Haflingers hard at work

jhon

Haflingers hard at work

Post by jhon »

It’s great to have the wee truck for utility duties around the place and thought I’d post up some photos of what it sometimes gets used for.
Feel free to share your own. (Could be anything - even transporting the shopping!)

Shifting roofing panels for a new garage/workshop (I only moved them 100m or so)

It makes a great platform for loading them on to the roof

Moving excess timber around

Shifting stones for gateway pillars I was building

Clearing scrub
Last edited by jhon on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:29 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Julian B

Re: Haflingers hard at work

Post by Julian B »

That last one reminded me of mine recently :D
Attachments
a.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I had to use Lurch to go and buy a 12 foot christmas tree for work and take it 16 miles into work last year, which got some strange looks from people as i drove past.

Lurch also had to take rubbish to the tip, carry garden furniture, various other odd shaped bulky items that won't fit in a car.

No pictures I'm afraid.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Yakov

Post by Yakov »

Before I took mine completely apart last winter, I looked for every excuse to use it around the farm. Things like collecting weeds from a strawberry field, checking hayfield conditions, and delivering hay to horses in not so distant paddocks. There was also horse fence repair runs and maple sap collection (with a couple 55 gallon drums in the back). Can't find my photos of those though.
Attachments
sophie running haflinger.jpg
haflinger hay delivery4.jpg
haflinger hay delivery.jpg
strawberry weeding
strawberry weeding
jhon

Post by jhon »

Nice to hear some stories and see some pictures of how we use our vehicles! I do like to see them being used.

It was a beast of burden again this weekend - I had to shift an old shipping container to its new location up by the new garage; it's in quite a horrible condition actually, the roof and the sides leak. Anyway, I'm going to put a 'new' roof on it and clad the sides with timber that I reclaimed from some old field shelters. The Haf was ideal for transporting that stuff about.

jhon

Post by jhon »

More firewood duties this past weekend. I managed to coerce my daughter in to giving me a hand by letting her do the driving - she was mightily impressed with her own driving in the rough, boggy stuff at the end of the track (I didn't have the heart to tell her it was my discrete and judicious use of the diff-locks that made her look so capable!).

It was a fun day - decent weather too for this time of year.

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hmm - that is a good lookin sort ;) - the Haf that is :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Tell me more about your drivers side (possibly passenger too? but can't see it) entry addition/protection/re enforcement?
Is the horizontal lip to stop mud/water from spraying up (I see it on the rear too but just a guess)?
Thx
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
jhon

Post by jhon »

Thanks Garry - yes, both looking fine (and both behaving)! ;)

Dan - the reinforcement that you see at the driver and passenger entrance is a piece of stainless steel 'C' section that has been riveted over the existing steel box section. It was on the Haf when I bought it; I did remove it last year to have a look at the section underneath expecting it to be covering a multitude of rot and holes. I was pleasantly surprised that the steel was pretty sound.

I've left it on as it provides useful protection to the steelwork and paint as you're getting in and out - like a heavy-duty scuff plate.

You've surmised correctly - the horizontal lip above the front/rear wheels is to stop spray. When I had the wheels banded it increased the track width to the extent that when travelling through the fields large chunks of cow sh!t were getting chucked up, into the cab and landing on my lap - not very pleasant. However, some off-cuts of conveyor rubber and that was sorted!
jhon

Post by jhon »

We're having a lovely summer this year with mild temperatures and dry days - however winter and the colder weather is never too far away, so 'making hay while the sun shines' it seemed a good time to go out and do a bit of foraging.

The forest next to our home was recently felled and there are a lot of offcuts left lying. Pity to let them go to waste, so the Haflinger got a bit of a workout transporting a couple of loads.

I know some of these look quite substantial but it's surprising how light they really are - there really isn't much density to these softwood pine trees. It'll probably disappear in the fire like cardboard; can't complain though really, it's free and literally next door.

Mrs J was quite impressed though - thought it was good that to see 'that expensive toy' being used for something useful - lol.

Bobmog

Post by Bobmog »

More wood, summer duty, sledding tow truck, winter duty.
Attachments
Haffey with logs.jpg5.jpg
sledding5.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Nice to see the Haflinger earning it’s keep!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Ole

Post by Ole »

Finally mine has started paying back for all the parts and work put into it.
Attachments
Crap going to the dump.
Crap going to the dump.
The Haflinger is like a wheelbarrow with a drivers cabin.
The Haflinger is like a wheelbarrow with a drivers cabin.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok then if you are not going to give me your wheels - i will have the tow bar 8-)

It is good to see you using you Haffie - it looks great :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The only problem with having the tow bar Gary, is that the haflinger is only rated to tow 300 KG. Admittedly, that is both on road and offroad so you could just about get away with having 500KG on the platform, 300KG in the form of a trailer and load and then depending on who's driving / passenger - you might actually overload the combination! On top of that I am sure your travelling speeds will suffer.

Having said all that! I haven't actually towed anything with Lurch even though I have a tow bar..... No trailer!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The space at the side of my house is barely wide enough to fit my big car and the haf will be good for towing my trailer around from the back to the front and vice versa rather than possibly damaging the much wider car. As Ole has found they are great vehicles (being so small) to help with work around the house :)

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Ole

Post by Ole »

I have been looking for a trailer for it. Sometimes I need to haul long but light things like planks. So far a very simple boat trailer looks promising. They can be had in long lenghts and are pretty light.

Garry, the towbar even have some kind of quick disconnect. I need to make sure everything is locked or welded down if we ever show up at the same meeting:D
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ole wrote:Garry, I need to make sure everything is locked or welded down if we ever show up at the same meeting:D
Haha - my country was born out of the transportation of light fingered convicts ;)

Unfortunately there is not much chance of us being at the same meet - just look at google maps - we are at almost opposite ends of the globe - the last time I was in Europe was 35 years ago and I guess not much chance of me heading back that way.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Ole wrote:I have been looking for a trailer for it.
What I would LOVE to do is make a trailer that looks like half a Haf out of an old Haf; something like this ...

I have a VERY rusty LWB body & half reasonable running gear that I could possibly use as inspiration, but TBH I don't have the technical knowledge or artistic skills to bring it to reality. Ho Hum!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Ole

Post by Ole »

Great idea Julian. But if you use the back of an Haf it looks pretty much like a regular trailer. I mean there is not much more than a box and wheels back there:) But you get a wonderfully over engineered trailer that is for sure.