Trying to locate a 1963/4 Haflinger I once drove.

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
richardAJgriffin

Trying to locate a 1963/4 Haflinger I once drove.

Post by richardAJgriffin »

Photo taken by fellow traveller.
Photo taken by fellow traveller.
Hi, I'm trying to locate a Haflinger which belonged to my mother and which I drove to eastern Turkey 50 years ago this month.
It was registered in 1963/4 by Ryders Autoservice (now defunct, I believe) as a demonstration model. My mother bought it in 1964 and its reg. number was DEM 2. That number is now on a Range Rover (I found this out through a tyre-sales website). It is a long wheelbase model with a fibreglass cabin, four seats and a canvas rear section. I don't know who bought it from my mother when it was sold circa 1965/6, from Newbury, Berkshire. I have photos taken in 1964; see attached file. Any clues, gratefully received. Regards, Richard Griffin.
Julian B

Re: Trying to locate a 1963/4 Haflinger I once drove.

Post by Julian B »

Hi Richard,

What a wonderful tale - and a great journey that must have been. I am not aware of any way to find out what happened to your Haflinger now that the reg has been transferred, but it would be fantastic if you were able to locate it.

Ryders is, as you say, defunct as a Haflinger dealer (they just sell winches now AIUI); my 1962 SWB Haflinger came from them too.

Good luck with your quest!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
richardAJgriffin

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it was a great journey but marred by gearbox trouble which meant a long journey along the Black Sea (the Haflinger having been winched aboard a tramp steamer, unloaded in Istanbul, taken by train to Graz for repair; all arranged by two of us school-leavers with no Turkish, repaired in Graz, while we hitch-hiked the whole west coast of Turkey and back to Graz!). I'll try the DLA for transfers of reg. numbers. Richard
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

A great tale - I hope you find the information you are after.

My learning continues as I thought the polycab was only fitted to later models - fitted as early as 64 is much earlier than I thought.

Cheers and please keep us informed on your progress.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Try and get hold of details of the Range Rover owner and ask him where / when he put the plate on his vehicle. That might give you some idea of what happened to the Haflinger. It might also be an idea to find out what you have to do to transfer number plates between vehicle, i.e. did the number plate that was on the Range Rover get put on the Haflinger?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

garrycol wrote:My learning continues as I thought the polycab was only fitted to later models - fitted as early as 64 is much earlier than I thought.
Garry, There is a September 1962 Haf on eBay at the moment with a polycab - not sure how original the cab is though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131256312071? ... EBIDX%3AIT

GBP 12k (or best offer over 5k :? ) seems a lot of money for a highly non-original (nor complete) machine - but good luck to the vendor anyway.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Julian B wrote:GBP 12k (or best offer over 5k :? ) seems a lot of money for a highly non-original (nor complete) machine - but good luck to the vendor anyway.
So it is not only me that thinks this one is a tad over priced.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Comparing it with all the other Haflinger's which have come up for auction / sale in the last couple of years, at approximately £5000 it is not really overpriced for a vehicle that would not take much to get road worthy according to the posting. Will never make the £12,000 unless it is bought by someone who has just won the lottery!

They are after all, only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If you have been looking and not found one, you are quite likely to go for the next one you see for sale.

Anyone who has had long term dealings with Haflinger will always say things are overpriced because they remember what they paid for theirs (years ago). Inflation, scarcity, nostalgia all play a part in driving the prices up.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

yes, DEM2 was a Ryder's demonstrator vehicle. There exists a picture where it is shown together with two other Hafs with plates DEM1 and DEM3, I'll try and find it tomorrow.
Ryders still exists, I think they are mainly into used vehicles now, see http://www.ryders.co.uk/. As Julian mentioned, they also have a winch business: http://www.ryderswinch.co.uk/

Kind regards,
Constantin
richardAJgriffin

Thanks Constantin. I hope you can find the photo. Quite nostalgic! Richard
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

sorry for the delay, here is the picture I had mentioned. I took the note that this was Ryders' demonstrator fleet in 1963. It is possible that the picture was taken at Earls Court in London, where Ryders used to exhibit at the Royal Smithfield show, but I am not sure. Maybe we can find out more about the door/park in the background.

Thanks Jim Dixon for the photo.

Kind regards,
Constantin
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Those two are very tall! I know the Haflinger is not very big, but to tower above it like that! The guy in the poly look like his head is touchinghte roof as well.

John