Likely new owner question

TxEddie1111

Likely new owner question

Post by TxEddie1111 »

Hello from Texas.

I’ve been searching for a Haflinger and think I’ve found the right one for me. My preference is one that is in good condition, not one needing a serious restoration. I’ve gone through many other restoration projects over the past 20 years and the cost to bring a vehicle to very good condition can become very costly and time consuming and I’m hoping to avoid that path and frankly, I just want enjoy the vehicle from Day 1.

So, hopefully discovering the “right” one means minimal odds and ends needing attention.

My question is, in the event the one I purchase does need attending to, and for routine maintenance and repairs from use, are most parts available? Are there parts that simply are not available?

If, ugh (I’m 4 years into a 1970 240Z restoration that was supposedly an “8.5 out of 10” condition; NOT!), I buy the one I’ve located and it needs serious work (engine, drivetrain, body, etc), can parts be sourced?

Any help and information would be much appreciated.

What websites would you recommend with active Haflinger members.

Thanks again!!
Julian B

Re: Likely new owner question

Post by Julian B »

Hi Eddie(?), welcome to the forum. If you could put your location in your profile it might help in targeting replies etc.

In my experience, most if not all mechanical items can be found - from places like Haflinger Technik in the UK or other suppliers in Europe - but body panels etc can be hard to find +/or expensive.

Good Luck, and let us know how you progress!

PS Even a mint Haflinger will need TLC and continued repairs and fixes etc; to think otherwise might be a mistake ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Likely new owner question

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome,

As you will already have noticed, this site can be a bit slow, but it picks up the moment a new person buy a Haflinger and starts asking questions!

Most parts are available either new or second hand. The biggest problem will be that the new parts are obviously new manufacture and therefore current setup up / materials / labour rates, then on top of that most of the world's Haflingers are in Europe so the price of parts in the U.S.A. will be that much higher.

There are quite a few suppliers / websites for owners - First for us Brits would be HaflingerTecnik.com for parts, this site (if for no other reason then I run it)!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!