An ancestor of the Haflinger?

Rick K

An ancestor of the Haflinger?

Post by Rick K »

Last week I had the pleasure of again visiting the Military History Museum in Vienna, the Heeresgeschichtliches. There in the WWII exhibition hall I found this lovely creature, built by Steyr-Daimler-Puch. There is a certain similarity to the later Haflinger in its utilitarian lines. You could have a lot on fun in this...

enjoy

Rick
Attachments
LHS view
LHS view
photo%20(12).jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
frontal
frontal
photo%20(11).jpg (79.2 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Museum description
Museum description
photo%20(14).jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
cockpit
cockpit
photo%20(13).jpg (89.8 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Rear
Rear
photo%20(15).jpg (61.33 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
heinkeljb

Re: An ancestor of the Haflinger?

Post by heinkeljb »

Very nice, but probably geared for total off road use only and very thirsty to boot! I wouldn't turn my nose up at it for those reasons though!

Any chance some one could do an English translation of the placard?

I wonder how many were produced?

Be bloody cold in winter as there doesn't seem to be any heating other than having the engine right next to you - roasting one side and freezing the other side :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

heinkeljb wrote:Any chance some one could do an English translation of the placard?
Running it through Google Translate - and then tweaking it a bit to make it flow better - comes up with ...
CATERPILLAR TRACTOR EAST (RSO) IN THE REDUCED EXECUTION AS MOUNTAIN CRAWLER TRACTOR (RSG)

Motor: 8 cylinder V motor
Driving Speed: 70/85 PS
Air Cooled / Blowers

In the winter of 1941/42, the lack of horses on the Eastern Front was noticeable and the German Army vehicles could no longer meet their elite tasks. So in early 1942, they began to develop a tractor with Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, the needs of the German Wehrmacht should correspond to the East. This "caterpillar tractor East" (alone in Steyr in 2,600 pieces) produced until 1944 in various finishes: (as Selbdahriafette (maybe "self propelled???)) from several manufacturers. The gezergle here? was used to determine the Art Treasures the Vienna Museums in the Salzburg factory??? transport.
Not great but it gives one the gist! :oops:
Last edited by Julian B on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Julian, thanks for the translation.

For something designed to be used on the eastern front, you would think it would at least have haflinger-type framed canvas doors. It would have been awful through one of those long russian winters, although if I recall what my grandfather told me, the troops were grateful for any kind of servicable motorised transportation (especially in retreat), doors or no.

cheers

Rick
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Thanks for the link Julian.

The pressed sheet-metal cab version has some similarities to the later Kommunal Haflinger. Perhaps this 'Raupenschlepper Ost' did provide some design inspiration for the Haflinger from the point of view of the tray and body, but Erich Ledwinka's influence is not apparent at this early stage given the caterpillar track configuration. An early version of the Schnee Wiesel Haflinger...

Here is a youtube link to a surviving Raupenschlepper Ost in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9OuVEo5PXw

Rick
Attachments
Raupenschlepper Ost- pressed cab
Raupenschlepper Ost- pressed cab
raupenschlepper_ost_rso_02.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 1197 times