New to this forum

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
heinkeljb

New to this forum

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi All,
Just a quick note to say I have a 1973 LBW RHD Haflinger which is at present having the front hubs rebuilt. It has done all of 26,000 odd mile and the everything I have looked at in the front hubs is shot! I only took them apart to replace the swivel pins as they had play in them. There was also an oil leak from the Drivers side Rzeppa joint oil seal. Thought if I was going to have to take one side apart to replace the oil seal and both to replace swivel pins and bushes I might as well replace seals on both sides - It's turned into a major rebuild.

I have put photographs on the other two Yahoo Haflinger groups if you want to see my vehicle.

John Bennett
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Markus
Site Admin

Re: New to this forum

Post by Markus »

In my experience the Haflinger always ends up a bigger job than it started out :cry: , since you have the hubs out its definitely worth doing the seals.
How did the oil look in the hubs? Any chance water got in and damaged bearings or gears? I'd also check the bearing preload if you already have the hubs out.

In case this helps.
Preload on the shimed angular roller bearings (output shaft) should be.
1kg @ 7-9cm from centre or .68 -.88N
I used a bottle and weighed it for 1kg, I didnt have access to a torque wrench that went that low.

Keep up the good work.
M
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Oil came out looking clean, but I don't think it was in there very long. I have cleaned one hub so far and started replacing seals and have replaced the swivel pin bushes. Bearings appear Ok, but time will tell.

I am just having trouble setting the "no end float" on the bottom swivel pin at present. Other than "guesstimating" at the thickness required, I don't have any method of measuring the small amount of movement I can feel. So I have ordered the next thickness shim and if it is too tight, I will have to make it thinner.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

My Haflinger is finally road worthy and have driven it a couple of times now. There must be rubbish in the fuel system as it doesn't run very nicely some times.

I took a friend of mine out in it and it misbehaved! So now it has been christened "LURCH" ! Quite fitting as it was once owed by the Lady Sutherland & Sons don't you think?

John

Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi John,

Getting a Haflinger roadworthy is a great achievement.

My only fuel problems have been the mechanical diaphram pump itself, sometimes not up to the task when revs are low.

Cheers,

Rob
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Loaded up and ready to try for my roadworthy certificate in the morning. Main worry will be the left front king pins which I didn't change and a lack of knowledge on the part of the tester on what equipment a 40 year old vehicle should have or not have.

heinkeljb wrote:Quite fitting as it was once owed by the Lady Sutherland & Sons don't you think?

John
John - have been meaning to ask for a while now - who is Lady Sutherland & Sons.

Garry

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I found this on the Internet:-

The Countess of Sutherland. In 1766 the 18th Earl of Sutherland died leaving only an infant daughter.(98) The title is Scottish, and the most ancient peerage in Britain, dating from about 1235 by writ (or 1275, or 1061, depending upon the source), so it could devolve upon the heirs general.(99) After a challenge by two other claimants to the title, the House of Lords found for the baby girl, who became the Countess of Sutherland in her own right, or suo jure. She married in 1785 the heir of the Marquess of Stafford; he was later created 1st Duke of Sutherland in 1833, a few months before his death. Their son, known as Earl Gower before his father was created a duke, thus inherited the dukedom in 1833, but did not inherit the Earldom of Sutherland until his mother died in 1839.(100)

Since the dukedom was created in the peerage of the United Kingdom in 1833, it was done by Letters Patent which specified the heirs male. A century later, the 5th Duke of Sutherland's only male heir was a distant cousin, but he had a niece, the only surviving child of his only brother. Thus when the 5th Duke died in 1963, his niece inherited the Scottish peerage and titles (and all of his land), while the peerage of Great Britain (the dukedom) went to the heir male (and very little else).(101)

So she is a titled lady of the realm, whose estate used to own my Haflinger. I believe it has had 3 (possibly 4) owners before myself. I think the one owner did not record the transfer with the Authorities.

John

Rob

Post by Rob »

The only history I studied was whose shout it was at the bar !

Cheers,

Rob