What's your Haflinger getting for Christmas?

heinkeljb

What's your Haflinger getting for Christmas?

Post by heinkeljb »

I can't decide what to get lurch for Christmas, There are just some many things;

The transmission really ought to be taken out and probably some bearings replaced as there is a lot of noise which others do not seem to have.
The brakes probably need cleaning / adjusting / replacement.
The rear seats need to sorted.
A canopy needs to be manufactured from scratch as Lurch only has a fibreglass front cabin canopy and if I deal with the rear seats, then it would be nice for everyone to be under the same roof rather than in two separate sections.
The spare dynastart needs refurbishing.
A new battery box wouldn't go amiss either as the current one is a wooden construction produced before I purchased Lurch.
The front parking lights need to be replaced as the LED's which I put in that claimed to be waterproof are obviously not.

This is the short list = like most, I am sure, there is a long list in the background of things to do!

John

P.S. Merry Christmas and Happy new year to all!
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: What's your Haflinger getting for Christmas?

Post by Julian B »

My advice would be to prioritise safety (MOT items), reliability, comfort and aesthetics (in that order). So do the brakes first, transmission (& maybe dynastarter) next, then rear seats, then rear canopy and finally the battery box. Assuming costs and funds match at any one time.

Happy Christmas to you too, John :)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

I agree, MOT items get done first. The list was not in any particular order, just some of the things I could think of at the time. It was more a "after the essentials" what other stuff is there to do.

I am sure lots of other people also have similar "lists" of things and Christmas seems like the time of year when people buy all those "non-essential" nice things to have...

So what are you going to buy for yours?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I do have a fairly major project lined up - to strip down and try to bring a 1970 LWB rolling gear & gearbox etc back from the dead (doubt it has turned for 20 years or so), but I now realise that I can't get to it. It is in a barn on top of a farm trailer and the ground is so wet that the tractor will sink up to the axles. May need to wait until the Spring :(

When done I would like to re-mate it to my 1970 body - the two halves were originally one, and somebody somewhere sometime and for some reason split apart.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

If you want I'll visit with Lurch and we can drag it off the trailer on to the back of lurch with a winch and then drive it round to the garage. I can bring a couple of scaffold boards to provide suitable ramps.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks John - the trailer headboard (fixed) means that I can't drag it off; when I can get the trailer out of the shed I can then use the front loader to lift the Haf bits off very easily ... so the project will just have to wait. Should have planned ahead !!!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK