hot here :)

2015 is the hottest year on record here, though winter was one of the coldest. Took the Haffie for a run today - outside temp was 38°c and the temp inside was 34°c. These are middle of summer temps and we are still only in late spring. The front vents were open and it didn't make much difference, in fact made it hotter inside. Choke not needed on days like today but I don't think Haffie engines like the heat irrespective of what the experts say. At the moment I have no way of measuring engine temp but oil pressure drops from 60 to 50 psi when outside temps are above about 35 so the little engine must suffer a bit.

I have mentioned it before but at some stage I am going to put in an oil temp gauge or an engine metal temp gauge to monitor temps as all the issues I have had have been in the summer time - I certainly drive it in a more relaxed manner this time of year (below 4000rpm) to keep internal engine temps down.

So just think when you are at home freezing your what nots off and shovelling snow - us people on the other side of the world will be getting frazzed under a hot UV laden Sun (for the Brits that is the yellow thing in the sky that you manage to see a few days each year :lol:).

:)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Yakov

Re: Is it getting cold where you are?

Post by Yakov »

It's still pretty warm and sunny here in my part of Canada, around 14C this week.

But when I do get cold and the Haflinger is around, I put my hands on the valve covers: they're the right shape and temperature to warm my hands. :roll: It's best to turn the engine off when warming frozen, fumbly fingers though, as the fan blade is quite mean and cuts mercilessly. Nearly lost a finger one snowy day last month, fumbling for the catch to open the engine top cover. I can't be the only one who's done this... :|
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

14 and driving a topless Hafi = freakin cold!
I only know this because of my driving 2 years ago to storage - poor thing is now just a pile of parts.
I need the whole summer off, perhaps then I could get it finished and I could get it back on the road/trail
Enjoy the heat Garry :)
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yakov wrote:Nearly lost a finger one snowy day last month, fumbling for the catch to open the engine top cover. I can't be the only one who's done this... :|
Yep been there done that - hurts the fingers if they stay connected to your hand :? .

Like North America increasing temps mean bush fires - already had a few big ones this week resulting in three European back packers getting killed (Brit, German, Norwegian) trying to rescue a horse and a local farmer getting killed trying to rescue the backpackers.

If I hadn't bought my Haffie when I did it would have been burnt in major fires in Tasmania in early 2013 as the house and garage it used to live in got burnt down and the previous owner lost everything he had except for his G Wagen everyday driver. So my Haffie was lucky.

Fires are the biggest downside to our nice hot summers. Enjoy your winter.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)