Do you have a Tubby Haffie?

AustHaflinger

Do you have a Tubby Haffie?

Post by AustHaflinger »

According to the Haffie spec sheet, the Tare weight is supposed to be 635kg for a 700 series. I assume that is road running spec - all oiled up, minimal fuel load, no load, tools and jack and no driver.

So I had to take an old battery to the tip for recycling and to get in you drive over a weigh bridge. Came in at 950kg.

So starting at this weight I worked backwards to find my Haffies real Tare weight:

950kg less the battery weighing 35kg = 915kg
915kg less the jerry can with fuel weighing 19kg = 896kg
896kg less about 20 litres of fuel in the tank (leaves about 5 in there) 15kg = 881kg
881kg less the 75kg driver (oh ok the 115kg driver :lol: ) = 766 kg
766kg less say 10kg for miscellaneous items such as fire extinguisher, fuel gauge, tach, GPS etc = 756kg

So the tare weight of my Haffie comes in at about 750kg - where is the extra weight (115kg) compared to the book figure of 635kg??

I have 14" wheels and tyres but they are alloy so probably work out about as the steel 12" rims.

So is your Haffie as tubby as mine??

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Re: Do you have a Tubby Haffie?

Post by Julian B »

I have never had mine weighed, but maybe all the additional "extras" such as sideboards, tow bar, roof hoops, spare tyre, canvas etc are excluded from their original Tare weight?

My trailer is fairly tight weight carrying-wise ... Hmmmmm :oops: :oops: :oops:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I had Lurch weighed in a similar set of circumstances and was told 810Kg but I didn't bother to try and work out what all the extra items were along with their weights. The other point is that Lurch is a 703 which I think has a different tare weight.

I might try next time I take stuff down to sell to the scrap merchant, I'll empty Lurch as much as I can and get it on their weigh bridge.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Our definition of Tare Weight

"Tare Mass or Weight

This is the weight of an empty standard vehicle with all of its fluids (oils, coolants) but with only 10 litres of fuel in the tank. We assume 10 litres was chosen as an industry standard to allow otherwise empty vehicles to be driven to and from a weighbridge."

So what is a standard vehicle (haffy)? I guess this should include standard fitments such as hood bows and hood (I assume this is standard) and the spare and jack and tools - however I didn't think about sideboards and even doors - I believe these are classed as accessories.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Looking at some old Price Lists optional extras it is amazing what was not included in the Basic Vehicle, so it could well be that all of them are excluded from the basic tare.

Short or long canvas (plus presumably hoops for long canvas?)
Polycab
Body sides
Rear seats (whether 2 or 4)
PTO
Winch
Tow bar & ball hitch
Heater
Bridging ladders

Not sure about the doors - but perhaps included with the canvases so excluded from the basic tare?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I agree, basic Haflinger would probably be just the platform with the hoop behind the seats and the stays to the windscreen and virtually nothing else!
I wonder if the spare wheel would also have been considered an optional extra!?

Julian, didn't you weigh your green Haf when you did the refurb?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

No, I didn't.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

pinzmeister

Post by pinzmeister »

We bought a brand new Haf in 1972 and the base vehicle was platform, windscreen and two seats, everything else hood, doors, heater, even the fuel gauge was optional. Every vehicle was spec'd up to the customers individual requirements.
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Gary,
I intend to weigh mine as it goes back together. The rolling chassis is nearly done so that will be first to be done. No good taking it down to the local scrap metal bloke as his scales all weigh about 20% light. The local chook farm has got a weigh bridge so it will go there. As long as the weight I get doesn't say 1 Haffie equals 15000 chooks or something.
Maybe the next time you go down to where the weigh bridge is, you take a decent size object that you know the exact weight of and check their scales for accuracy. They may be way to heavy to start with. 115 Kg is a lot of difference somewhere. Just a thought, when they pumped your tyres up when you got the mag wheels, did they put cold air in or hot air, cause cold air is heavier than hot air.
Regards Rick.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Mine weighed 1460lbs(662.24Kg) with stock rims without top and no rear seats (72 Bug Eye AP700)