One year later.

Tajman

One year later.

Post by Tajman »

It was a year ago we collected my Haflinger from deepest Wales UK. The sad, unused and neglected vehicle came to a new home. I borrowed a Mini race trailer and loaded it on backwards. At that point it still had its polycab on. See picture.
With the "deck" blasted, repaired and painted, I am planning on making the front in the open style. See picture - with the steering, seats and dash tray, jigged up on the deck. I am going to make the front from marine ply and epoxy, having made several boats using that method. Hopefully you will not notice the difference when finished. the material is more adaptable for me to work with. Hopefully the poly cab can be kept complete so there is a bolt on bolt off choice. I have read that tall people have a problem with sight at the top bar of windscreen level. I am nearly 6 ft 4inches. As I am making the front body and the metal windscreen, I have the opportunity to add a inch or two on both components. Any thoughts anyone?
The chassis went down on to its wheels from the tressels this week. See picture. Still got an oil drip from one of the gaiters. Is there a Haflinger out there that does not leak oil? I have realised, putting the wheels back on, that the nearside front wheel is pushing the brake drum back and is binding on the back plate. With the wheel and drum off the hub turns ok. The back plate does not look distorted. Well some more investigation needed. Jeff.
Attachments
IMG_20200906_093225360_HDR (450 x 600).jpg
IMG_20200818_154533024_HDR (600 x 450).jpg
IMG_20190901_153240239_HDR (600 x 450).jpg
heinkeljb

Re: One year later.

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Jeff,

Let me see if I have this correct. The near side hub with out brake drum or wheel on turns correctly. When you put the brake shoes on and put the drum on it does not turn correctly?
Let me hazard a guess.... You have fitted new exchange brake shoes. If this is the case, then probably the thickness of the braking material on the brake shoes is just too thick.

Take the brake shoes off and just put them in to brake drum. The curve of the brake material should match your drum perfectly. You might also find the material is just too thick and you will have to shave it down some how. - Use a mask if you try, as the dust is not likely to be very good for you if breathed in.

You could try swapping the brake drums round to see if you get a better fit with the wear in drums being slightly different, the internal diameter of the drums will be slightly different and the ridge / lip will also vary between drums.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Tajman

Post by Tajman »

Thanks John,
I had retained the original brake shoes as they still had lots of meat on them and gave them and the drums, a good clean with brake and clutch cleaner. I have replaced every thing else, Flexy pipes, metal pipes, cylinders.
By process of illimination , I realised one of the new brake adjusters was a bit to tight so it was an easy fix in the end.
Next job is making the windscreen. Another Haflinger owner has lent me a jig and supplied me with the correct profile metal section. I will cut it and prep it then get it welded up.
Last week I was lucky enough to have a ride in a Southampton Haflinger. Wonderful to see another one close up for the first time. It was great and has given me lots of encouragement.
Jeff.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Tajman wrote:Wonderful to see another one close up for the first time. It was great and has given me lots of encouragement.
You are lucky - I have had my Haflinger for 8 years this month. In all that time I have never seen another Haflinger on the road, and the only other one I have seen in the flesh was when I visited someone with a Haflinger to get some parts.

So in 8 years, only laid eyes on one once - yet Aust probably has more Haflingers hidden away than just about any country outside Europe.

PS I like the yellow springs.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Glad it was just something easy to spot that was preventing the brake drum from working correctly.

There are several Haflingers relatively close to you Jeff, Maybe some time soon, we will be allowed to go to Treffens again, to have off road pay and play days and trials again.

Are you going to drive your Haflinger place or put it on a trailer / in a van? Or haven't you thought that far ahead?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

AustHaflinger wrote:
Tajman wrote:Wonderful to see another one close up for the first time. It was great and has given me lots of encouragement.
You are lucky - I have had my Haflinger for 8 years this month. In all that time I have never seen another Haflinger on the road, and the only other one I have seen in the flesh was when I visited someone with a Haflinger to get some parts.

So in 8 years, only laid eyes on one once - yet Aust probably has more Haflingers hidden away than just about any country outside Europe.

PS I like the yellow springs.

Garry

My Australian Haflinger Register is up to 144 this week, with the addition of two more Hafs, a lot closer to you than to me. One allegedly has Porsche motor fitted, but I haven't seen a photo of the back, nor has the owner disclosed exactly what motor it is. It could well be just a VW conversion.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Have you published your register anywhere?

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)