New UK MOT rules

Julian B

New UK MOT rules

Post by Julian B »

The MOT for my 1962 Haflinger expires 28th April; the new UK rules mean that it won't need an MOT from 1st(?) May. Am I OK to just not use it for a couple of days, or do the new rules _require_ it to have a valid MOT when the new rules come in to force?

Any know? TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: New UK MOT rules

Post by heinkeljb »

As far as I know, vehicle has to have a current MOT when it is used on the road. Does not need an MOT if if it is not on a public road. That would mean just not using it on a public road for a couple of days.
I have to get Lurch MOT’ed shortly, so come Saturday, I’ll pop into the MOT station and ask them. Lurch is in a similar situation with when the MOT runs out.

Do I gat an MOT before going to Holland or not? So I need to find as well!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,
Your Haflinger qualifies as soon as the new MOT rules come in to effect (20th May 2018) as it is well over 40 years old!
You will just have to "certify" that your vehicle meets the MOT standard when you apply for the non-payment Road Tax online!!

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot- ... 0-may-2018

Unfortunately, it means poor old Lurch would have to "off road" from April 1st to 20th May! (Not really a big hardship - unless there is a Trials that happens during that time).

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey John,
A question that is on my mind each and every time I read one of your posts is,who is/was Lady Sutherland and who are/were her sons. Were they a family or a business,or both who owned Lurch.
Regards Rick.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Rick,

I am sure you have heard about Lords and Ladies in your time. They were quite a thing back in the day when the class system was working at it's peak. They were the only ones along with royalty that owned land. Hence usually became quite wealthy. You can read all about Lady Sutherland here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth ... Sutherland

Lurch was I suppose, only owned by her estate which presumably had the name Lady Sutherland and sons. That is what is shown on the Log book (Title deed) that we in the UK get when you become the owner of a vehicle. A bit like your "pink slip", but in the UK the Log book only relates to the registered keeper and maybe that its no the same as the "owner". I.E. you can be the keeper of the vehicle, but the owner of the vehicle could be a company.

The signature is a tongue in cheek reference to the fact that Lurch has a connection to royalty, and therefore should be bowed and scraped to!

John

mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey John,
Very interesting read on Wikipedia.
I haven't given my Hafffie a name as yet, as it is such a bastard of a thing to work on that like all bastards it can be a bit of a problem as to which name to use.
I am with you, but not only Lurch, ALL Haffies should be bowed and scraped to. When ever anyone wants to see where I am up to on my resetoration, I make them wash their hands first.
Regards Rick.