Another ex Army haflinger .. does that make it 17

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
stankem

Another ex Army haflinger .. does that make it 17

Post by stankem »

Gentlemen (and Ladies?), this is my first post (indeed this is my very first foray into a forum of any type; I hope I don’t inadvertently make a fool of myself)!
I am very impressed by the information this site holds and hope to learn something, and maybe even contribute something eventually.

I am the owner of,
1. a running ex Army Haflinger (Ex ARN 101827) that I has just commenced a full restoration
2. an Army Haflinger trailer (Ex ARN 101890)
3. a civilian 700AP without an engine (I am still trying to identify it but it has no ID plates or an engine and this makes it a little difficult)
4. Some bits and pieces
My intention is to fully restore both but starting with ARN 101827. I think the standard shown by Rick Krassoi on ARN 101820 is a target. I think I've added a couple of photos (I hope).
Can I ask a couple of dumb questions?
1. I have an original Army maintenance Manual and although it really is just a copy of the original manual one area it does mention is the hydraulic floats .I am very interested in more information on this (I notice there is some conversation in the Australian Haflinger club website).
2. I am not clear about the difference between an APTL and an AP (and I seem to remember there was another variant as well).
3. Does anyone know the best way of getting previous information form the South Australian registration office as Haflinger #2 was registered and I have the registration number but can’t find the Chassis, Vehicle (FzG ) or Engine Number and would like to chase this info down

I am also a Member of the English Haflinger and Pinzgauer Club and some of the information in the magazine from this club is of interest. I’ll post some information if anyone is interested
Stan
Attachments
100_1116 (2).JPG
100_1109 (2).JPG
AustHaflinger

Re: Another ex Army haflinger .. does that make it 17

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Stan and welcome to the forum - it looks like Aussies have a real presence in the Haffie world.

Sorry but I am not able to answer much of the information you seek. I don't think that in later Aussie Haffies there was no difference between APs and APTs - mine is a AP but has all the T equipment - maybe you could order an APT and it came with everything or you could order an AP and then option it with T equipment as required.

Also cannot help with SA rego information - some States will release information but others refuse on the basis of privacy concerns. You can but ask. However you can get the chassis number as it is stamped on the side of the gearbox - on the drivers side. But if it has a difference gearbox then that will not be much use.

I understand the Bandiana Army Museum has a Haflinger and floats but it is not on display - maybe speak to them for more information.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

stankem wrote:3. a civilian 700AP without an engine (I am still trying to identify it but it has no ID plates or an engine and this makes it a little difficult)
There should be a chassis / gearbox number stamped on the foreword end of the gearbox - before it reaches the prop shaft. That might give you an idea of its age etc. The 7 digit number will be in the form of something like 535xxxx, stamped vertically, with each digit just under 1cm tall. You should be able to see it if you look at the drive train from just in front of the rear wheel on the (UK) driver's side.

I've attached a photo of one - can't recall when or where it was taken - but it might help you locate where to look ...
Attachments
DSCF0013 (1).jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
maxhafli

Post by maxhafli »

Hi Stan,

welcome to the forum! :-)
in the attached picture you can see where to find the VIN number .....APTL = tropical version with PTO................I hope you have help ! and congratulations for your Haflinger!
Attachments
haf-numbers_page_2.jpg
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

And a another Haflinger emerges from the undergrowth!

Are any of them runners? Much more fun to have one that is a runner and another which you can spend the next several years rebuilding.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
brad

Post by brad »

Stan.

Good to see another Aust ex army surface. I've been looking for a ex army one for a while now but can never find one.
Here you are only 50 kms away from me. Would be good to catch up one day as TGN is my work area.

I have a web site dedicated to ARN numbers. It is only for army ARN and info on Haflinger, Mokes and Ferret Scout Cars.
(my other 2 passions)

http://www.users.on.net/~gbear/index.html If you have not seen it.

Much of the info below is from there. It would be good to add some pis to it?

I have the following info: You may already have?

ARN 101-827
Year 1966
Census No 6002
Truck, Utility. 1/4ton, GS Lightweight.
Engine no 5358529
Chassis No 5357896
Body 700
Battalion: 4th B.O.D.
For disposal -8/11/1972
Auctioned on 19/12/1972
Schedule No: 983/M959/19 4B/F24

As the 4th I believe is in QLD I guess it would have been auctioned in Townsville

Trailer Info.

