Scissor jack?

heinkeljb

Scissor jack?

Post by heinkeljb »

Been thinking of getting a scissor jack for Lurch (have't seen an original one), so it will have to be a generic one for the time being.

Then a thought occurred (dangerous I know), Where would it have fitted? It would not have fitted terribly well into one of the tool boxes above the spare wheel unless to collapsed really small. Then would it be tall enough to lift the Haflinger.

So anybody answer the above dilemma?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Re: Scissor jack?

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

The original scissor jack does collapse to a very small size and there is an extension piece that is used to give the needed height which folds over to allow storage in the side mounted toolbox. It's a very ingenious design and functions well. I'll post a photo of my jack this evening.

Cheers,
Steve
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

As promised, here are the pictures of the Haflinger jack as well as the jack handle, hand crank for manual engine starting and complete tool kit. Believe it or not this all fits easily into one of the side toolboxes. The first picture shows the jack extension folded to the storage position. The second picture shows the extension in the up for use position.

Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
P1000720a.jpg
P1000720a.jpg (55.85 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
P1000719a.jpg
P1000719a.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 2490 times
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

My original jack is long gone and I have a basic scissor jack bought from an auto parts supplier - fits into one of the tool boxes and works fine.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

My original one is not a scissor one but kinda looks like a small hi-lift and mounts under the dash.
Is that not original to all Hafi's or is that an optional jack and or specific to Bantam models
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John,

I have an original Haf jack - I'll show it to you the next time we meet.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll need a jack of some description as having a spare wheel with out one is plain stupid!

Maybe I'll get a generic scissor jack and with the spare wheel stowed the appropriate way, throw a block of 4 x 4 inch wood in there to act as a spacer. The one tool box I do have is going to fill up pretty quick with things like the jack and tools and the odd spare part. ;)

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Westernair, for Haflinger ex Swiss army is as original as you have ...

The Haflinger second series, from about 1968, they have a different scissor jack, not mechanical, but hydraulic oil.
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

The blue scissor jack in the photo I posted above is the original for my Haf which is a 1969 Canadian Series 2. The following picture of a hydraulic jack is an original from a 1972 US Pathfinder version. Thanks to Constantin for this photo.

Cheers,
Steve
Attachments
DSCN0445a.jpg
DSCN0445a.jpg (76.56 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I have one of those in the garage somewhere...... Might be missing the pumping rod, but that shouldn't be difficult to improvise. Might have to think a bit about the curved top - pretty sure mine is just a round top.

John

Westernair

Post by Westernair »

Here is mine I was referring to.
Westernair

Post by Westernair »

The rod sticking out the top end is the handle. Just pull it out and pump the jack
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Here is one on the ebay.de site, ending soon http://www.ebay.de/itm/Steyr-Puch-Hafli ... 300wt_1146
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

That interesting jack for the Bantam seems to be held in a bracket under the dash. In my AU army haflinger, it is where the trenching tool is kept.

Also, the external light plug- is that a common feature of Swiss Army Haflingers? All the Austrlian Army Haflingers had them too- ive attached a pic with original map reading light plugged in.

Cheers

Rick
Attachments
trenching tool and bracket
trenching tool and bracket
IMG_4257.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
Map Reading light
Map Reading light
IMG_4261.jpg (51.2 KiB) Viewed 2373 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]