How many have survived?

tinkerer

How many have survived?

Post by tinkerer »

Hi all,
Just talking about the rarity of our little Haffys prompted a question...

Does anyone know how many Haffys have survived in different areas of the world and is there a database anywhere of individual vehicle information?
I heard that around 17k were built, but just interested to see what information is out there, or if the group had the ability (and want) to put this sort of information together.. ;)
'73 703AP

"There is only one way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.."
Julian B

Re: How many have survived?

Post by Julian B »

There is a load of info on Constantin's website - see http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/index.php

http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/literature ... -sales.php shows that ~16,500 were built. I'm not sure how many are still running / road worthy, but the UK Club did do a survey a couple of years ago and may have some info? If I had to guess I would have thought that there were only ~50 road worthy Hafs in the UK?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Julian B wrote:There is a load of info on Constantin's website - see http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/index.php

http://tdc.haflinger-4wd.com/literature ... -sales.php shows that ~16,500 were built. I'm not sure how many are still running / road worthy, but the UK Club did do a survey a couple of years ago and may have some info? If I had to guess I would have thought that there were only ~50 road worthy Hafs in the UK?
Hi Julian B,
I'm genuinely shocked.. :o I would have thought there were more than 50 roadworthy Haffys in the UK, but I suppose it isn't really a common sight now, so you are probably correct.. I have seen Constantin's website and it is a wealth of information..
I'll keep digging.. Thanks again..
'73 703AP

woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi, you are correct Julian that the Club ( Haflinger and Pinzgauer Club UK ) did do a survey a few years back the result was 53 road worthy Haflingers however not all Members replied to the survey so there maybe a few more. I can tell you from our archive material that between 1961 & 1975 there was a total of 945 Haflingers imported to Britain, these were new vehicles and dosn't include any that have been imported by individuals, ex Swiss Army ex Austrian Army etc, hope this info is use full, and tinkerer, welcome to the Forum, looking forward to reading about your rebuild, have you thought of joining our Club and the Clubs Forum http://www.haflingerandpinzgauerclubuk.org Regards Pete Elliott Club Secretary
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

woodman wrote:Hi, you are correct Julian that the Club ( Haflinger and Pinzgauer Club UK ) did do a survey a few years back the result was 53 road worthy Haflingers however not all Members replied to the survey so there maybe a few more. I can tell you from our archive material that between 1961 & 1975 there was a total of 945 Haflingers imported to Britain, these were new vehicles and dosn't include any that have been imported by individuals, ex Swiss Army ex Austrian Army etc, hope this info is use full, and tinkerer, welcome to the Forum, looking forward to reading about your rebuild, have you thought of joining our Club and the Clubs Forum http://www.haflingerandpinzgauerclubuk.org Regards Pete Elliott Club Secretary
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the information and the welcome.. Very informative indeed.. As they say, every day is a school day..
I'll certainly share when I can about getting the Haffy up and running as I do take lots of photos..
As far as club membership goes, I am registered on the forum and do go on every now and then and I would be interested in possibly getting more involved..
Havnt touched the Haffy for a few months as the good lady broke her wrist, but thankfully she is feeling better now.. Looking forward to getting back into it..
'73 703AP

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

In Aust - I have owned my Haffie for 4 years and in that time I have never seen another one on the road - in fact I have only ever sighted one other in the flesh and that is one of Danny's (Vampyr).

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

In over 40 years of ownership I have only ever seen 3 or 4 other Haflingers in the UK, excluding those of people that I know / looking at potential eBay purchases.

This fact goes to explain why I found my first European Treffen (in Hafling, south Tyrol) so exciting - with perhaps 130 in attendance :D :shock: :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

I know in Ireland, I have only ever seen 2 other Haflingers (not including my current one), and both of them were ours... My father bought them in the late 70's and sold them in the early 80's. I know they were 60's and SWB with canvas.. I would love to know where they went.. The disease started then.. I kept the manuals and some of the spare parts and vowed that I would have another one..
Voila...
'73 703AP

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took me 20 years to go from seeing one and admiring it to being in a position to be able to buy one!

First six months of ownership was spent rebuilding the front end drive as it pee'd oil all over the place on it's first run and when I got as far as the relevant oils seal - I discovered all the bearings were shot. Ended up doing both sides as I reckoned the other side couldn't be far behind!

Been driving Lurch places to make up for lost time....!? Having fun doing the odd trial including a night one which was very interesting as everything looks different and things like trees jump out at you.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

A guy 1 hour from me used to have 5 until I bought them :)

Michael King started up a Facebook group to see how many Pathfinders are out there - he should have the current tally
https://www.facebook.com/groups/639783909448759/
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

I'm pretty lucky , have 2, owned 3, sold 1, seen another 4, know where there are another 2, but have 1 wife and see knows where I sleep....
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Gidday all, An interesting question from Tinkerer regarding the numbers of live Haffies. There was 1 rolled up in a ball in a house in Darwin after Cyclone Tracey, and I am sure that one went down to the dump as land fill along with the City of Darwin. I know of 2 others that were in Darwin but they disappeared about 1995, and in fact my one maybe one of those. A mate of mine had one years ago and said it was the most useless vehicle that he had ever owned as he kept falling out of it. I will admit he used to drink a bit, but it turned out that it was one of those US Army mules and not a Haffie. The Aus army had a number of those and I think it was one of them. I spent years trying to track that vehicle down but without luck.. Where I got mine from, there was another one there which I am sweating on when the bloke wants to sell it. I saw one in SA where the local council used it around the parks and gardens etc, but I have never seen one being driven on the road. I have seen some on ebay and in fact the one at Langwarrin which was for sale, I hummed and harred about it until it was to late and I missed out on it That decided me that I wouldn't say no to the next one that came up. I would be interested to know how many are alive in Aus but if there only about 50-60 in the UK then there would be far less that that here I would think.
Regards Rick.
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I know of 37 Haflinger Pathfinders in various states of drivability internationally. This includes the one at the Puch museum, but does not include the bugeye prototype.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I know of 6 Haflingers including my own ,in various states of repair in the Cairns area.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

They will all be rusted out I bet.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

The Australian Haflinger club has a register. You can add details of your own. http://www.haflingerclub.org.au/Registry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ogdenenterprise

Hi Garry,
My own is in fair condition, 1 is in the middle of a rebuild, another is running but bits missing here and there , another 2 are on a farm in usable condition and the last one has had the rear axle ripped off. There are photos of the last 3 in one of the threads.

Dave
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Great to hear so many in Australia.Danny
ogdenenterprise

I have found the link to the 3 haflingers, its under random pictures , 3 haflingers found.

Dave
Doug Lennox

Post by Doug Lennox »

When i got mine in 2007 there was another in Townsville in road worthy commission but i left it so i could have mine as a project. I have also seen one being used on a farm just out of Malanda in the Atherton Tablelands North Queensland.

Doug