Body off restoration starts today!

Julian B

Re: Body off restoration starts today!

Post by Julian B »

Today was quite a milestone for the restoration - I went for a test drive 8-)

Having (hopefully) sorted out the master cylinder grommet leak - perversely I think that we had pushed it in toooo far - I went for a short drive up and down my ~100m drive. The brakes are almost right, and will bed in a bit more with use. The steering was way out, with ~1/8th of a turn to the left, and 3 5/6th of a turn to the right! But that was easy to sort out. The throttle response is not great, and this seems to be accentuated by the long bar that goes between the throttle pedal and the central cam (i.e. the one on a RHD Haf that runs behind the driver's legs) having oval holes where the roll pins fit. This is due to wear over the years. We removed the pedal and bar, reduced the size of the hole in the pedal with some weld, and found a better bar in my box of bits; I will try to put it all back together over the weekend (after I have repainted the pedal) and hopefully this will help.

Pictures will follow when I have tidied up a few other bits and pieces, but so far I am thrilled. The steering feels great, the gearstick / gear change feels really nice, and the engine is going well. Just need a few dry days for some more test drives, and then it'll be off to get a new MOT which runs out in a few week's time.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done, Just in time for Holland!

I have to get mine MOT'ed as well, then start the process of writing to DVLA to get eh taxation class changed to "Historic" so I can get free Road Fund Licence - this last year I had to pay £140!

I seem to have manged to get the road tax to run out at the end of March / beginning of April which is when the changes to road tax applying to 1973 vehicles comes into force. Just need to get the documents done and in my hand before we go to Holland.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Whilst there are inevitably one or two things that still need sorting, today marks the main completion date. I even drove up to the local village bakery to buy some lunch! 8-)

It has taken just over 5 months, over 250 hours of my time (plus the painting / bead blasting etc), cost an absolute fortune, but I am thrilled with the outcome. My engineering skills are limited at best, but hopefully this will give others the confidence to have a go!

As promised, herewith a couple of photos ...
Attachments
30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
40.jpg
41.jpg
42.jpg
43.jpg
50.jpg
51.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Julian,

Absolutely superb job.

That has spurred me on again, although I've got a lot of work to get the platform up to your standard.

What paint did you use on the torque tube and suspension, I was planning to use POR 15?

Congrats

Stuart
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Stuart, on some bits I used "normal" 2 pack paint in RAL 9005 and on others I used black Hammerite, but I hope it is man enough for the job. Maybe I should have used a more robust paint ... but I'm not going back on what I have done now!!! :oops: :cry:

Ho Hum!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Nice job, well done.

Dave
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Looks - absolutely great - a credit to you.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi Julian,

Spectacular job! I really need to get that new data plate to you now to finish the project off :oops:
Your work makes me want to get going on my next Haffy resto project.

Kind regards,
Steve H.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks Steve. I've thoroughly enjoyed the process, and learnt a lot about how the Haflinger works too. Hopefully I will be more able to understand what goes wrong in future and be able to fix it !

Not sure that I have the energy to do another one, but am sure that it would be much easier than the first!

Cheers,
Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Neofitou

Post by Neofitou »

Fantastic Build. I hope mine turns out just as good.
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

StuartR wrote:Julian,

Absolutely superb job.

That has spurred me on again, although I've got a lot of work to get the platform up to your standard.

What paint did you use on the torque tube and suspension, I was planning to use POR 15?

Congrats

Stuart

I used por 15, really is top stuff!
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I hope you top-coated the POR.. It will turn grey and slough off without the top coat. It's not UV stable.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

POR-15 does give a good coating, and as you say it needs to be primed and then painted.
Anyone got recommendation for what top coat should be used, or a better option than POR-15, what do you use?
I have used Smoothrite in the past but it is not very durable (that was on Landrover chassis though).
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Hammerite in non-hammered variants work great since they are very self leveling.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

All the Hammerrite paints are very brittle and prone to chipping. 2 pack epoxy is the only really strong - long lasting paint. Up till now that meant having it done professionally due to the equipment needed. It is now possible to buy 2-pack in an aerosol can for home use - proper mask required obviously.

It has the 2 components separated internally until you break the seal and then mix the 2 parts.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Just to wrap this thread up, I took the Haf in for an MOT (UK annual safety check) and it passed first time :D

It was a 30m (/50km) round trip - the first "proper" drive since the re-build - and it went well. Not entirely convinced that the power output is quite right, and there may be some slight clutch slip - but only when under load and having changed up to fourth from third. Strange.

Still, one seriously happy bunny! :D :D :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

Well done on the MOT, got mine done last night as well.

When are we going to take them for a drive down some green lanes? Oh wait, we're going to the Dutch Treffen towards the end of April....

Naw, that's to long to wait. I'll have a look for some green lanes near you or we could go down the "old coach road" from Firle Place near Lewes towards Alfriston - that's nice and long!

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, give me a few days to get my cream Haflinger working and you are on!

(One other thing that I forgot to add was how much more comfortable the ride is now that I have fitted new shock absorbers. I never realised how duff the old ones must have been!)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Well done on getting back on the road.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)