ARN 101890
Trailer, Cargo, 1/4 Ton
Type: W53
Year 1966
Chassis No TW53-43
Battalion: 21st Supply
Schedule No: VP/M16 2300/1SUP1/139 I/V VP/M66
For disposal - 23/11/1977
Auctioned on 27.02.1978

21st Supply is in NSW so Auctions may have been there.

Brad
Brad

2 x 700AP 1971 , 1973 Rebuilding
1966 Ex Army Haffy 101823 Rebuilding
1966 Hafflinger Trailer 101889
2 x 700AP Scrapping
Ferret Scout Car Mk1 115191
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115318
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115360
5 Army Mokes with Trailers
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Brad - I assume you are aware/a member of www.remlr.com They have lots of general information and ARNs and have access to the original ARN and other records form most vehicle.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
stankem

Post by stankem »

All thanks for your information and help.
As far as the civilian Haflinger is concerned I haven’t had a chance to check the Chassis number location but I will get onto it this week. I will also put up a couple of photos - it isn’t pretty, but I still would like to rebuild it. If you have a passion then the cost is (almost) unimportant (especially if you have time). I have started talking to South Australian rego authorities and I have some info . Will keep you informed as to how east it is to get old information from SA

Garry, thanks for the AP/APTL information. You mention T fittings. I assume T is for tropical? What do you understand the T fittings are? I guess it was the cyclonic air filter at the front, and the “open” bash plate under the engine and you mentioned the PTO as well. Anything else come to mind?

Brad as far as the information on the Army Haflinger is concerned I did know some of this but I wasn’t aware of the actual Battalion Numbers and Auction date. I will check out your website and yes some time it would be good to say g’day.
Under the rules in this site how does this occur whilst keeping all nice and clean? Maybe we all need an Australian Treffen? The dismantling part of this work has started and I intend to lift the body off next week if family and work permit
As for Bandianna; I have been up there and crawled all over the display Haflinger but didn’t know there was float one in the background … looks like another trip is on the cards!

Some of the English Haflinger club stuff is interesting but I suppose I should get their permission before I put it up here. Are some of our English members for this forum, members of the English club as well?
All the best Stan
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

stankem wrote:Are some of our English members for this forum, members of the English club as well?
John (heinkeljb) and I certainly are - and no doubt there are others too!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Me too.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

If you are a member of the Haflinger and Pinzgauer club Uk, then you will be more than welcome to upload pictures to the club web site along with uploading them to here.

The UK web site is unfortunately not as well frequented as this one and there where only 47 people registered on the web site last time I looked and about 15 topics!. I like the way it displays a random picture from the photo gallery every time you visit - one of the reasons I uploaded a fair number of pictures!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
brad

Post by brad »

Gary,

I have visited the RELM site ages ago and found it good but some parts were missing in the link.
Once a year usually a PH in Melb I go to the Aust War Memorial and crawl through their records.
I then scan the pages with a hand scanner and convert to a spread sheet when I get home. Hours and Hours of data
No photocopying permitted as you will break the spine of the book Pic only.
This W/E is also the swap meet in Canberra. The only meet I know that has lots of mini/moke part.
Thou I have never seen any haffy parts ever at a swap meet in the part 15 years.

Hence all the info on my web page on Haflingers and others are from the AWM records.
Same place RELM got them. I find RELM is more Land Rover based.
I have just concentrated on the 3 types of vehicles I'm interested in.

Talk to you soon.

Brad
Brad

2 x 700AP 1971 , 1973 Rebuilding
1966 Ex Army Haffy 101823 Rebuilding
1966 Hafflinger Trailer 101889
2 x 700AP Scrapping
Ferret Scout Car Mk1 115191
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115318
Ferret Scout Car Mk2 115360
5 Army Mokes with Trailers
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Brad - yes REMLR is a Landrover registry but is expanding and I am thinking of suggesting that they become Aust Ex Mil vehicles.

I am surprised you were able to get information from the AWM as they maintain equipment and information on ex war related items not ex military items - eg as our Haflingers did not go to war there is none in their collection nor do they have information on my Landrover FC101.

REMLR got most of their information from the old Bandiana Servic Records which included most vehicle types in service. I believe that Bandiana has three Haflingers, the one on display with trailer, the one with the floats which is not on display and a third that I have heard about but not seen. As I was helping them with information and parts to restore their FC101 I had access to their restoration area a while back where they did mention the third Haflinger but I didn't follow it up at the time.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)