Adding PTO

heinkeljb

Adding PTO

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi,

I own an LWB Haffie and I was wondering what is involved in retro fitting a PTO system? What I was hoping to do is run an air compressor.

So given that it is possible to fit a PTO to an LWB - are such things available? If so what sort of price are we talking?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Re: Adding PTO

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

Adding the PTO is a fairly complex bit of work that will be quite expensive IF you can locate all the required pieces.

First of all if your platform was not already configured for a PTO it will need to have the right side rear footwell removed and special brackets mounted under the platform bed. Then the large hole that is left after the footwell is removed will need to be filled with a special floor plate and trapdoor that will be nearly impossible to find if you want original parts however these could be fabricated if you're not concerned with an original appearance.

Next you will need to find the PTO long drive shaft, drive pulleys, brackets and connection joints that mount along the central tube. There is a set of these parts (partial I think) on eBay.de as we speak and I think the asking price is rightfully a considerable sum. you will also need the PTO adapter and primary drive components that mount in the front of the gearbox plus the control lever & linkage parts that mount in the cab. Consult the Spare Parts catalog for all the PTO specific part details. The PTO drive components are listed in multiple sections of the catalog so it takes a bit of research to find them all.

You will need to change your governor housing and get the various pieces of brackets, springs and hardware that allows the governor to be set for PTO operation speed. The governor housing for a PTO equipped Haffy has additional mounting studs for the extra brackets. Along with this you need to change the governor belt drive pulley that also serves as the dynamo drive pulley attaching nut. The new drive pulley/nut is a different diameter for the PTO setup than that used for standard applications.

Lastly, you need to have the round style exhaust silencer (vs. oval type) to allow clearance for the PTO components.

As I mentioned earlier, these parts are extremely rare as relatively few Haffys were supplied with the PTO option and you can expect to pay premium prices to get them as they are much more a collectors item. If I were you I'd buy a small compressor driven by a Honda engine if larger air volumes are needed. For small compressed air needs get a diaphram type compressor that runs on a 12Vdc motor. Either way these are much cheaper and easier than creating the factory PTO system from scratch. Besides, you don't really feel like hacking up your platform do you :evil: ?

Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Much as I hate to agree with you, it does look like it's a non starter to retro fit (unless you happen to have all the bit sitting in the garage).

Still, I will continue looking for bits / hopefully a complete vehicle with it fitted. Just seems a waste to carry two engines around when one would do!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

If it is just air for your tires and such. You might just consider a co2 tank or a air conditioner pump converted and mounted through the pulley system (search YouTube).
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi John,

There was a PTO shaft & pulleys on the German ebay recently.

I have some quality photos taken of my PTO assembly somewhere, with the fire pump and cradle removed so the underbody is quite clearly visible.

I had taken them for Constantin's reference.

Not sure if I can upload given the size, but you could PM me if you like.

Making up a shaft/pulley assembly would not be a major exercise if the internal gear is still present.

The other issue is that the governor is a two speed type. I bought my 700APT off a guy who had disconnected the goveror because the truck drove too slowly. In fact there is a lever setting for road and PTO.

Cheers,

Rob
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello Rob,

Here are the pictures of your Haflinger, I have used the ones from eBay:
411tedm-11.jpg
411tedm-11.jpg (38.16 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
411tedm-09.jpg
411tedm-09.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 1207 times
I think that especially the internal gearbox parts and the lever/linkage for actuation will be hard to find. In Australia, PTO was fairly standard with many Hafs, which is nice!

Kind regards,
Constantin
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Constantin,

I have looked under a few civilian short and long wheelbase Haflingers and there is a blank cover in the gearbox where the drive shaft connects.

I suppose the internal PTO gear was optionally fitted at the factory.

The obvious evidence of a PTO model is not just the missing passenger footwell (rust bucket), the access cover is also very narrow to just pass the drive belts through the truck bed.

However, bodies often get swapped due to rust.

Did Steyr ever fit badges with the "APT" subscript to the PTO models ? Mine just has "AP".

Cheers,

Rob
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

It would be really nice to be able to add the PTO system, but after what has been said in this thread, it doesn't seem like an economic task to do. Probably easier to find a complete Haflinger with PTO already fitted.

I wonder if you could just fit the PTO gears stuff in the gearbox part and then have some other system of shaft with UJ's on it or just a short splined shaft and pulley wheel which you could shove into the bit in the gearbox so you could fit a bracket on the side to run the belt out to? That way you could keep the foot well it the operating rod could be still be fitted.

John