Engine sound with and without fan cover

Yakov

Engine sound with and without fan cover

Post by Yakov »

This probably sounds like a silly question for those who have seen more than one Haflinger in their day, but I've only ever seen one, and it is far from perfect, so I have to ask all sorts of silly questions to make up for the lack of Haffie experience.

My question today is this: is it supposed to sound more shrill and whiny when the fan cover is off? Or is it just a worn bearing in the dynastart fan that I can hear better when the cover is removed?
heinkeljb

Re: Engine sound with and without fan cover

Post by heinkeljb »

The fan cover will take away some of the noise you hear by the fact the air is being forced to go down over the barrels.

Not really a good idea to run the engine for more than a couple of minutes with out the cover as barrels do get hot quite quickly.

The Dynastart could well sound more "shrill" without the cover and that could be down to brushes, but as you say depending on the noise could also be bearings. One of the two I have taken apart, the first one had "sealed for life" bearings and the second had been modified to have a grease nipple put in to feed the rear bearing. Both felt smooth when being turned by hand, but when I sent them off to be reconditioned, they told me one of the front bearings was turning in the mounting at higher speeds, so they replaced it and glued it in with locktight.

Seems to work well!

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

In my experience the sound is basically the same in both scenarios but with the the covers on it is just a little more muffled and subdued.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Remove the belt, check for shaft play , feel for roughness while rotating fan by hand.
If bearings are bad change them, if you need brushes, use VW 6v starter brushes.
(about $14US)
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Thanks for the responses!
I now feel I have reason to believe something might not quite be right. I only run the engine without the cover when setting the idle. I've seen how hot it gets, and what a difference clean engine tin on the cylinders makes.

I will check these things the next time I'm working on it.
I have checked the brushes before, but other than how much of them was left, I'm not sure what else to look for. Is there anything to look for on them?
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day , an industrial stethoscope is very usefull for finding bearing noise .
or a through tang screwdriver works well .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It's never going to be easy to describe a noise and for some one else to definitively be able to say whether it is right or wrong, but from your description, other than checking the bearings for wear / roughness and checking the brushes to ensure they move nicely in the holders and are not too short. That the surface they touch on the commutator is smooth and not horribly ridged , I don't think there can be very much else that is wrong.

Some engine just are nosier than others - but work perfectly well.

I take it the charging system appears to work correctly? The use of an ammeter and voltmeter would verify the actual values whereas the charge light can hide a multitude of weak / non-charge situations.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

If you have an iPhone or similar, take an "audio note" / recording of the noise and upload it; I did this once with a friend and it proved invaluable.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

It turned out that two of my fan blades were bent out of shape! :oops:
I feel dumb.
The machine sounds great now that they've been straightened out.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

One of the reasons why I said it was always going to be difficult to diagnose " a noise" from a description! I am glad you found the reason and were able to correct it.

Well done.

John