Is this my vehicle??

AustHaflinger

Is this my vehicle??

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have had this pic for a while now and always had it in the back of my head that this is the same vehicle as my own but nothing to really prove it.

Last night while searching a 4wd forum I cam across a post by the person who actually took the pic - it was taken in Kalgoorlie in Western Australia in 2006.

Here are some pics of my vehicle.

The reasons that I think they are the same vehicle.

- I know my vehicle spent some time in the gold fields around Kalgoorlie after 2005.
- Both vehicles have the same style of hood (removable rear window) but with ill fitting opening windows (frames are on the wrong door).
- Same style of non original tray sides.
- Most body fittings are the same.
- The trailer looks the same as the one the seller also tried to sell me when I bought my Haffie.
- The small holes at the front above the bumper have small rubber grommets in them - same on both vehicles.

The inconsistencies
- Wheels - I know my mags were installed in its refurbishment a couple of years back, after the 2006 pic was taken.
- The led parking lights on my vehicle are not on the earlier one - again these were installed in the refit a little while back
- Different number plates - the number plate on my vehicle as a later Tasmanian style - the one in the earlier pic is unknown. Still chasing up and may be an early Tasmanian plate that it was first registered with or a WA plate. Unlike the UK number plates do not stay with the vehicle as it goes in and out of registration or changes jurisdictions.
- Rear vision mirrors are different but could have been changed.

So - what do you think?? Are they the same vehicle. Any Aussies recognise where the earlier number comes from?

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Is this my vehicle??

Post by heinkeljb »

I don't think there is any real way to tell if it is the same vehicle unless you can find some thing like a bit of damage to the bodywork which you can match to your current machine. I don't think the photo has enough detail to see the strange profile you have on the platform just under the rear of the cabin. That would be ideal to tie the two things together.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes I agree - what ties it together for me is that the location and year ties in with known history. As far as common body bits that are not common to all haffies are the little black dots on either side of the front air vents which are rubber plugs to seal holes through to the cabin. I have been through all my Haffie pics (400 pics) and have not found any other Haffie with these however the early pic and my vehicle have these.

If I could work out the West Australian number plate I could possibly apply for information from the West Australian government. The L at the start of the plate means it was registered in Leonora which is in the middle of the desert and only has a population of 400 and the nearest town is Kalgoorlie 250km to the south. So I don't think there were too many Haffies in the area at the time.

Also the amount of red dirt which is unique to outback desert country that had fallen out from underneath the Haffie also indicates it use outback.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

L-2712 (my guess) at the number plate. I think you are probably 85% right, but without actually being able to trace either the ownership from start to finish or being able to match a specific "ding" - the holes as you say might be specific enough if you could match the distances exactly.

The problem is they look like they are in a position to have been wiring holes for spot lights which would mean that anyone else putting spot lights on "might" make hole in similar positions.

Still its a nice thing to keep hunting for information on.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!