New rules for MOT testing (UK)

Julian B

New rules for MOT testing (UK)

Post by Julian B »

Looks like as of 2018 there will be a rolling 40 year exemption from requiring an MOT test, so my two Hafs - and indeed ALL Haflingers - will be exempt. Great news.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... c-interest

FWIW, I also have a 1956 Citröen and I normally put this through an MOT every other year just so that someone who is more aware of safety defects than me passes an eye over it. I'm sure that I will do this with my Hafs too.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: New rules for MOT testing (UK)

Post by heinkeljb »

I saw that too, Although Lurch was made in 1973, these rules only come in to force in MAY 2018, so I might just have to HAVE an MOT. Although thinking about it, I get the MOT done in April just in case I have to get something fixed, I then have a month to fix it before going to the Dutch Treffen. So I will have to have a close look at the dates involved.

The biggest reason for having an MOT done even though it is not required would be for insurance purposes as your vehicle still has to be roadworthy and the insurance companies have been relying on the MOT to prove the vehicle is roadworthy. Now I wonder if you will have to sign a document to say your vehicle is roadworthy before they issue insurance.

We wait and see.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

heinkeljb wrote:Now I wonder if you will have to sign a document to say your vehicle is roadworthy before they issue insurance.
That has not been my experience with my 1956 jalopy; true, the insurance company will kick up big time in the event of a claim and it is found to be unroadworthy, but that it no different from when a car does need an MOT.

I'm not suggesting that this is a license to drive a dangerous car, but it is a step forward WRT reducing hoops...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thankfully where I live we don't have MOTs :-) - yet 10km away across the border they do. I don't miss that annual stress fest one little bit.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)