Haflingers hard at work

Julian B

Re: Haflingers hard at work

Post by Julian B »

Two options; either use the front of a Haf, complete with triangular "footwell" and tow it backwards, or use the rear and tow it forwards; either way, one could use the standard brackets that connect the transmission up to the body. And the sides could be made using the sideboards.

I know it wouldn't be that much different from a plain / standard trailer, but with the design cues of the sides and the wheels I still think it would look quite fun. :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Ole

Post by Ole »

I would love to see it. Towed behind a Haf it would be easy to see where the trailer came from even if it was the back half of a Haf.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Some more realistic options
002-25.jpg
auarmy-haf05.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

That trailer may well be the "official" Haflinger trailer, but I much prefer my design; with such a weedy towing limit no trailer is going to be particularly useful, but one that mirrors the tow truck just tickles my fancy ;)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Ole

Post by Ole »

Not exactly hard at work, but doing something useful. Got the x-mas tree home today.
Attachments
The lucky tree in the background.JPG
X-mas tree.JPG
jhon

Post by jhon »

Haven't posted much recently as I've been busy with projects, one of which needed me to fire up the Haf and get it to work!

Here it is getting loaded with turfs for transportation (the hens are only slightly less effective than me when it comes to scratching about in the dirt)

Negotiating my way over the soft garden ground I quickly realised that the narrow 'road' tyres didn't have enough flotation and soon came to a halt with the nearside rear sunk to the sump guard.

No matter, I was in approximately the right spot and as soon as I unloaded it popped out in reverse; four other trips and the job was done.

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Isn’t that what a dumper truck is for? Not that the Haf can’t do it, but a dumper truck has the tipping bed which would make unloading easier...

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi John - yes, an astute observation - the dumper truck would have been easier to use and unload - however access in to the area by the pond is very tight and it wouldn't have fitted through the trees.

Unloading did take a bit of time and effort, but it was a nice day and I didn't mind. The cleaning of the Haf afterwards not so much though. :)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Here is my haflinger hard at work in my garage as a workbench and junk store :shock:

The height is just right for working on projects and my fridge fits in the back really well ;)
IMG_20190418_111231.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
jhon

Post by jhon »

:D Hi Garry - realistically, that's what mine spends a lot of its time being used for too!
bestill

Post by bestill »

Here's a picture of mine at the farm with load of Pumpkins we grew about 5 years back!
Attachments
haffy X pumpkins.JPG
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Disgusting things. Pumpkins that is :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

Short trip to the river!
Attachments
20190522_134549.jpg
jhon

Post by jhon »

Gosh, more than two years since we've seen evidence of any Haflingers working hard earning their keep ;) ; hope everyone is coping well with these strange times.

Mine has been kept busy moving on a weekly basis moving stuff around - here's some recent photos - you can see that Summer is just arriving and everything is starting to green-up, time to get back to the pruning.

ImageP1040979 by John Maclennan, on Flickr

ImageP1040976 by John Maclennan, on Flickr

ImageP1040980 by John Maclennan, on Flickr
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

My Jag has got to go interstate once covid restrictions ease for a full restoration. To get it ready for the 900km transport to the restorer I have been putting all the parts I had pulled off it back on. I did this with the front of the car facing in.

It was now time to turn it around so the front faces out so i can put the bonnet and its trim on. As you can see from my avatar pic my drive way is a bit steep and the car has to come all the way out and get turned around near the top of the drive and rolled via gravity back into the garage.

As the first pull and turn is onto my front lawn it is a bit tight so I decided to see if the Haflinger was up to the job. In the past it has been OK when the Haflinger was loaded up but performed not so well towing things and the Jag weighs in at about 1400kg.

Well I hooked up some towing chains and it struggled to even move the Jag but once moving was ok but then the haf was on the grass and the jag going up hill. Came to a stop pretty quick with a couple of stalls and rear wheels loosing traction - into 4wd and diff locks on and movement started but all wheels spinning on the grass but eventually got the car into the sideways position ready to pull forward further up the drive.

ImagePXL_20211025_025134098

I disconnected the Haf and pulled it forward with my Range Rover Sport - interestingly the Haf struggled, stalling and spinning of wheels where the RRS in drive and at idle just pulled the jag up the drive so it could go back down the drive. Well gravity didn't quite work and with the jag connected to the RRS I pulled the jag with the Haf downhill but even then it struggled a bit - just goes to show how a high torque diesel works better than a low torque 640kg tow vehicle. Major advantage is its small size and ability to get into tight spots with a tight turning circle.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think you had two issues, one the Haf doesn't weigh enough - you should have put some weight in the back. If you had some 25 litre plastic containers, you could have filled them with water, or if you had some building work going on, borrowed some cement or plaster bags. The second is your tyres, they are not aggressive enough for grass. Having said that even aggressive tyres slip on grass.
Still, nice to see a Haf out and about.
Lurch is still semi comatose - engine gets run and driven backwards and forward far enough for the wheels to make a full revolution. That way the brakes don't stick.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:32 am Still, nice to see a Haf out and about.

John
Yes - you see that blue stuff in the pic - that is called "sky" - something you dont get to see much in the UK.

Yes you are quite correct re the weight in the back and the grass surface - it did the job though and didn't rip up the grass too much.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Shame to say my Haflinger is still too bling to go to work. Photo is from a local classic car meet. I have no land to get rough and dirty on. Just a few square meters I concreted over to put a garage for vehicle rebuilds. But maybe in the future.
Great photos from every one. Got to organize a trailer for my 60's British Anzani ride on lawn mower, that the Haffi can tow. Then at least the Haflinger will have some work to do. That grey stuff in the top of the photo is just temporary.
Jeff.
IMG_20211023_093853947_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180308_142230553.jpg
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well despite the grey outlook, at least you have got your Haflinger out and about and showing it off.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)